Price Increases and Psychology of Numbers

koljec_sl

shitlord
Overhead has gone up, and my SAT tutoring company needs to increase its prices. Our service isn't a niche offering, but we have an excellent reputation in one of the most affluent communities in the Northeastern US. Our competition is generally more expensive.

Currently, our "Full Course" is $995. A 10% price increase puts us at $1,095, and a 20% increase puts the price at $1,195.

In either case, we have to push beyond the $1,000 mark, and that's a bit scary. Strangely, or maybe not, I think the $1,095 price "looks" worse and is harder to sell than the $1,195 price. Alternatively, I think there's the chance that customers might not perceive a difference between $1,095 and $1,195; instead, they will simply notice that the number looks higher. In this case, why not go for the higher number?

Anyone have any thoughts or information on how to handle price increases or the psychology of numbers?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You already broke rule #1 by not having the prices end in 9. Goggle that shit for interesting reading. And for an answer to your question.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Why 95 instead of 99?
I did not set the original price, but I suspect 995 instead of 999 had something to with too many nines diminishing number line effect.

OneofOne_sl said:
You already broke rule #1 by not having the prices end in 9. Goggle that shit for interesting reading. And for an answer to your question.
That's not rule #1. I've already read about the topic, thanks. I'm looking for personal anecdotal experience.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
1095 and 1195 feel the same to me, and 1195 feels a bit "rounder" and less jarring than 1095. Jumping right to 1195 seems reasonable.

Note: I have no facts or expertise justifying my opinion.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
What about Two payments of $585? or 1187.43 tax included. I'm always worried when things end too even my customers are thinking I just came up with that number. I'd much rather have a number be $103.59 Than $100. Round numbers without .99 signify brand superiority. High end women's purses are $750, $725 etc. Never $724.99. Because that purchase is to be a big purchase and add more prestige to it.

That being said, lets say you're playing up to a highly competitive group of parents. Simply saying Sally goes to a 2k a quarter tutor vs $1200 a quarter tutor doesn't sound as good. People might round that to 1k. I think you have to know your target market to choose the right numbering scheme. Ending in 6 through 8 can tell people it's the absolute lowest price. However lowest price may not be what you want to market. Being HIGHER priced that your competitors, makes them want to know why you're so expensive? Then you just have to give them a solid reason why you are.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I like $1195 much better than $1095. It feels less made up.

I like $1187.43 even more than $1195, it feels like things were line entered and on an actual invoice, compared to $1195 seems more "made up" when stacked against it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Amazing the hoops one must jump through to sell their product due to the stupidity of the average person.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I'm surprised Numbers has not posted in this thread. Oh, he's RRP'ed, right.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I just went to whole number pricing at my restaurants and I know my crew and customers appreciate it for the simplicity. If there has been an impact on sales because of I'm not trying to "trick" my customers with .99 pricing, it hasn't shown up in the sales. Only difficult part is when I do need to adjust pricing it takes a large price hike (percentage-wise) to keep the whole number pricing. For example, to raise the price of a $2 soda I could go to $2.09 or $2.19 to incrementally raise the price. Now I can either do $2 or jump to $3 which would be way too expensive for a soda, so I'm either locked into $2 or perhaps $2.25.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I found in my business. When my price needs to go up. If I was at a whole dollar say $2 for a fish. Any price besides that means the price went up. I literally started my business with only whole numbers. But now I do .99 because people are dumb. All day long a fish that is $9.99 is $9 not $10. I literally hear them say, oh $9 thats not too bad.

Also I had some prices change on me since the price of a live fish can change week to week. If a fish was $2, then went to $2.19. Every single customer noticed the price went up. Now that I use $2.29, $2.59 etc. The never notice if the price goes up or down. It comes down to, "I think I paid 2 something last time".

I've also noticed that percentage off on something is useless because people can't math. If I give you the choice of 20% off or buy 5 get 1 free. People will choose the getting 1 free every time. Even though they're same price per fish. They will choose to buy an extra and get 1 free, than just buy say 4 and save the 20%.

I too thought, I'm just gonna take the bullshit out of pricing for my customer. All I found out after about 6 months of doing it was that customers remembered my competitors price being a dollar cheaper than mine, even though I price shop them and know they are 1 penny cheaper than me.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
I'd just change my price yearly with CPI and differentiate my products a different way than price. Competing on price is too hard.