Politics 101- Your primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I was walking to work today and thought about how I have learned about politics and how that affects my opinions of what I see happening.I was hoping to make a thread to give some important history lessons about politics for people who may just be entering or may have neglected to learn the history. I am not claiming to be even moderately knowledgeable but hopefully as a community we can come up with some core truths.

So to begin with my small contribution:

Neither Republicans or Democrats really care about social issues. They do know that social issues drive the population so they carefully poll and pander to certain groups for votes.

Democrats- Back in the early 60's began enacting policies to improve their voter reliability. In the mid 60's They loosened immigration standards and enforcement in order to swell voter rolls with 3rd world immigrants and minorities. They began pandering to racial social issues because they realized that minorities and immigrants voted as a block more than other groups. So most of the current race narrative is driven by the need to corral minorities and immigrants into majority voting blocks scared of losing their rights/entitlements,

Republicans- Republicans countered by attaching themselves to religious conservatives and driving the narrative of family values. They also realized that religious conservative voted in a large block together.

The rest of us- Don't matter because for the most part we are split between ideological values, so 50/50 races and voters are not worth pandering to because they are not vote reliable.

honestly guys super rich politicians don't give a shit about social issues because money puts them above those trivial concerns. So when a super rich politician claims they give a flying shit about your sad little social campaign write it off to the bullshit it is.

Please add things that happened in the past that drove different sides to their current incarnation so people who may not have done the homework have a strong base to build their politics on. We have the ability to lay a foundation upon which others can build.

iannis

Musty Nester
All politics is money, and all politics are local. Social issues are money. Infrastructure is money. The regulation of commerce is money. Social Stability is money. I honestly wouldn't say that no politicians care about social issues. They do care in a cynical way. The problem with Obama is not that I don't think he meant "Hope and Change" in a heartfelt way. The problem I had with Obama is that I think hedidmean "Hope and Change" in a heartfelt way.

Hope by itself is not enough to govern or effect change. I mean we see how that turned out. He's leaving office broken and his policy is based on "Fear and I sure as shit hope that nothing changes" I'm not a supporter of his by any real stretch of imagination... but I can recognize that he actually was the strongest of his type. And his story is a little bit tragic. But he's the god damn fool that made a pact with the devil, so fuck him.

Caring and being able to legislate morality are not the same thing. That's the mistake that the previous generation of Republicans made nationally, and are still making locally. It's the mistake that the current generation of Democrats think they can avoid making -- but won't. They'll fail even harder than republicans because their base is not indoctrinated to loyalty. Although that, too, is changing -- it's what Lithose is so concerned about when he posts essays about the SJW scourge.

And of course you have opportunists that feed off the disharmony. But that's as old as politics.

I'm to the point where I don't want my politicians to pander about "social issues". Their job is about money.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
All politics is money, and all politics are local. Social issues are money. Infrastructure is money. The regulation of commerce is money. Social Stability is money. I honestly wouldn't say that no politicians care about social issues. They do care in a cynical way. The problem with Obama is not that I don't think he meant "Hope and Change" in a heartfelt way. The problem I had with Obama is that I think hedidmean "Hope and Change" in a heartfelt way.

Hope by itself is not enough to govern or effect change. I mean we see how that turned out. He's leaving office broken and his policy is based on "Fear and I sure as shit hope that nothing changes" I'm not a supporter of his by any real stretch of imagination... but I can recognize that he actually was the strongest of his type. And his story is a little bit tragic. But he's the god damn fool that made a pact with the devil, so fuck him.

Caring and being able to legislate morality are not the same thing. That's the mistake that the previous generation of Republicans made nationally, and are still making locally. It's the mistake that the current generation of Democrats think they can avoid making -- but won't. They'll fail even harder than republicans because their base is not indoctrinated to loyalty. Although that, too, is changing -- it's what Lithose is so concerned about when he posts essays about the SJW scourge.

And of course you have opportunists that feed off the disharmony. But that's as old as politics.

I'm to the point where I don't want my politicians to pander about "social issues". Their job is about money.
To contribute to your point I agree. I really don't want them pandering to bullshit social issues they really don't care about. I would love on politician to say I really don't give a shit because it doesn't affect me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Do we really need another political thread? Can you not find a place for your manifesto in one of the myriad other threads?

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Both sides are bad!

To get a great overview of politics and waste a snotload of time, youtube George Carlin.

You are welcome.
smile.png

iannis

Musty Nester
It's a badge of honor.

/victory lap.

Anyone can be mediocre. To aspire to exceptionalism... and then to attain it. This is good in life.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Good work, Titan. You tried to follow up the success of your equality thread too soon. You need to lay low, take your time and then hit the studio when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.