Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Official site: Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon

Starters (Anyone who doesn't pick Rowlet is wrong):
PokemonStarters.png

Article describing some of the new features: Feature: Pokémon Sun and Moon - Breaking Down The Most Exciting New Features

Gyms look like they're getting replaced by Island Trials, a series of small quests eventually leading into a boss battle with a Totem Pokemon, who summons smaller Pokemon to their aid, and then a fight with the island's kahuna.

Hyper Training: For the min-maxers, there's Hyper Training which allows you to increase the actual IVs of your Pokemon, which was not previously possible.

Regional Pokemon: Some Pokemon have changed form due the climate of their region, i.e. Sandshrew and Sandslash become Ice/Steel instead of Ground.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The correct answer is always take the water starter in every single game.

• 1Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You need a water type for surf (and dive now?) bro, and in most generations the water starter is the strongest water type in the game anyway.Gen 1, 3, and 4 all have rock types as the first gym you go against and Gen 6 has rock as the second gym, which means taking the fire starter is just handicapping yourself, and you don't even need a fire type for a balanced lineup. Everything fire is strong against can be covered with ice and fighting except bug, and the games with bug gyms have always had them pretty early. I think Gen 6 is the only time I actually bothered with a fire type in my lineup, mainly because volcarona is absolutely amazing.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
You need a water type for surf (and dive now?) bro, and in most generations the water starter is the strongest water type in the game anyway.Gen 1, 3, and 4 all have rock types as the first gym you go against and Gen 6 has rock as the second gym, which means taking the fire starter is just handicapping yourself, and you don't even need a fire type for a balanced lineup. Everything fire is strong against can be covered with ice and fighting except bug, and the games with bug gyms have always had them pretty early. I think Gen 6 is the only time I actually bothered with a fire type in my lineup, mainly because volcarona is absolutely amazing.

Lol, I also used Volcarona as my first fire. I always rotate between grass and water each generation. This time it was grass anyhow. Adorable owl it is.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh god can I get my blurb on the left to display aspies received instead of likes?

• 1Triggered
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Anyone else playing this? It is a big step up from previous games in production value/cut scenes.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Been fun so far, though damn it feels like low level stuff is popping out of balls like crazy. This is just sub-10 shit. I guess maybe because of traditionally higher level stuff being in such low level zones and they just naturally have lower catch rate or something, IDK. Taking my time with this game, though. I tend to blow through these things too quickly and generally miss all the side stuff along the way and never go back to it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I always take the fire starter.

Haters gonna hate.

added:

I also bought Sun instead of Moon.

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Bought it day it came out, took me about 30 hours to finish the story. Regarding the story experience, I think it's one of the better ones we've had in a Pokemon game so far. (Please keep in mind that all judgments I'm about to make are relative to the other Pokemon games. When compared to the broader genre of JRPG games, this game's plot is easily below average. But you're not playing Pokemon for the plot.

Pros:
  • Good characters. S/M (can't believe that's the abbreviation) has some alright characters in it, lacking the cringiness from many of the characters of X/Y. Each of the major characters are enjoyable with very few of them being less-than-tolerable.
  • Great level design. All of the overworld traversable environments (routes, towns, caves, etc.) have fantastic level design. You'll never feel like you're lost or you can't figure out where to go, and there's lots of TMs or other items hidden cleverly on each "level" that rewards serious exploration. The caves are much more tolerable in this game as well; there are fewer of them and they are shorter, meaning less time spent running into Zubats.
  • Decent variety of Pokemon. 6th gen did this absolutely retarded thing where the only Pokemon available to you before getting the National Dex were the Gen 1 'Mons with a selection of the new 'Mons and a handful from the other gens. Alola really steps it up with about 250 different Pokemon you can catch before you hit post-game, including all of the Alola forms.
  • Rebalancing. Dark Void, Gale Wings, and Trickster got nerfed, while a lot of old, forgotten Pokemon received stat buffs, including a big handful of Gen 3 shitmons. (Second year in a row they buffed Ariados but unfortunately he still sucks.) Makes competitive play more interesting and even makes PvE easier by allowing you to feasibly beat the game with "bad" Pokemon without having to overlevel them.
  • Great aesthetic. Alola is a definite contender for my favorite aesthetic. There is an area in the game which is sort of like a post-apocalyptic Pokemon town that you can explore that includes a destroyed Pokemon center. It was really dark and gritty, not something I expected from a Pokemon game.
  • Better difficulty. S/M are some of the more difficult Pokemon games, but for good reasons. FR/LG are notorious for being the most difficult because they ramp up enemy levels faster than you can level up your own team, forcing you to grind. But in S/M, the difficulty comes from an improved AI. While rando trainers still suck, experienced trainers and boss trainers will use more complicated strategies on reminiscent of competitive scene strategies.
  • Very little grind. The party-wide EXP. Share is back, and they ramped up the amount of EXP given for killing any evolved Pokemon. You can easily stay at-level with the content by battling most trainers, and if you go out of your way to find and battle every one you can, you'll find yourself as high as 6-10 levels above current content.
  • Competitive play improvements. Super Training is gone, but EV Training is now faster than ever with S.O.S. battles and stacking EV point multipliers. With a little bit of preparation, you can completely EV train a Pokemon in under 10 minutes. On top of that, you also get a "farm" that you can send Pokemon to in order to EV train them idly. Takes longer but you don't really have to do anything and you still have full control over which EVs are gained. You can also max out your Pokemon's IVs by turning in bottle caps to a merchant in one of the towns if the Pokemon is level 100.
  • No need for HM slaves. There aren't even any HMs in the game. You get an item that allows you to call a wild Pokemon to you which will perform a task that was traditionally serviced by an HM. For example, Rock Smash has been replaced by riding a Tauros that can run at high speeds and break through rocks. (These Ride Pokemon also serve as mounts, with some going Mach Bike speeds, including a fast Surfing Pokemon.)
Cons:
  • Technical grievances. Battle lag is really common under certain conditions. Most of the time, you'll have a stable framerate in a 1v1, but in Double Battles, 1v2's, or 4-man free-for-alls, there can be huge frame drops. (Which sucks, because the 4-man free-for-alls are really fun but lag the worst.)
  • Music is not memorable. Seems like GameFreak will never beat their record of 4th gen's music. The music in this game tends to fall into categories of annoying or bland. There's only one track I've liked so far (Gladion's theme).
  • Sometimes the camera sucks. This was a problem I had with the demo, the camera was retardedly pointed at the ground under me instead of an angled zoom that allowed me to see my surroundings. This has been fixed in almost all areas of the game, with the few remaining offenders in very insignificant areas early in the game.
  • Fishing changes. You can no longer fish wherever you please. Now, you have to find designated fishing spots, which are identified by underwater rock clusters, and there is only one rod. This wouldn't be so bad, except it means that the pool of fishable Pokemon per area is now extremely shallow (pun intended), unless you happen to fish on a "special" spot, which are these infuriating bubbling locations that disappear most of the time you get close to them.
  • S.O.S. battles. These are great for EV training but suck for Pokemon catching. Any time you fight a wild Pokemon, there is a chance that they will call for help and another wild Pokemon will join the fight. The lower their health, the higher the chance is that an ally will show up. The game does not let you throw a Poke Ball if you are facing 2 wild Pokemon, which means that what will happen a lot of times is you will get a Pokemon down low because you want to catch it, it will call for help, you kill its ally again, it calls for help again so you still can't try to catch it... repeat until you get lucky.
  • Battle against the main villain/climax of the story. Starts hype as fuck then quickly becomes really disappointing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
The SOS stuff has been super annoying already. I have been enjoying the increased difficulty, though. I was worried when we got the Exp. Share so early again, thinking that this was going to turn into another easy plow like X/Y. The camera sometimes reminds me of the Lumiose city camera which I fucking hated because I can't see shit. I wish they had added the ability to manually control the camera with the little nub or something.

Overall, though, I'm having a blast and just taking it easy (just started the grass trial). Also been trying to use as many new/unused Pokemon as I can, since I tend to always play with a single set of 6 through the whole game, so I've been rotating stuff out as i catch it pretty regularly.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I was worried when we got the Exp. Share so early again, thinking that this was going to turn into another easy plow like X/Y.

I always hated this criticism of X/Y. Party-wide EXP Share didn't make the game easier, it just reduced the need for grinding. And you always have the option to switch it off.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I always hated this criticism of X/Y. Party-wide EXP Share didn't make the game easier, it just reduced the need for grinding. And you always have the option to switch it off.

Well, easy only in terms of just being insanely over-leveled for everything. Don't get me wrong, I still loved X/Y. And yeah, I could turn it off but I'm bad about self-imposed limits.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I am really wondering how the hell some of this dialogue made it into a kids' game. Shit is hilarious sometimes.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Went with Grass starter because owls are fairly creepy/awesome, and Sun edition.

I like it so far. Not far in due to work/school time requirements, but it is fairly fun at this point. Really digging the Hawaiian motif for the first island (no idea if this changes) and I like the gradual change of the Rival from being kind of a snotty brat in Gen 1 to just someone also being a pokemon dude/dudette. Hau is just a chill Alolan kid.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only part of it I loathed after finishing was team skull, about as retarded as it can get for the evil villains but I haven't played since red/blue so whatever happened after team rocket is an unknown to me.

The call for help did suck, but I had enough multi-hit spells that usually killed both (or one + half the other) so it wasn't very awful. Not sure yet whats in post game but was fun having the mounts.

That said, what the fuck magicarps. I have not fished up a single different pokemon yet, does anything else exist?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Only part of it I loathed after finishing was team skull, about as retarded as it can get for the evil villains but I haven't played since red/blue so whatever happened after team rocket is an unknown to me.

The call for help did suck, but I had enough multi-hit spells that usually killed both (or one + half the other) so it wasn't very awful. Not sure yet whats in post game but was fun having the mounts.

That said, what the fuck magicarps. I have not fished up a single different pokemon yet, does anything else exist?

Look for fishing spots with splashing going on above them, it greatly increases the chance that you will fish up a rare Pokemon.