Problem with every mmorpg

ili_sl

shitlord
too controlled nowadays
This is why I don't play mmorpgs anymore, too. I feel like they want to overly control everything. I am not sure why this is but, my guess is that it has to do with investors and money. If they know it will take you A to do B then they will make C amount of money.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure this can be solved. MMOs have always been, beyond the basic level of playing skill, a time > * type of game. I don't see this changing because if you make the game NOT require time, but rather some type of playing skill, the top people max out too quick and leave.
It's not really an MMO, but I had a lot of fun with Esim. Not because it was a good game (it wasn't), but because we had a solid group of people who liked to troll the fuck out of the kids and flip battles with 15 seconds remaining (their version of KSing, I guess). It wasn't a time > * game, you just learned the basics, checked into IRC to see what was current and if you could only be on for an hour, then so be it. Hang out in IRC, write in-game articles to troll people, taunt your enemies relentlessly and do more with ~50 active players than most other nations could do with hundreds and hundreds of spam accounts.

That was actually more fun than most MMOs I've played, it's just sad that the Devs are fucking retarded and allow VPNs/Proxies, multiple spam accounts run rampant and a whole slew of other decisions that make you wonder WTF they were thinking. But the roleplaying and meta-trolling was fucking Top Kek. It's hilarious how often we just broke people.

rrr_img_135679.jpg

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
A thread resurrection?

My problem with MMOs is entirely on my end. For some reason, I'm just way too lazy to work on putting a group together, so I solo or two box some MMOs. Then get bored. I'm aware this is 100% my fault :p

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A thread resurrection?

My problem with MMOs is entirely on my end. For some reason, I'm just way too lazy to work on putting a group together, so I solo or two box some MMOs. Then get bored. I'm aware this is 100% my fault :p

Casual guilds are usually there to solve precisely this problem.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Casual guilds are usually there to solve precisely this problem.

<Every Casual Guild> chat:

dude1: any groups?
...10 mins later...
dude1: LFG really really need exps
repeat x10
...1 hour later...
dude2: Awesome group has spot if you still LFG
...10 mins later...
dude1: Fuck I was taking a dump, still room?
dude2: sorry filled.

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
the key is to start doing something on your own and then invite others to join.

once upon a time i learned to solo on an EQ paladin just so i could build groups around myself. root jousting paladin is OP. i even borrowed from shamans and sat for meditate ticks in between melee swings.

where there's a will, there's a way.

• 1Picard

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Main problem with MMOs is that I don't have enough time to really get in to them. I love to raid, but with school + wife, there is no way I could do that.

I still pick up expansions, but play them as a quasi-single player game. I enjoy what I play, but I go in knowing I'll never experience the end game. On the other hand, I don't really enjoy what they've become. WoWs RNG-fest at the beginning of Legion pissed me off and I never liked their Warforged/Titanforged/Whatever system they've thrown in. Perhaps it's rose-colored glasses because I look back on my EQ days so fondly. While I really miss the forced social aspects of EQ and how long it took to really do anything, if an MMO came out today that echoed that, I wouldn't actually be able to play it due to a lack of time.

So, I sort of enjoy what is out in a sort of Summer blockbuster way - fun while it lasts, but not very deep or satisfying.

Another problem I have is that I will always compare what I'm playing to EQ. Nothing will ever recapture that feeling of wonder and mystery, but regardless, I'll still compare them.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

once upon a time i learned to solo on an EQ paladin just so i could build groups around myself. root jousting paladin is OP. i even borrowed from shamans and sat for meditate ticks in between melee swings.

So, you're a masochist?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

That sounds fucking miserable which isn't a great trait in a game

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
overcoming adversity is pretty enjoyable for me, even if its self-imposed.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Commenting after only first page.

You should have one main damage spell where you deal with aggro as the "mechanic" to it then lots of spells that make u OP in certain zones/conditions.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Commenting after only first page.

You should have one main damage spell where you deal with aggro as the "mechanic" to it then lots of spells that make u OP in certain zones/conditions.

League of Legends style combat system + Open World + Massively Multiplayer.

• 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Problem with MMOs today is not enough 100 man zerg raids.

Seriously though, it's having everything scripted, and being forced to follow "the path", that just takes the joy out of playing for me. Locked raid size, quest chains/hubs, gear sets, level locked mobs...yeah so much adventure there.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
League of Legends style combat system + Open World + Massively Multiplayer.

People thought Albion was it for some reason.

It ended up being very far from a complete Leagues experience. For many reasons.

Even Blizzards attempt within the same genre in HoTS at copying the Leagues system and trying to improve on it failed. There are just some nuances you can't get. It just simply isn't as easy as copying a LoL combat system. The development is inadequate and uninspired.

EQNext was taking a shot at it but we never got to see a product.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh look a bunch of EQ dads trying to tell us what we want in the next MMO. This has never gone bad before.

• 3Worf
  • 2Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I honestly have nothing against mobs taking a while to kill. I just don't like the fact that your experience bar moves less per kill each time you level.

For me, half the fun in an mmo IS making the experience bar move. Don't punish me for leveling by taking away the thing that I enjoy the most.
I have an idea: make the exp bar bigger every time you level, so it fills at the same pace.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I got into Rust pretty hard with @Rockstar and, quite honestly, if they'd create some persistence with hosted servers, they'd have a great foundation for an MMO. The core is there.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Ya here’s to shorter leveling curves. Rofl.

Maybe, just maybe shit comes to easy and doesn’t have any meaning so you get bored.