Pokemon Masters

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Pokemon Masters is the Pokemon game for mobile Nintendo has been working on with DeNA (the developers of Final Fantasy Record Keeper).

It's in early release in Singapore (I heard Canada too) but you can play it on Android with the SDK and a VPN spoofing a Singapore IP.
  • SDK:
  • I downloaded a random VPN off googleplay and it works great, was no effort at all.
Graphics
Uses the Pokemon/Trainer models from the 3DS games.
Extremely polished UI just like the other Nintendo IP mobile games.
Uses remixes of songs from the DS games.

Mechanics
All battles are 3 v 3 and pretty fast paced and challenging.

It's ATB not turn based, which is new for Pokemon. It's actually EXACTLY the time system the Final Fantasy 7 remake is using. The ATB has 4 bars which slowly fill, moves require 0-3 bars to use. So you can save up and use one big move, save up and use several small moves in a row, or just spam small moves.

You have 3 pokemon and they all share the same ATB bar. Pokemon have a very short cooldown after doing something. So you can use all of your bars on one pokemon for a big move, or have them all do a small move at the same time. Pokemon also have moves which have 0 cost but have limited uses, usually buffing moves or potions.

After you do a certain number of moves you can fire off an ultimate move. Other than that Pokemon can have up to 4 moves just like the regular games, all the ones I've seen are actual moves and items from the games.

Pokemon only have one elemental weakness which is displayed on screen, so you don't need to memorise the type chart.

Upgrades
I'm still unlocking things but looks like evolutions, additional moves and passive abilities need unlocking using free items you earn playing the game.
The game doesn't seem to have a stamina mechanic, but the best farming dungeons have limited enteries per day. DeNA games (at least FFRK) don't seem to encourage grinding like many mobile games do. You do your daily stuff then go do something else.

Free to Play?
It's a gacha game. You are collecting pokemon/trainer pairs, you get free units from the storyline including apparently the best tank (Snivy -> Serperior) at the end of the second mission. You can also get additional units from the gacha using gems like every other game like this.

Pokemon have a * quality but it looks like you can upgrade 3* to 5* with free items. You get a bonus for pulling multiples of the same unit but doesn't look like a huge boost.

DeNA's other game Final Fantasy Record Keeper has been going for 4 years and is VERY generous with free currency and can credibly be played as a F2P if you strategise well using your resources. They don't do anything predatory in regards to low %s, required paid items and power creep. Their pattern tends to be releasing content you can beat if you have a few of the best items, then powercreeping everyone else to that point over the few next months, however most powercreep is sidegrades so years old items are still useful.

FFRK also has updates once a week, sometimes twice - with all the art assets already done this should be the same.

FFRK has been a great experience, I've played it for 4 years without uninstalling, so I'm looking forward to this!

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Tried playing and even with a Singapore VPN I can't get past the initial splash screen. A screen where most games would have some sort of "Start" button, but I see none.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tried playing and even with a Singapore VPN I can't get past the initial splash screen. A screen where most games would have some sort of "Start" button, but I see none.
Should say tap the screen to begin.

Could be the VPN, I can only connect via Singapore for example, Canada wasn't working for the VPN I'm using. Ironically it's called Canada VPN :/

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been using windscribe VPN for a few years now to listen to NFL games, 10gb a month free and I've never had any issues with it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Should say tap the screen to begin.

Could be the VPN, I can only connect via Singapore for example, Canada wasn't working for the VPN I'm using. Ironically it's called Canada VPN :/

This is what I see. Tried two different VPNs. Screenshot_20190813-123841.png

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's where the flashing tap to start is.

If it's a VPN issue I get "down for maintenance", maybe your phone can't run it? I heard there was something like it only works on 64bit systems or something like that.

I've got a Pixel XL 2 that's fully updated, should be fine. Hm.