Prepaid data plans in Canada?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I'm going to be in Toronto for a few days in November. My T-Mobile prepaid plan doesn't come with any international data add-on (no matter how overpriced), and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a prepaid data plan in Canada. I'm there for 4 days and would really just need data. I could probably get away with 100MB if needed (should have wifi for much of the day), but a little more wouldn't be bad.

It seems that, on top of any prepaid plan I could find, I'd also have to pay $20 or so for a SIM card. That brings the most competitive offer I could find to $45 for 100MB. But they still don't ship the SIM card to the US, so I'd need to have it delivered to the hotel. Not a fortune, but still a little pricey for what is essentially no data.

Surprisingly, it's much easier to find offers for Canadians coming to the US with my search queries. They can buy a few hundred MB of data for 3-4 days for $10 and have the SIM card delivered to Canada. Isn't anyone travelling up north or am I just unable to find the right offers?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure about Canada in particular but everywhere I have traveled outside of the States have sim cards available for purchase right at the airport or probable near wherever you are staying. MIght just be something you need to do in person rather than order ahead of time.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you're looking for something affordable, give up now. There isn't anything. We are allergic to affordable cellular up here.

That being said, you will most likely find kiosks at the airport, yes. I haven't been to Pearson in a while so can't remember clearly, but I'm pretty sure there were Rogers/Fido, Bell, Telus/Koodo kiosks there last time I ran through. $45 for 100MB is pretty much what I would expect you to be paying with any of the major carriers here.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I was up there for a month and found the cell prices to be ridiculous. They wanted $67 + tax + $35 activation fee for 1gb of data. I ended up just calling AT&T and getting the 800mb for $120 which was an equal finger in the ass but I'd rather give them the money.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, wireless data is fucking outrageous here. No idea on pre-paid availability.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What made you think the friendly bit a little backward neighbours would have affordable cell rates or even internet, at all.
Also make sure when we talk about dollars to use real dollars and not the northern version with a picture of Elton John on it.
tongue.png

Soriak_sl

shitlord
That's a shame... thanks, everyone.
frown.png
For some reason, I figured cell phone plans in the US were more expensive than elsewhere. The lack of useful data plans in Canada is really surprising to me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Canada has some of the most expensive data and voice plans in the developed world. I think it's a close race with the US though.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't argue that! The good news is that things seem to have improved pretty significantly in the last year or two. The mention of Verizon moving in scared the living shit out of Telus, Rogers and Bell.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I ended up going with Similicious.com. They ship a SIM card to the US with 500MB of data for $53 ($47 before tax). Given the cost of a SIM card and a data plan, this seems cheaper than the plans I could find on my own. Usually, those travel SIMs are rip offs, so this rate is pretty surprising. We'll see how it goes.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wouldn't argue that! The good news is that things seem to have improved pretty significantly in the last year or two. The mention of Verizon moving in scared the living shit out of Telus, Rogers and Bell.
Actually prices have gotten worse over the years because Robelus can get away with it. My plan is $45 + tax and includes 6GB of data, 200 day time minutes (by the second), unlimited evenings (5pm)/weekends, text message, call display and voice mail. This is with Fido.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Went with WIND a little while ago and will never go back to Robelus. Sure, my coverage isn't as great as I'd like it to be, but it's tough to beat $30/month for unlimited everything in this country.