Playstation 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has nothing to do with Sony's system, they just want more sales.
It does though. The default system on PS is to fuck the consumer every way possible. Studios have to do extra work to unfuck the system if they want upgrades to be free, and having it "just work" is practically impossible (in my experience, it's much more likely to not work at all for at least the first few days of a cross-buy game's release.. Hitman 3 immediately comes to mind).

On Xbox the default system is Smart Delivery which actually does "just work" and the console always downloads the correct version. If there's a company like 2K/Take-Two that insists on fucking their customers Sony-style, they have to go out of their way to do it by manually creating the same sort of bullshit that exists on the PS Store. Like what they did with GTA V, The Quarry, Tiny Tina's Shitshow, etc. in which all the games have the retarded "for Xbox Series X|S" appended to them with an extra $10 surcharge.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
It does though. The default system on PS is to fuck the consumer every way possible. Studios have to do extra work to unfuck the system if they want upgrades to be free, and having it "just work" is practically impossible (in my experience, it's much more likely to not work at all for at least the first few days of a cross-buy game's release.. Hitman 3 immediately comes to mind).

On Xbox the default system is Smart Delivery which actually does "just work" and the console always downloads the correct version. If there's a company like 2K/Take-Two that insists on fucking their customers Sony-style, they have to go out of their way to do it by manually creating the same sort of bullshit that exists on the PS Store. Like what they did with GTA V, The Quarry, Tiny Tina's Shitshow, etc. in which all the games have the retarded "for Xbox Series X|S" appended to them with an extra $10 surcharge.

This. On Playstation, a PS4 version, a PS5 version, a physical copy and a digital copy all have different game IDs. This is also why save files don't work between versions unless you have a system to export/import them, or why if you had a physical copy and go digital you basically have to redownload the whole thing.
On Xbox, a game is considered the same game, whatever its platform or its delivery method is, unless the publishers fuck with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It reminds me of this pet peeve of mine I have w/ Amazon:

1658423646970.png

1658423677389.png

1658423697641.png

That's 5 versions of Dr. Strange. They've started moving bonus features to X-Ray, but at times in the past Bonus Features were literally just slapped on after the credits, you had to seek to them, some movies appeared to be 5+ hours long as a result. I think I also had one movie that had a commentary track... so the entire movie was duplicated on the same timeline.

Aladdin is 5+ hours because of the bonus features, lol.

1658424242484.png

But yeah, back to Sony... I never even considered to look and see if the PC releases have cross-saves because they've just set the bar so low for their ecosystem. When they did cross-save/buy in the past it was to generate revenue and get you to buy an upgraded SKU rather than a value added perk of the ecosystem and then like so many other initiatives (streaming, instant game collection, mobile gaming, IPTV) they gave up and then someone came along and did it better. I just don't look to them for innovations when it comes to software.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone do the PlayStation Direct queues? Made to checkout but their site is shitting the bed.

IdontknowwhatIexpected.jpg

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Until they remove the 1 per household rule most of us can't bother with PS Direct again, but supply is starting to become more available so maybe a spike in traffic

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Just snagged one. Had a hang-up with fraud prevention kicking off that I had to clear.

spronk

FPS noob
PS5s come into stock at best buy weekly, just gotta use gpudrop or the app to see when/where/etc. there are trackers, reseller demand is fairly low at this point. Not quite GPU (dead) but most resellers are making like $30-50 per console so the incentive is really, really low. There is another bundle in store at gamestop this saturday but they expect you to blow $800 on bullshit like extra controllers and $70 msrp shit games, the last bundle made you pay $70 for COD vanguard lol

hasn't been in stock at target or walmart either for a spell so should see another big wave of drops pretty soon. Until God of War 2 i don't think demand is gonna be that high anyways.

there are also listings up at amazon that are "queue for an invite" similar to PS Direct

Crone

This. On Playstation, a PS4 version, a PS5 version, a physical copy and a digital copy all have different game IDs. This is also why save files don't work between versions unless you have a system to export/import them, or why if you had a physical copy and go digital you basically have to redownload the whole thing.
On Xbox, a game is considered the same game, whatever its platform or its delivery method is, unless the publishers fuck with it.
So that's why my saves from Physical Ps4 Spider-man don't work on Digital PS5 Spider-man. Mother fuckers.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
no the saves do transfer over but it won't always download the saves before the game starts and then creates a new save which overwrites your cloud save (yeah its dumb), best thing always when you install a new game on a new system that may have saves from your old system is to check cloud saves before you start the game and force a sync.

it was easier before because you could copy to a USB drive all your important saves but PS5s dont allow USB save copies, only up/down from the cloud because save files were being used to hack and cheat.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
it was easier before because you could copy to a USB drive all your important saves but PS5s dont allow USB save copies, only up/down from the cloud because save files were being used to hack and cheat.

Smoke and mirrors to sell PS Plus for cloud saves.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can still do a backup restore with your old saves, but that would literally format the drive and erase all new games and new saves you had after.

Someone should sue over the USB thing but big corporation and all.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
great set of games for august, ive played em all already but wouldn't mind revisiting Yakuza

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Awesome, I played the shit out of Tony hawk in college, be good to get my kids into it.

• 1Like

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
If anyone needs a code for the new beta firmware that enables 1440p support, this code will get you 4 more uses. Just holler if you use it: 56L8-GHNX-HJ5R

• 2Like

Vorph

LOL, is there nothing Sony can't fuck up? They add 1440p support but can't manage to make it work with the VRR they just (finally) added in the previous update. The whole point of 1440p is to use it with a PC monitor which is pretty much guaranteed to support VRR, unlike the vast majority of TVs still.

• 1Like