Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I'm halfway through lvl 19. My plan was to get to around 20 then start evolving and powering up my bigger pokemon. With one lucky egg left, should I do another round of leveling up Pidgeys and Weedles for xp or is it better to start getting Tier 3 Pok?mon?

Neph_sl

shitlord
Depends on your goals. Pidgeot and Beedrill aren't great end-game Pokemon, but if you don't have them in your Pokedex yet / are looking to catch them all, then you can evolve one of each just to have them. However, if your goal is to get the strongest Pokemon the fastest and don't care about collecting them all right now, then it's more efficient to just spend to get a bunch of Pidgey and Weedle to their second evolutions and not evolve them any further. It's not impossible to find Pidgeot and Beedrill in the wild, so you might not have to spend the 50 candy to fill out your Pokedex.

Given your plan to hit 20, which is a reasonable goal, I would just evolve to tier 2 first until you get 20 and then start stocking up candy to fill out your Pokedex.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I use a RAM mount on my bike for my phone. Use it as navigation and some such anyway. Pokemon was just up all the time. Need to bring a battery with me if I am out too long, but since I am rehabing one of my knees I can't really go more than 1 - 2 hours anyway.

rrr_img_137161.jpg
How are you cycling and getting the eggs to work? You have to ride very, very fucking slow and I don't see how that's even possible. Niantic (or whatever) needs to allow people to use eggs at speeds other than <10mph.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just getting into this and am level 10 - are you supposed to enter your trainer level at the time you caught the Pokemon? Is the IV rater really only meant for 'end game'?

I picked what I assume is a shitty Abra to test this out as it's basically impossible to screw up the arc (i.e. CP24 so it has to be level 2), entered the HP (10) and verified the candy upgrade (200 dust) and got a "you fucked up" message.

Seems to work for the more recent ones I caught though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How are you cycling and getting the eggs to work? You have to ride very, very fucking slow and I don't see how that's even possible. Niantic (or whatever) needs to allow people to use eggs at speeds other than <10mph.
Every place I've seen has said the limit is 20mph, not 10.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Reposted from Reddit, made me laugh:

rrr_img_137164.jpg

I hit that park with the Magmars up again tonight. Was even more packed with people. Took a couple shots for people interested.

This triple lure spot is actually a hexa-lure spot if you walk back and forth 20 meters or so.

EfVX1s4.jpg

Everyone here is playing Pokemon go. 11pm on a weekday. It was full of people like this in every direction for a couple hundred meters, as well as thousands of people in the park proper.

9zXNmZE.jpg

They also have a bunch of stands set up selling fresh fried chicken, beer, squid on a stick, takoyaki, all the regular stuff.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Just getting into this and am level 10 - are you supposed to enter your trainer level at the time you caught the Pokemon? Is the IV rater really only meant for 'end game'?

I picked what I assume is a shitty Abra to test this out as it's basically impossible to screw up the arc (i.e. CP24 so it has to be level 2), entered the HP (10) and verified the candy upgrade (200 dust) and got a "you fucked up" message.

Seems to work for the more recent ones I caught though.
Coincidentally I had the same issue with Abra earlier, and it's the only pokemon I ever had an issue with regarding that site.
After 3 upgrades I was able to get a reading that wasn't 'you fucked up'

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Coincidentally I had the same issue with Abra earlier, and it's the only pokemon I ever had an issue with regarding that site.
After 3 upgrades I was able to get a reading that wasn't 'you fucked up'
The calculators become less accurate the lower level a pokemon is, and at lvl 1-2 become completely incalculable. All lvl 1 pokemon have something like 400k possible IV combinations, it can't be narrowed down until they're higher level because it's calculated off their CP and HP.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So what is the speed limit for hatching? : TheSilphRoad

Apparently it's ~11mph in a linear distance measured every 60 seconds. People are saying that's datamined info. So if you're traveling faster than the limit but not traveling in a straight line, you might average out below the limit. Definitely changes things a bit, if that's accurate then I might be losing a lot of linear distance during my pokestop, or I might be losing very little, need to go time each leg of hte loop with a stopwatch.

It's ironic as hell that Niantic apparently doesn't want people riding bikes considering how prominent bikes feature in the Pokemon games.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am basically not getting it to work. Even putting in no effort I still end up biking faster than 10mph. I just keep it on in for rare Pokemon and supplies. The distance I get is just an extra bonus from start / stop and hills etc.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless I'm wildly off the mark, you just want the highest dps moves. The type only matters if the 20% damage bonus would raise the dps up above the other against weak types, but that would be pretty rare. For example, Scyther can have either steel wing or fury cutter as quick attacks. Even against an enemy that was weak to bug type and strong against steel type, steel wing would still do more damage than fury cutter, 9dps vs 9.3 dps.

Example: an Exeggutor using zen headbutt/psychic does more damage against a Vaporeon than a Raichu using spark/thunder punch because the higher dps of the Exeggutor's moves outweigh the damage bonus electric gets against water.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Disappointment city tonight. My only 10k ever hatched into an eevee which I have a million of and then had a ??? to a lvl 21 Blastoise run away from me while we were at RIT. BF got his at least.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
desktop map clears up pretty nicely once you turn rattata off. Fuck those things. Worth less than half the xp of a pidgey/weedle/caterpie.