Power adapter question

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
Hello

I wonder if adapter for 240v AC to 19.5v DC for laptop can be used for 20v DC to 19.5v DC?

It for campervan, I need to set up battery system that gets elecricity from alternator and solar panels and then use that to be fed into lights and laptop. Current system only have usb a and cigerette lighter port whilst the adapter has powerpoint plug....

I kinda feel i cannot just plug that into battery system and call it a day?

Max output for DC is 19.5 and 180w, battery is 20v and 80A which works out around 960w, so if i get another one, it should deliver around 8ish hours of laptop time at max load.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have you tried

sY7z6bHd_rQVGbF9rzvKMez8T_nNbJo1KROGSAhPAK4.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I had a recent power thing where I think the old one was 4.2 and the new one was 5 amp, or maybe it was the other way around.

Anyway, for me it was a set of creative 5.1 speakers from the dawn of time, so I wasn't going to be too upset if they exploded. Working fine though!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hello

I wonder if adapter for 240v AC to 19.5v DC for laptop can be used for 20v DC to 19.5v DC?

It for campervan, I need to set up battery system that gets elecricity from alternator and solar panels and then use that to be fed into lights and laptop. Current system only have usb a and cigerette lighter port whilst the adapter has powerpoint plug....

I kinda feel i cannot just plug that into battery system and call it a day?

Max output for DC is 19.5 and 180w, battery is 20v and 80A which works out around 960w, so if i get another one, it should deliver around 8ish hours of laptop time at max load.
So DC is a lot simpler than AC, however you really need to understand the power supply inputs expected on your laptop. The voltage and amperage from a belt driven alternator is not constant. Usually those transformer bricks act as filters for AC input and regulators for DC output. If you are feeding the laptop from the batteries with a well designed circuit that includes a smart charging unit that isolates the output from the alternator and 20v is within specs and the laptop power in has a regulator then you should probably be fine, but that may not be the case.

TL;DR, it's certainly possible but would probably be cheaper to get an AC inverter made for campers or trucks and just plug the laptop in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
I have decided not to jerry rig a hack homemade power supply.

Will just cough up the dough for a Bluetti AC200 Max and buy a couple of rigid solar panels to attach on top of my rooftop tent and get an auto electrician to connect everything up!

Already have inverter from alternator which i will have connected also with solar so both power can be fed via one single plug.

That 180w 19.5v was labeled on output from the brick that came with the lap top so that is what i worked off of. Max should be able to provide about 8 hours at laptop max load. I think two solars will be around 350 watts ( yes i know only at optimal, but still ). Even a bit below that, it should be able to fully charge up the batteries in around 8 to 9 hours.