Post Your Pet

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
IMG_7090.jpeg
Resized_20231011_152323.jpeg
IMG_7079.jpeg
Kitty update!

Vet was able to get him in today, so we got him his starter vaccines and tested for FIV. He’s negative! So looks like we’re on track to keep him! Vet does say to keep him separate until he’s done all his vaccines, so looks like another 6 weeks or so. Was hoping we could work on introductions sooner, but it is what it is. Just hope it doesn’t negatively affect his socialization. We don’t have to be as hardcore on the hazmat process we’ve been doing going downstairs, though, lol. Just need to wash hands vs the gloves, different clothes, etc we’ve been doing. Says he’s a healthy boy so far!

• 16Like
Reactions: 15 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
yep sure looks like he's taken you on as staff.....

glad to hear he got the all clear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
This boy is an absolute insane boy when it comes to food. Not sure if it’s because he’s legitimately still hungry after what we’re feeding him or if it’s due to his situation; maybe not being properly weaned, competition for food before he was separated from the rest of his family, etc. But he goes absolutely apeshit when I bring the food bowl. Last night as I brought it down and opened the crate, he dashed out, tree-climbed up the side of the crate and did a flying leap at me to hang off the bowl, of course flinging all the food in the process and me getting torn up a bit trying to catch the little idiot.
He is still cute, though. We did also decide on a name change now that we’ve been with him some more and are committed to keeping him. He’s little Bruce now. Handsome boy, got big ol’ bat ears and he likes to fly apparently, per last night. Think it fits him a little better.

IMG_7142.jpeg
IMG_7143.jpeg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
This boy is an absolute insane boy when it comes to food. Not sure if it’s because he’s legitimately still hungry after what we’re feeding him or if it’s due to his situation; maybe not being properly weaned, competition for food before he was separated from the rest of his family, etc. But he goes absolutely apeshit when I bring the food bowl. Last night as I brought it down and opened the crate, he dashed out, tree-climbed up the side of the crate and did a flying leap at me to hang off the bowl, of course flinging all the food in the process and me getting torn up a bit trying to catch the little idiot.

Mom's third cat as well as my sister's were both strays that "chose" them and followed them back home. They are both insane foodies, so yeah, I think that's pretty much intrinsic to any cat that's lived on the streets for any significant period of time. Be really careful once he starts getting kitchen privileges; my sister's will try fishing for spaghetti out of a pot of boiling water while the stove is on.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mom's third cat as well as my sister's were both strays that "chose" them and followed them back home. They are both insane foodies, so yeah, I think that's pretty much intrinsic to any cat that's lived on the streets for any significant period of time. Be really careful once he starts getting kitchen privileges; my sister's will try fishing for spaghetti out of a pot of boiling water while the stove is on.
The wife rescued an orange tabby that showed up hiding under something leaning against the shed. She brought it food and water, and it basically didn't move for a couple of days, looked pretty starving and in rough shape. She got it into a trap, although even then it seemed really happy to get pets and be handled, and took it to the vet. It has a skin condition that was fucking it's paws up, so I guess it got bad enough that he couldn't hunt anymore, and if anyone had been feeding it, they had long since stopped. He may have been someone's outside cat, but not fixed, no chip, and no local missing cat reports. Vet says he's 4ish years old and clean bill of health other than the paws and the starving.

He's finally getting some exploring privilidges after being quarantined for a while, and he's basically the most cuddly, chill cat ever. He even mostly puts up with the dogs trying to chew on him. It's hard to imagine that he didn't have humans, but he doesn't know things other cats do like how not to get stepped on/kicked by the walking humans, etc. (I mean, the other cats get under your feet sometimes, but this one takes it to an entirely different level.) He's very oddly politely assertive though. He's like "I'm gonna do this thing. No? ok. I'm gonna do this thing though" but in the most polite way possible. He's a little too interested in going back outside, but other than that, he seems to really appreciate getting pets and not having to hunt for food, which is a nice change from the other entitled mongrels that we have around.

Also, the dog, every fucking morning, /sigh:

1697817697556.jpeg

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Been working on trying to introduce/integrate the cats together. Been doing dinners together with the basement door between them. Sansa and Arya will stay for a little to eat and then leave. Other times we’ve been leaving the basement door open while we go down to hang out and play with Bruce. Arya will usually come down and try and investigate around the basement. Despite being a 15lb chonker, Bruce will do the creepy side step at her and power stance at her. She’ll hiss but will eventually back away. Not really a fan of that, and he could probably use just a small bonk to put him under her in hierarchy. Not sure if getting him fixed will also change the dynamic there once we can get him scheduled.

For now, just been trying lots of treats, opportunities to sniff and I bought a playpen to put Bruce in so we can all hang out together upstairs without as much worry and they can have safe interactions. He’s got his box and bed and some toys to keep him occupied and we’re just going to act like business as usual so Sansa and Arya can just get used to his presence. Also gave me a good opportunity to get his crate and carrier and bedding cleaned and freshened up.

Seems like given Sansa and Arya are 7 and 6 respectively, it’s probably going to take awhile for them to accept him, if they ever do. Going to try our best, though. Hopefully it’ll work out positively.

IMG_7176.jpeg
IMG_7201.jpeg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I’m fairly tall so my dog always looks smaller to me than he is.

Here he is waiting to get food from my grandma, he’s an 80 pound monster

IMG_7970.jpeg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Them ears, though! I don’t think I could do hairless cats, though. They’re just too weird looking.

Once you go nude you never go back. These guys behave more like small dogs than cats and are generally a lot less aloof than your typical cat. They also have a body temp of 104f which makes them great winter foot/hand warmers.
Never even planned on owning a cat— got the grey one as a bday gift (she asked for one) for an ex-gf, and when we broke up a few months later she didn’t want him cause she wasn’t home enough. He turned out to be so cool I got him a buddy.
And while you don’t need to deal with cat hair anywhere, you do need to wetnap them once a week cause their body oil gathers up dust from around the house.
IMG_6972.jpeg

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
We had a mouse infestation 3 years ago and I ordered some poison from Amazon. Lost track of the package and it must have gotten lost in a closet somewhere. Today my corgi beagle mix found them and ate all fucking 20 of them. Luckily we found her within within 2-3 hours and got her to an emergency vet asap but fuck man it still up in the air. I’m devastated, I’m so careful about shit like that. We still haven’t figured out how she got them

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm at the end of the road here. Last Sunday I cleaned up a lake of puke, Friday a lake of shit, and today a lake of piss. That's about the trifecta.

Turns out MN has a vet who will come to your place and do it and haul the body away. Seems way better than one last stressful ride for the dog.

Man, fuck this year. Best friend died in his sleep, buddy offed himself in a state park, and now the dog. 2023 blows ass.

• 6Thoughts & Prayers
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Sorry to hear about your doggo, and your year, Cutlery. We put down our lab a couple years ago, one of the toughest things I’ve ever done. I don’t know about your boy/girl, but Joker loved car rides, and even wagged his tail a bit as we got in the car for his last car ride. It broke my heart to see that bit of excitement and energy in him when he knew we were going somewhere, knowing where we were taking him. But, I just thought I’d mention it since maybe your doggo might like to stick their head out the window one last time.

It’s tough dude, stay strong.

Here’s a picture of Joker, only one I’ve got on this phone. He could be patient with his treats.
image000000.jpeg

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Sorry to hear about your doggo, and your year, Cutlery. We put down our lab a couple years ago, one of the toughest things I’ve ever done. I don’t know about your boy/girl, but Joker loved car rides, and even wagged his tail a bit as we got in the car for his last car ride. It broke my heart to see that bit of excitement and energy in him when he knew we were going for a car ride, knowing where we were taking him. But, I just thought I’d mention it since maybe your doggo might like to stick their head out the window one last time.

It’s tough dude, stay strong.

Here’s a picture of Joker, only one I’ve got on this phone. He could be patient with his treats.View attachment 498953

nah, she gets super carsick. She fucking hates being in the car. I mean, she gets excited to, and then we start moving, and it's about the most stressful thing possible for her. Car is literally covered in fur when we get back from the vet. This way, we'll get to be here, where she's comfortable, and she'll never have to stress about anything.

It's still fucking awful.

• 7Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users