Political Philosophy Thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Preface
The word "Politics" at least in the modern American usage of the term, is mostly a exercise in covert or overt tribalism, or team sports-cheerleading. Red vs Blue. On some occasions, the word is used to mean the actual finer details of policy making, political bargaining, backroom dealing, compromise, and swaying public opinion.

This thread is not about those things. We have a thread for that already.

The main point of this thread is to examine the question:

What should the qualities and goals of a good government be?(If you dislike the idea of government itself, what are the proper qualities and goals of a civil society?)

Subtopics might include:

What do words/labels such as liberal, conservative, progressive actually mean?

How does a society properly balance individual liberty versus the need to prevent people from harming others?

What role do faith based systems have, if any, in government/society?

What kinds of market systems are most compatible with your ideal view of government?

What are those lizard people up to, anyway?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
As long as jews have control over the media and the government, we shall never see justice.

Jon Stewart should be killed. Terrible piece of shit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Government _SHOULD_ advance the culture and quality of life of the people it represents, simple as that. Unfortunately, the reality is far different.

iannis

Musty Nester
Government _SHOULD_ advance the culture and quality of life of the people it represents, simple as that. Unfortunately, the reality is far different.
Government should engender the social stability which makes those advances of culture and quality of life possible. Government itself is primarily not a productive or creative entity but a regulatory one.

Which sometimes is just a different way to say the same thing and sometimes is not.

I don't want the USDA to own the slaughterhouse and cut the meat -- but I do want them checking to make sure the cows aren't diseased.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
plato's idea was if you where involved with politics you couldn't own property. I think there's a good idea there, especially with the ease at which ceo's and politiians easily move from public to private life and benefit from working both sides, it's a big factor in the corruption of government ,

it would be nice if you are a public servant you live in a communistic fashion and can't own anything for the rest of your life you live on communal publicly provided land. I think that would help remove alot of the public/private moral hazards.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Youre libertarian or youre wrong.

A governments purpose should be to make the society it governs an equal playing field for those it governs, allowing them to either succeed or fail on their own accord.