Pokemon Card Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
my 6 year old loves catching pokemons on my phone and recently a friend in his summer day care showed him the card game. i played MtG a ton when it came out, so looking forward to this. Aside from the current phone game and the Southpark episode, i know nothing about Pokemon.

any thing i really need to know before we buy some packs at Target?

what's the range of rarity rage? if he gets something rare/expansive, should I put it in a protector or at least prevent him from bringing it to school? i can imagine older kids offering him some unfair trades.

how many packs is a good starting amount so he and I can play?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Alright here's the skinny.

Right now certain Pokemon cards are incredibly expensive, I'm talking about $80+ they are also going to increase in price since Pokemon just announced a "Pro-Tour" in the style of magic.

Your best bet is to buy a box set with a preconstructed deck. They sell them at Target and local card shops. They will not come with anything worth money but will be a deck that he can play out of the box. Get one for yourself as well of a different type and learn the rules together and play with him.

If your child opens a "Full Art,Mega,EX" or any other type of card that looks different from the rest, take it and check the price and if it's worth money sell it online and use the money to buy him more cards.

He's 6 so chances are he won't really know how to play or really care about playing most little kids collect the cards. The problem is that a lot of these cards are so expensive that little kids ruin them by playing them without sleeves or bending/drooling on them that they become worthless.

Example:
1070864.jpg

$80
1099961.jpg

$40-50

323332.jpg

$70-80

And various other cards with $50+ price tags. It's not as expensive as let's say Vintage magic. but Pokemon beats the pants off of ANY current card game in terms of return per box.

So, What you do is you take his expensive cards sell them and then buy him cheap EX cards to replace them. Kids are stupid anyways he won't know the difference.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Rise old thread, rise!

Deja vu... My almost 7 yo son loves catching pokemon on my phone, and now kids at school who bring their pokemon cards there, have hooked my son. I used to play MTG quite a bit in high school and beyond, so it's kinda neat. I went and bought 2 premade decks from Target, as well as some tin with a few packs in it, so we can learn together. Gotta say seeing packs with 3 cards is super weird, and normal packs are 10 cards? MTG was 15 iirc. My wallet aches. Have zero clue what I'm doing, or what's the best bang for your buck, so to speak, but looked on Amazon for giggles and I guess fake cards are a big deal, so that seems out. The world is a different place from shitty fake MTG cards in 1995. Too bad, was looking to pick up some bulk shit in the future maybe, but still don't want fakes.

Since we're still at a very basic reading level, right now cards don't have "special abilites", just pay more energy for higher attacks. We'll expand upon that more later. Motivation to learn to read better.

So far old fart dad's only rules are no taking the cards to school, and no trading them. As is, hurts me to see the way he handles them, but, he's young. Open ass, remove stick, dad.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Really enjoying this with my son. Bit simpler than MTG, but I get a big kick outta watching my son get better and faster doing basic math in his head. As predicted he's very interested in learning to read what cards say, which has been great.

Big 2 thumbs up from a nerd dad. 10 years ago I'd have laughed at the notion I'd play Pokemon TCG one day. Who knew.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Hey, I need some advice and help from person or persons who are a lot more familiar with the current state of Pokemon TGC. I have some cards that I think could be valuable, but I honestly have no Idea. I know my 1st Edition Blastoise is probably my most expensive one. Have many more, but I think that the Ninetails is Shadowless, a long with one of my many 1st edition Machamps?

20190623_190530.jpg20190623_190619.jpg20190623_190819.jpg20190623_190850.jpg20190623_190956.jpg20190623_191004.jpg20190623_191012.jpg20190623_191139.jpg20190623_191427.jpg20190623_191004.jpg20190623_191012.jpg20190623_191139.jpg20190623_191427.jpg20190623_191457.jpg

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Check trollandtoad.com or tcgplayer.com for a little better idea. But looks like Dark Raichu might go for a couple bucks? Hitmonchan was arguably one of the best Pokemon in the game in the early days, but was never worth much. Realistically, I have no idea if there even any demand for many cards that old as the game has completely changed multiple times over.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Not sure if I just hit screwed or not bit just sold a 1st edition holo dark Charizard for $160

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I forgot to look that one up, my bad. Kids fuckin love dragons so Charizard has always been a chase card.

Retail ask is $190 so I think you did pretty good.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I was looking up the price of this card and some have it listed at ~$400+. I'm guessing I shouldn't take a $40 offer? Money is relative, so I would like to find somebody where $400+ is $40 to others ;)

20201001_160303.jpg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Is there a company you can send Pokemon cards to similar to like CardKingdom for Magic? I have a bunch of old cards still, but I don't really feel comfortable selling on eBay or through myself on TCGPlayer because I don't trust myself to grade them properly. Would love to just send to some place with a buy list, even if I take a harsher hit on the grading just to a) get these out of the apartment, and b) at least get some money out of them.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
If you have 1st edition base set cards and any shadowless, there is money to be made. I've sold 21 so far and have made over $1k. I bet I could of made more if I did a little more research to be honest.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
If you have 1st edition base set cards and any shadowless, there is money to be made. I've sold 21 so far and have made over $1k. I bet I could of made more if I did a little more research to be honest.

It's hilarious you posted this. I was just about to post asking a question here. This isn't first edition, but I've been told, even with the main box opened, this is worth thousands of dollars.

Is that really accurate? lol, I had this shit in a closet for years after opening the box to play, but then decided not to and never touched it again. It's been sitting like this since, for almost 20 years.

1603950900231.png

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I am sure a whole box is worth something, if it would be worth sooo much more if it was 1st edition.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am sure a whole box is worth something, if it would be worth sooo much more if it was 1st edition.

Yeah for sure. This is already dumb luck. Looks like they are going for $300-$400 each weighted and $200 or so unweighted (1st edition seems to go for double that). Pretty shocked, and unexpected. I called a local place up and asked why they are going up so much, and the answer was pretty interesting. Youtubers opening them for content. The amount they are making per video makes it worth them spending $10000 on cards to open them up. That singular video makes them double that.

I was just gonna sell this shit but I think if youtubers are doing it for content, then they are making what I have even more rare. I dont see pokemon losing its popularity in the future, and there will always be room for collectors, and I don't really need the money.

If my kids get into pokemon, maybe that will be a fucking cool thing to leave them when I'm a corpse.

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Yeah for sure. This is already dumb luck. Looks like they are going for $300-$400 each weighted and $200 or so unweighted (1st edition seems to go for double that). Pretty shocked, and unexpected. I called a local place up and asked why they are going up so much, and the answer was pretty interesting. Youtubers opening them for content. The amount they are making per video makes it worth them spending $10000 on cards to open them up. That singular video makes them double that.

I was just gonna sell this shit but I think if youtubers are doing it for content, then they are making what I have even more rare. I dont see pokemon losing its popularity in the future, and there will always be room for collectors, and I don't really need the money.

If my kids get into pokemon, maybe that will be a fucking cool thing to leave them when I'm a corpse.
I saw a link for a guy that was opening a box of 1st edition base cards and I didn't check out how many views. I did see he paid some exorbitant amount of money for that box which I am sure is pretty freaking rare! So that does make sense that the amount of views that guy got for opening a box of that rarity would break even or even make a lot more depending on what cards he pulled out of it. I am still depressed that I sold my 1st edition Blastoise to a local shop years ago for so much less I could get for it now...

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Still had leftover cards that I never sold when I was a kid, sadly they were mostly damaged condition, but took 'em over to our LGS and got $140 credit for my little pile. Husband had a binder from his childhood that was untouched and he got $320 in cash for all his. Pretty nice night, glad we didn't throw any of that shit out.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I was digging last weekend into my old ass box of collectable shit from 1990s to see if I had any other pokemon stuff, and I ended up finding this...

1618887121973.png

1618887256571.png

Still factory sealed, and contains a set of promotional cards including a 1998 Charizard, Blastoise, etc. I think it's worth a thousand or two.

Beautiful cards. Up close, it says (c) 1996 on them.

1618887398660.png

This is what the charizard in this set looks like though I'm obviously not opening mine.

1618887498482.png

• 2Like