Prioritizing Workflow on the Job?

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I work in the finance department of a medium sized company. Often, the CFO, my director, and my manager all have different projects that they individually want me to focus on.

In each of their minds their own projects should be item #1 on my things to do list. I have direct interaction with all of them daily, and my skill-set is unique for the department so nobody else could do the work. Each project would take at least a few days of free time to complete, but my day-to day workload is such that I only have about 2 days of free time per week to work on misc projects. Assume that once I finish one project for any of the parties, that they will have another project ready which is of the same importance level as the last.

Do you choose to do the CFO's work, the Directors, or the Managers? Why?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I work in the finance department of a medium sized company. Often, the CFO, my director, and my manager all have different projects that they individually want me to focus on.

In each of their minds their own projects should be item #1 on my things to do list. I have direct interaction with all of them daily, and my skill-set is unique for the department so nobody else could do the work. Each project would take at least a few days of free time to complete, but my day-to day workload is such that I only have about 2 days of free time per week to work on misc projects. Assume that once I finish one project for any of the parties, that they will have another project ready which is of the same importance level as the last.

Do you choose to do the CFO's work, the Directors, or the Managers? Why?
I've been there. I worked for a company where I had to prioritize between the VP, CFO and occasionally CEO's projects. Since my direct report was for the VP, I let her know when I was assigned things by the CFO or CEO, and she'd cut me some slack. I didn't like that job too much, they had me working seven days a week, day and night. You couldn't push back all of the projects, just some of them.

It's pretty easy to get burnt out in a situation like this, as you can get in hot water with one of them for doing another's project first. So you try to make everyone happy by doing all of their projects, which means longer hours and more days.