Post Your Pet

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_42448.jpg

Looking more like this little pup will be joining our family soon.

I haven't had a dog in 30 years. Gotta admit that I'm about as excited as my 7yo son.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some people are just fucking idiots about pets - just found out that the anemia that had killed our indoor only Birman mix that's more dear to us than many family members was because our idiot in-laws when taking care of our cats on vacation decided it was perfectly fine to bring their flea-ridden fucking dogs over when they were dealing with the cats which they were expressly asked not to do.

And they've been blaming us because we don't use Frontline or an equivalent on cats that only expressly stay indoors - can't possibly be because their dogs that literally have fleas bad enough that one tears bare spots in it's fur was dragged through our home or anything - been having to disassemble the house to prepare for an extermination as well as $100 in Seresto collars for the remaining cats (they actually killed two - but I have no strong feelings for the other that died)

PS - As a sidenote if anyone knows any Birman breeders in the Mid-Atlantic area please let me know, seems only one from what I can tell of web searches is active - and they don't get lilac points which is what we'll need to try to make another Miley. [wasn't our choice in names, we use Zodiac based names - but old name just fit her uniqueness - her personality really made her seem human, and I'd never rename a human either]

Archangel_sl

shitlord
Some people are just fucking idiots about pets - just found out that the anemia that had killed our indoor only Birman mix that's more dear to us than many family members was because our idiot in-laws when taking care of our cats on vacation decided it was perfectly fine to bring their flea-ridden fucking dogs over when they were dealing with the cats which they were expressly asked not to do.

And they've been blaming us because we don't use Frontline or an equivalent on cats that only expressly stay indoors - can't possibly be because their dogs that literally have fleas bad enough that one tears bare spots in it's fur was dragged through our home or anything - been having to disassemble the house to prepare for an extermination as well as $100 in Seresto collars for the remaining cats (they actually killed two - but I have no strong feelings for the other that died)

PS - As a sidenote if anyone knows any Birman breeders in the Mid-Atlantic area please let me know, seems only one from what I can tell of web searches is active - and they don't get lilac points which is what we'll need to try to make another Miley. [wasn't our choice in names, we use Zodiac based names - but old name just fit her uniqueness - her personality really made her seem human, and I'd never rename a human either]
I am so sorry for your loss--I HATE hearing of pet loss, especially through the stupidity and fucking ignorance of others. I wish you the best of luck finding another Birman; they are really awesome breeds.

ECHUTA-- I'm not a supper big dog person, but OMG, that picture made me squee so badly!! Those tiny little paws and ears!! Soooo cute!!

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I just rescued a kitten from the streets. I'm no expert but it can't have more 3-4 weeks or something like that. Can barely walk but eats like a fucking vacuum cleaner (very glad it can eat on it's on and I don't have to feed him). Tried showing him/her (haven't checked yet) to my old cat (8 years old) and I got a lot of hissing and hiding under the bed.

Anyone has any experience in getting your older cat get along with the new one ? I'm not showing you a pic yet because it will break your heart to see the condition he was in.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
step 1) let them smell each other without contact. stay at this step till older cat is indifferent.
step 2) show each other through a barrier. child gate, crate, w/e. Repeat till indifference.
step 3) supervised play
step 4) profit.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Really sorry to hear about people losing their pets. What a kick in the gut, been through a couple times and it never gets any easier.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Ok, after 2 baths and 5 times his body weight in food over 3 days, here are some crappy pics and a youtube video :

That's food on his nose in the last 2 pics, it got cleaned up right after. He hasn't figured out yet that the food isn't gonna run out anymore.

www.youtube.com/embed/QoF8HYQNh

Archangel_sl

shitlord
step 1) let them smell each other without contact. stay at this step till older cat is indifferent.
step 2) show each other through a barrier. child gate, crate, w/e. Repeat till indifference.
step 3) supervised play
step 4) profit.
I could go into a whole lot of detail, bt essentially (since each animal is different) this is the way to go. If your older cat has a blanket to spare that has his/her scent on it, give it to the kitten so that it starts to smell familiar. Don't worry about the nose-food thing; it's pretty normal at that age even for kittens that haven't been cast out. I'd guess him to be about 5 weeks old, but without seeing his teeth or paws, it's hard to say. His eyes have started to lighten, though, and the dark blue of "kitten-eyes" generally starts the change to its real colours at the 3-5 week mark and can continue to change up to 12 weeks.

All that matters is you give that ADORABLE fluffball lots of love! Thank you for saving him!

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fun at the pool. Shiva is the black and white one.
rrr_img_43442.jpg

rrr_img_43443.jpg

New puppy (Ember)at 6 weeks.
rrr_img_43444.jpg

Ember at 20 weeks (Last weekend) She's going to be a big girl.
rrr_img_43445.jpg

I mentioned in another thread that my wife made them facebook pages...Shiva the husky and Ember the husky.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
My Dad had a b&w Husky when I was in high school and uni, and she was the most silly animal I have ever known! The way huskies bounce and prance an howl/talk is absolutely hysterical. I could never decide if Bandit was dumb as a box of wet rocks, or just cunning and taunting us.

Weirdly, she was so placid and friendly with everyone....except black people. When she was out for her walks, and saw a black person, even if it was just the local kids playing, boy oh boy did she turn into a completely different dog. We never could figure out why.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Got a new 50mm prime for my Canon on the weekend so just gave it a run now. This is resized down, taken in low-light, full manual camera and lens (the non-usm lens is just so fucking noisy)

rrr_img_43590.jpg

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
My Dad had a b&w Husky when I was in high school and uni, and she was the most silly animal I have ever known! The way huskies bounce and prance an howl/talk is absolutely hysterical. I could never decide if Bandit was dumb as a box of wet rocks, or just cunning and taunting us.

Weirdly, she was so placid and friendly with everyone....except black people. When she was out for her walks, and saw a black person, even if it was just the local kids playing, boy oh boy did she turn into a completely different dog. We never could figure out why.
Huskies have a lot of personality degrees, but their one thing in common is they love to play,play and play. The biggest complaint I usually hear is about how destructive they can be, but that's just because they are bored. We do urban mushing or a 4 hour stint in a football field sized park if we can't take them swimming, otherwise she'll be a diva by Wednesday. I grew up with boxers, the cliche blind loyal dog, so getting huskies and knowing they only do something because they want to took years to adjust to. We might eventually branch into Malamutes, but I'm definitely hooked to this breed now.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The huskies look pretty awesome.

Not a great pic, but this is my 3 year old GSD/Bouvier, Jake.
rrr_img_43632.jpg

Juvarisx

Florida

Huskies are incredibly smart, I would defiantly go with the cunning end of that argument. This is mine, a 2 year old Siberian named Nika

rrr_img_43634.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I hate family members too. This story isn't quite as enraging, but on a personal level it still makes me upset. We live in an apartment complex that allows all pets, dogs/cats/etc. With that, the flea population can be pretty horrid. You're basically relying on everyone else to do their jobs so that your pet doesn't get fleas. ONce in awhile we find a few, but they always die off and aren't a problem, we keep up with he Frontline every month on the dot though so that helps. I also treat our carpets once in awhile with Borax and other stuff just in case.

When we got married we went on a 2-week honeymoon, so my wife's younger (19) brother was going to apartment and dog-sit. The flea application would occur halfway through our honeymoon. Showed him where everything was, told him what day to do it, and his father even agreed to put it on if he reminded him. Got home and asked about the flea medication since we didn't notice the grease spot on her back and he said "oh, couldn't find it so didn't put it on". Really that translates to "I'm a 19 year old shit head who couldn't be pulled away from video games for 3 seconds to remember anything that didn't have to do with me." Of course she had some fleas on her at that point and I noticed some in our apartment. Luckily I was pretty on top of it and we haven't seen anymore outbreaks, but I've dealt with flea outbreaks before and I know that every several weeks you'll see them hatch and be fucked again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Also when I was a kid there was something that happened to my neighbor that stuck with me my entire life. Stop reading if doggy deaths make you sad. He was going away for a few weeks on honeymoon as well and had his best friend come house and dog-sit. His friend also had a dog, so he brought it over. He setup an additional chain near my neighbor's dog so they could play together. On one day, the dogs got tangled up and the friend's dog ran some circles around my neighbor's dog and ended up choking it to death with its chain. Friend had to come home from a honeymoon to that. I could never imagine what I would do.. that story always makes me wary of having someone watch my dog.

Here's Nymeria at 10 weeks and then current:

rrr_img_43641.jpg

rrr_img_43642.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
More Cats (but without gruesome stories)!
rrr_img_43592.jpg
Dammit bytes - gonna have to stalk you and steal your cat or maybe both - lower one looks near identical to my one I just vented about losing - make her a polydactyl and add a blaze of white to the nose and the appearance would be near spot on. Top one is gorgeous too though.

Gotta ask, they Birman or something close? Top looks to be either Rag or Birman as well - but I'd lean Rag since Seal point is so typical for them.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Gotta ask, they Birman or something close? Top looks to be either Rag or Birman as well - but I'd lean Rag since Seal point is so typical for them.
They're both Birman. Actually they're father (bottom in the first picture I posted) and daughter (top). The perspective in this photo is a bit messed up, she's almost the same height as her father, although he's ways heavier/bulkier. I was pretty lucky to get him, a local breeder was scaling down a bit, because she herself was having a baby.
And Xandro (the male cat obviously) turned into an absolute asshole after he was fooling around with the ladies, didn't get along with the other (older) male AT ALL after that. Neutering didn't help, Xandro was hell-bent on removing the competition (things got bloody apparently), so it was clear he had to go.

When I got there to take a look at him, the breeder had 4 kittens. One of them was Fusel and it was impossible to not take her, so I ended up with two.

These are pictures from the summer, their fur doesn't look as good as it does now I have to say. They always shed a lot of hair and it looks a bit messed up from about May to September.
rrr_img_43653.jpg
rrr_img_43654.jpg