Playstation 4

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Same. I'll order is on Amazon or just run to Best Buy super quick. I will stay away from Gamestop.

Best Buy is just as bad though lately. I bought a $99 HP Wireless printer (Cheap) which received good reviews. This is how it went:

* I place the printer on the counter (Right in front of the cashier FYI) to pay for it.
* Best Buy Cashier says, "Hold on just one second while I finish this up."
(Finishes something up)
* Best Buy Cashier looks at me and my wife and says, "SO! WHAT BRINGS YOU IN TODAY!"
* I look down and say, "Well, we are here to pay for our printer."
* Best Buy Cashier says, "FANTASTIC. You know, you should really get the 2 year replacement plan on this. It's only $24.99."
* Me: "No thanks."
* Best Buy Cashier, "Are you sure?"
* Me: "Yes. I have a hard time putting $25.00 down for a warranty on a 99 dollar device."
* Best Buy Cashier, "Ok but just an FYI... sometimes the wireless card has been known to go out on this model"
* Me: "So you are knowingly selling a defective device?"
* Best Buy Cashier, "No no not defective... just sometimes a surge can hit it and....
* Me: "Ring me up. Now"

Best Buy wonders why they are doing so poorly. I get better information from the internet and reviews than any of their "expert" reps, and I get 2 day free shipping and for now do not have to pay Tax with Amazon. Plus they have great customer service.

Amazon all the way.
I know paying tax is an annoyance for a lot of people but that doesn't really bother me that much. What I really value from Amazon and other online services the most isrelevant advice. On Amazon I do a search for a product I am interested in then I drop everything that doesn't have at least 4 stars and up because when there are 1000 options why even bother with less then 4 stars? Then I try to find the product with the highest number of reviews which generally signifies a lot of real people bought it and not just spoofing. Then I can click on several of them and read reviews which have been upvoted by people who own the product and find the information relevant. Usually the topmost reviews contain a wealth of information about exactly what I am going to see when I get this product home and 9.9 times out of 10 they have been spot on. Even going so far as to have tips for how to deal with common/minor issues or modify the product to get the most out of it.

Now if I go to my local store the best I can hope for is some vague assurances that it will do what I want it to do and no details that lay out common issues/solutions, better/cheaper/newer alternatives, or extremely competitive pricing.

The service I get doing it myself shouldn't be thiseasilysuperior to what I get in a store.

Juvarisx

Florida
Seeing as the PS3 had wifi in 2006, im going to go with yes. I never understood why MS didn't include that in the 360

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yea, it has WiFi. PS3 always had one as well. MS charged out the ass for their shitty adapter.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah they are fucking ridiculous which is why, at times when I was living in an apartment, I'd have a 75 foot cable across my apartment going into the router.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know paying tax is an annoyance for a lot of people but that doesn't really bother me that much. What I really value from Amazon and other online services the most isrelevant advice. On Amazon I do a search for a product I am interested in then I drop everything that doesn't have at least 4 stars and up because when there are 1000 options why even bother with less then 4 stars? Then I try to find the product with the highest number of reviews which generally signifies a lot of real people bought it and not just spoofing. Then I can click on several of them and read reviews which have been upvoted by people who own the product and find the information relevant. Usually the topmost reviews contain a wealth of information about exactly what I am going to see when I get this product home and 9.9 times out of 10 they have been spot on. Even going so far as to have tips for how to deal with common/minor issues or modify the product to get the most out of it.

Now if I go to my local store the best I can hope for is some vague assurances that it will do what I want it to do and no details that lay out common issues/solutions, better/cheaper/newer alternatives, or extremely competitive pricing.

The service I get doing it myself shouldn't be thiseasilysuperior to what I get in a store.
Yeah, Amazon is starting to really cut into the market share of places like Walmart and BestBuy. People are tired of the understaffed stores, empty shelves, employees who don't know much, etc. On top of that, they throw all their warranties and other marketing gimmicks are you when you get to the register, and it makes for a horrible experience.

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
Yeah, Amazon is starting to really cut into the market share of places like Walmart and BestBuy. People are tired of the understaffed stores, empty shelves, employees who don't know much, etc. On top of that, they throw all their warranties and other marketing gimmicks are you when you get to the register, and it makes for a horrible experience.
I am a college student working at Best Buy to help pay for school, and I can assure you every one of those employees hates telling you about the warranties as much as you hate hearing about it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I am a college student working at Best Buy to help pay for school, and I can assure you every one of those employees hates telling you about the warranties as much as you hate hearing about it.
Yeah, my younger brother worked there for about a year and he absolutely loathed the pressure that was put on them with those plans.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Trust me, I know it isn't the employees fault. I've worked retail. I know how loathsome that shit is.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't going to pre-order anything, especially since I missed the launch edition, but Watch Dogs launch edition bundle might actually get me to do it... plus can cancel amazon order at any time if I change my mind
Yeah really no pressure here this way. Plus no ridiculous deposits, the bundles aren't ridiculously expensive (Forcing to buy like 2-3 games and a controller) and you can cancel without penalty if you change your mind. Plus, if you do decide to go with it, it comes to your door without having to deal with massive amounts of idiots.

spronk

FPS noob
if amazon doesn't ship out all these PS4/xbones with signature required, its going to be a shitstorm of kids stealing expensive boxes from front porches, since they will all be showing up pretty much the same day everywhere. Some asshole stole a wireless mouse from my porch once, amazon was cool though and shipped a new one out with signature required.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
if amazon doesn't ship out all these PS4/xbones with signature required, its going to be a shitstorm of kids stealing expensive boxes from front porches, since they will all be showing up pretty much the same day everywhere. Some asshole stole a wireless mouse from my porch once, amazon was cool though and shipped a new one out with signature required.
Rule of thumb for most of the shipments that I've seen from UPS/FedEx is that over $250 it's required regardless of what the shipping company requested. Will be the first time going this high with Amazon personally though.

Not that it matters for me fortunately - wife and I have schedules open enough we'll just slack when tracking pops for it to be due.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I bought a $1700 TV from Amazon in '06. The thing was totally tits. They had a standard box truck deliver it (instead of UPS), and 2 guys to unload it and bring it into my house. I was even able to quickly set it up and make sure it worked before they left. If it was DoA, I would have boxed it back up and given it back as a refused delivery. Then Amazon would send me another.

Really great company to deal with.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bought a $1700 TV from Amazon in '06. The thing was totally tits. They had a standard box truck deliver it (instead of UPS), and 2 guys to unload it and bring it into my house. I was even able to quickly set it up and make sure it worked before they left. If it was DoA, I would have boxed it back up and given it back as a refused delivery. Then Amazon would send me another.

Really great company to deal with.
Heard similar experiences with them and Newegg on stuff like that - apparently they subcontract out to locals that actually handle the install or something - apparently for DOAs the turnaround is REALLY quick when they happen too from what I've heard.

Still dealt with big box for my TVs though - probably next big appliance (likely dryer - its ancient - resurrected it thrice now with jury rigging) I'll probably try the Amazon route though.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Used Amazon for my last TV as well but it was delivered by UPS. Nothing but amazing experiences with Amazon so far though, been a Prime member since they started it and never looked back.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Another vote for Amazon and Amazon prime membership. I live next to one of the biggest distribution facilities Amazon has built shit is convenient as hell. Buy all my schoolbooks on there, for one thing. Always better priced than the University costs for the same shit.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It would be awesome if they offered local pickups. Then you could do same day. Not me, though. Closest distro is a state away. A small state (Delaware), but a state none the less.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think they played around with same day deliveries awhile back, at least where I live. We have a pretty big distribution center here. Anyway, amazon and prime is awesome, they have the best CS. I've had them replace shit that UPS marked as delivered and that I never got with no questions. Just told me that if the other one showed up to send it back.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Just to add to brief fanboi derail - Prime member for a while now, Amazon is phenomenal. Bought my first LCD tv from them - free white glove shipping, CEVA delivered, they brought it in, asked me where I'd like it set up, unboxed it, plugged it in and popped the batteries in the remote and handed it to me. Said to look it over and make sure everything was ok or he'd box it up and have another shipped out to deliver in 1 - 2 days.