[Post the Single Best Episode of any TV Show You've Watched]

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
"The Visitor" Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Instead of a series, here is where you post the single best and most memorable episode from TV programming that you've ever watched.

Mine is out of left field, it's called the Visitor from Deep Space 9.

It's the best hour of television that I've ever witnessed. Captain Sisko is lost in a warp incident but his son refuses to believe that his dad is dead and goes through a severe personal crisis. Benjamin, his father, reappears several times to Jake as Jake goes on with his life, which furthers Jakes resolve to rescue his father. His father becoming continually disappointed that Jake's personal life has suffered so much at his own expense, as he just wants his son to move on.

This is a tearjearker beyond all tearjerkers. It's amazingly writtened and executed and is by far the best episode of the franchise. This reviewer sums it up perfectly:

Quite possibly the single greatest episode of television produced. True and Pure magic.

...you will finish this episode in tears, no matter who you are. It will tug at all of your heartstrings and emotions; I just can't describe it. They also have some very well known guest stars such as Tony Todd.

Just go to iTunes, or whatever torrent site, and download this specific episode. Couldn't recommend any episode of television more than this. I cried like a fucking child. (has a 9.1 rating on IMDB).

[You really don't need any background information about Trek to watch this, as it's a great standalone.]

Couldn't agree more. Fabulous episode. Possibly the best episode of DS9?

Of course, that takes nothing away from this stellar episode. The writing, the performances, the directing...all excellent. And seriously, Tony Todd deserved an Emmy nomination for his performance here.

"The Visitor" is full of affecting scenes. One that stands out is where Kira and Jake are having a quiet conversation regarding his future, and the possibility of him leaving the station. I really *felt* this scene and it nearly brought me to tears.

Epic episode. Truly a triumph for television as a medium of human expression. Transcends Trek, all together, and speaks to the human condition. A million and two stars!!

My girlfriend HATES Star Trek. She cried during this episode. 'Nuff said.

"The Visitor" is one of the most moving performances you will ever see on television. You don't have to know anything about Star Trek to be affected by this story.

Watching the first two seasons of DS9, I would have been extremely surprised to see an episode move me as much as "The Inner Light" did.

Very happy to be wrong.

I don't know how many times I've watched this episode. The original airing, countless times on the tape I made from that airing, possibly when they first reran it, and now on DVD, and not once has it failed to bring me to tears. As you say, it could have been maudlin or melodramatic, and most times I go in with the mind set that now that I'm X months/years older and more jaded than the last time, maudlin is exactly how it will seem. And time and again I'm proven wrong. This may not be the best Star Trek episode, but it's probably the best episode of television to come out of the Star Trek franchise.

Outstanding television. Easily the best episode of any show I have ever watched. Unbelievably good acting and a brilliant storyline.

I watched this one a few weeks ago, and was taken aback at how quickly I ended in tears watching it. Probably the only time I've ever cried at TV show. The part where Sisko reappears at the station and is lying on a sickbay bed, the way Jake suddenly breaks down in tears is heartbreaking.

All round simply outstanding. Not just one of Trek's best episodes, but one of the best TV episodes of all time.

Nuh-uh! As a woman, let me assure you that even us girls can recognize a damn good episode when we see one. :)

Let me be honest: I've been in the middle of a DVD marathon recently and everything was smooth sailing until I hit this episode. What an hour of television! It left me emotionally drained; instead of forging ahead on the DVD that day, I had to take time off. I don't know about you guys, but I was left pensive and melancholy long after the credits rolled.

"The Visitor" is probably up there with "The Inner Light" in my books--both pack an emotional wallop and feature wonderful, intimate performances. Like that TNG episode, the human story here just rings so true. This is the kind of Trek episode that can prompt people to step back and take stock of their own lives.

I can't think of a greater compliment that that.

Can't find a single negative comment about it. Tony Todd did deserve an Emmy for this one.

Last edited:

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think best episode of a season....I say as of late GOT

The S6 Finale? It's great but I don't know how much of that is because it's new and the most recent part of the story. Game of Thrones is arguably one of the best books series, and then TV shows, of all time...but I'm talking about particular episodes of older series, maybe? Ones that we've forgotten.