Playstation 5

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No one on Twitter that I've seen got one, they all say it was there for a moment and gone instantly, quicker than people could possibly have ordered it.

Ramar

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think my order actually went through... It originally said "out of stock" at checkout, but I tried again for the hell of it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sony should track the location these are sold to (area code for delivery) and then block all credit card transactions for games, logins, everything if they are moved out of that area code for the first 6 months, unless plugged in and registered to a specific user/unique ID while in the area code.

I fucking hate scalpers; they're literally the worst people alive.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Sony should track the location these are sold to (area code for delivery) and then block all credit card transactions for games, logins, everything if they are moved out of that area code for the first 6 months, unless plugged in and registered to a specific user/unique ID while in the area code.

I fucking hate scalpers; they're literally the worst people alive.
I hate capitalism when I don't win! Wahhh!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not really, capitalism is fine. This is people exploiting a system that is inherently broken. Exactly like ticket resellers/ticketmaster/etc. What companies should do, since these boxes have serials anyway, is tie the serial to the CC that people use to purchase it. The only way to unlock the serial is to either return it to the point of sale/sale company, which then notifies Sony that the serial is unlocked and it can be repurposed.

Similar to how NIN handled concerts awhile back when scalpers were being the cock-gobblers they are and kept making his concerts super expensive without the artist seeing the money. Each ticket was tied to a name, not a scannable number.

They should do the same for hardware sales, especially in cases like this. The serial gets tied to the name of the person who purchased it, and the only way to change it is to reach out to Sony directly and show proof of purchase and that you are transferring it. Similar to how Dell handles licenses for enterprise servers.

It's a little overhead, but I'm sure the people who don't want to deal with shitheels wouldn't mind not having to pay "middle man" prices that in no way benefits the company, only the assholes who only intend to resell.

Incidentally, paying the stores/seller's price vs. someone who is scalping is not winning, it's the system working as intended. Scalping/being a piece of shit is like anchor babies; clearly not intended.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That would cut into their bottom line of launch number sales and they aren't about to do it. They don't care about gamers, only the money.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
How would it cut into their bottom line? Sony/retailers aren't getting any of that money, and they would sell out exactly the same without the resellers. It 100% literally only benefits the piece of shit scalper unless there is a massive difference between number of people who want to buy one vs. those who scalp. For major consoles like this and the limited runs they initially have, I'm pretty sure they would sell out regardless (especially given the hype.)

6 months from now if there are still scalpers actively doing this, then sure that probably inflates their numbers. But aside from the xbox one being shit at release and having no good games, Sony systems haven't undersold in at least 20 years.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It would make sense for these retailers to do staggered releases of batches. Instead of putting up 5000 at 9 PM, put up 500 at a time at ten random intervals throughout the evening. Rewards people who are staying on it. ...and bots though. But yeah, at the very least it would keep hope alive for people trying.

Microsoft actually has a golden opportunity here. With this botched PS5 rollout, MS could put up their new systems for preorder and capitalize on desperate people who think they've missed out on the PS5 and would be happy just grabbing something next-gen. I remember about 13 years ago this kinda happened to me where I wasn't able to get a PS3 so I settled for a 360 "because it'll play most of the same games anyway" rather than just waiting for a PS3.