Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Wife woke up to an EX raid pass this morning from a Starbucks across the street she got a Swablu at. Lucky bitch.

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Wife woke up to an EX raid pass this morning from a Starbucks across the street she got a Swablu at. Lucky bitch.

I will never get an EX-pass because the sponsored gyms here have 10's of thousands of people raiding at them every week and only 150 max can be selected.

I have to hope that Niantic gives some kind of alternative for catching Mewtwo, either opening him up to regular raids, or "everyone gets an ex pass" or some kind of event.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The combination of double hatch candy and 1/4 pokemon egg hatch distance is absolutely dirty. I managed to hatch two Bagon, a Feebas, a Beldum and a Trapinch for 40-60 candy a pop and pretty much completed my dex then and there.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Window just started here, hoping to make out like a bandit.

Edit - Well, I got only got two 10 eggs during the entire window and they were Trapinch/Mareep. I did get 4 shiny though and I'm sitting on like 700 candies.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Next community day confirmed Charmander, May 19/20 depending on where you are. Black Charizard here I come, easily one of the best shinies.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Pretty stoked for community day, will be my first one.
How did it go? Wife and I got 7 shiny in total.

Screenshot_20180519-151345.jpg

Chris

Potato del Grande
Started playing again, decided against doing the community event since ones the odds of a shiny AND wonder Charizard? I'd rather put the dust into Arcanines/Flareons.

Please don't tell me that Shinies are automatically wonders... I'd have major regret if that's true!

Going to be much more casual now since I ragequit the first time trying to min max getting legendary birds and caught zero due to bad luck/throws/connection/bugs, still I'm on the last step of getting Mew now. Just 50 berry catches needed and the curveball throw.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
How did it go? Wife and I got 7 shiny in total.

View attachment 166745

We were the only ones in our town actually walking, saw a lot of people driving from stop to stop. There were seven lured stops on our loop. Girlfriend caught five shinies, I only caught one, and didn't even see it til 4:35pm. Was really starting to think my bad luck was going to hit me in PGo too.

Ended up with one pretty strong non-shiny, and I'm working on powering up my shiny one, just for the coolness factor of being able to drop a 2100+CP shiny Charizards in the local gyms.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Ended up with an 87% shiny. 13-13-13. Was hyped for a 100% during the appraisal until that last screen touch. Oh well, can't complain!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Please don't tell me that Shinies are automatically wonders... I'd have major regret if that's true!
I actually caught a 1/1/1 shiny, lol. I did catch multiple max atk Charmander and my shiny zard is 14 atk.

The thing that makes Charizard useful now though is the special charge move you could only get during the 3 hour window. Community days are half about finding shinies and half about getting unique moves.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Is it worth powering up a Pokemon with lower IVs but a higher starting CP, to save candy/stardust? How much do IVs really matter?

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Is it worth powering up a Pokemon with lower IVs but a higher starting CP, to save candy/stardust? How much do IVs really matter?
It's never worth powering up a pokemon with shit IVs.

There's very little difference in actual combat ability with IVs... You just get to max damage at a lower level but since you can't change IVs, any resources spent cannot be recouped. The difference between an 80% and 100% pokemon is less than 2% in actual ability. So as a general rule of thumb, any combat pokemon should at least be 80% (Mystic - Wonder / Exceeds) to be powered up -- there's no point in holding out for that 98-100% combat pokemon.

But hey, it's your stardust and candy, and those things are farmable.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's never worth powering up a pokemon with shit IVs.

There's very little difference in actual combat ability with IVs

Those two statements seem contradictory to me. If there's very little difference then, to me at least, I'd rather conserve my stardust. I checked out my IVs last night for the first time, and some of my most useful Pokemon have pretty cruddy IVs. Wasn't sure how much better they'd be with better IVs, but yeah, if it's not much, then I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. :). Thanks tho.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
In practice, attacks are much more important than IV, those however can be changed through farming TM's. For defenders, I would say IV are almost completely irrelevant. Anyone can beat a gym regardless if you left a 100% Blissey in it or not. For attackers, I would say anything with a 15 atk IV is worth powering up to 30 if it's meta-relevant.

Perfect mons really only matter when you get into solo t3 / duo t4 / trio t5 territory. When surviving an extra attack round or doing 2 more dps actually matters.

A longer explanation would include a discussion on breakpoints, where a 15 atk monster might only need to reach level 30, but a 10 atk might need to be level 35 to do the same damage. That's a lot of extra candy and stardust investment.

Best case scenario is finding a weather boosted Pokemon with good IV. Boosted monsters can go up to level 35 in the wild (if player is at least level 33).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user