Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Starting today and then evaluated when Velious is released the CSR staff will be keeping track of how the raid guilds are treating eachother. If we do not see asignificantimprovement in the behavior of the raiding guilds and how they treat eachother,Velious will be released without raid content.
hahahahaha holy shit

wow i might start playing P99 again

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have they ever discussed opening a new pve server? I recently started again after having quit way back when the server first opened and man it is crowded. Not just named spawns, but lots of good exp spots too.

When they open Velious I'm sure it will instantly become even more crowded. It might be wise to open a new server to mitigate some of the overcrowding and give newer players a chance to start fresh. Put in a caveat saying that if the two servers can't maintain a high enough population to warrant having both up after a certain time, they can be merged. Seems win/win.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I don't think they have, no. However, once Velious content is out, tested, "balanced", and their "to-do" list is all cleaned up, I could see them starting a new "classic-like" server. The mechanics and behavior and systems would all be Velious-era, but restrict the content according to the classic timeline. It'd have some oddities such as epics being partially completable and what-not, but it'd still be a lot better of an experience than P99's original bugginess, the staleness of Kunark for years, and whatever fun Velious will bring. And infinitely more accurate than's SOE's "progression" servers.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
rrr_img_53862.jpg

lol...Shadows of Furor.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think they have, no. However, once Velious content is out, tested, "balanced", and their "to-do" list is all cleaned up, I could see them starting a new "classic-like" server. The mechanics and behavior and systems would all be Velious-era, but restrict the content according to the classic timeline. It'd have some oddities such as epics being partially completable and what-not, but it'd still be a lot better of an experience than P99's original bugginess, the staleness of Kunark for years, and whatever fun Velious will bring. And infinitely more accurate than's SOE's "progression" servers.
they have set up the framework to start up a new server with a strict timeline. everything in the timeline has a switch on it that can be turned on and off at will -- there will be no partial epic quests or etc on the server like you described.

they're just not sure whether or not they'll actually do it.... they have set themselves up to do it if they so choose, though.

Bruman

Golden Squire
they have set up the framework to start up a new server with a strict timeline. everything in the timeline has a switch on it that can be turned on and off at will -- there will be no partial epic quests or etc on the server like you described.

they're just not sure whether or not they'll actually do it.... they have set themselves up to do it if they so choose, though.
I hadn't heard that, that's pretty awesome.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Retards thinking that the server will be affected by their absence is mind boggling... You're not Furor and this isn't Live, bros.

It really is an insult to the whole scene that this monopoly has been going on for as long as it has. And then to think that you have particular idiots being arrogant about their farming of 14 year old elf pixels on a server that saw barely any competition for over 2 years. Honestly...

Karma is awesome though. A few hours before all of this announced, Eccezan was hanging out in Hate with us:

[Thu Dec 19 21:22:56 2013] Eccezan shouts, 'Hey flunkies, how many IB/FE does it take to wipe to Maestro?'
[Thu Dec 19 21:23:00 2013] Eccezan shouts, 'approximately 40.'
[Thu Dec 19 21:24:26 2013] Eccezan shouts, 'btw -- to all you actual skilled members that may not want to continue with the consistent fail that the current IB/FE structure provides. --- TMO is currently recruited fine and talented active players. for more information, surf on over towww.themysticalorder.net'
[Thu Dec 19 21:26:40 2013] Eccezan shouts, 'Chances of IB/FE achieving any more than mediocrity on this server = zero. '
[Thu Dec 19 21:27:07 2013] Eccezan shouts, 'i know you all feel honored, that I spent money on a hate stone to come up here and discuss important matters with you'
Anyways, really happy to see people responding so positively to all of this. Hope lots of pals, who were fed up with the clusterfuck of a raid scene, actually come back to play.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Agreed, Origin. I got tired of having to play 4 chars just to raid. I'm Heallun and I intend to play Heallun...having to camp him out somewhere for a 30 second fight once or twice a week was bullshit and I'm hoping something could come out of this that would allow me to simply play one character again.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
There are so many good reasons for implementing a server like this. I can't imagine why they wouldn't. Even without an influx of people from a Velious launch, just the current numbers plus those who would come back for a fresh server would be enough to support a healthy but not overcrowded population on two servers. The fail safe option to merge servers later should be enough to persuade them to try.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There are so many good reasons for implementing a server like this. I can't imagine why they wouldn't. Even without an influx of people from a Velious launch, just the current numbers plus those who would come back for a fresh server would be enough to support a healthy but not overcrowded population on two servers. The fail safe option to merge servers later should be enough to persuade them to try.
the main issue with a new server would be that its an extra load on the devs and GMs. there's only two GMs on P99. they could recruit more, but i think they're hesitant to after some of the nutjobs they've regretted giving GM powers to in the past.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
the main issue with a new server would be that its an extra load on the devs and GMs. there's only two GMs on P99. they could recruit more, but i think they're hesitant to after some of the nutjobs they've regretted giving GM powers to in the past.
Yes, I imagine that would be the most challenging aspect of the deal. They would need to double their cs staff and good volunteers are hard to find. Still, I hope they decide it's worth the effort to do so. I personally think it would be well worth it, but then I'm not the one doing the work
wink.png

On some level, I really like the idea of p1999 growing large enough to legitimately warrant another server. It's another step closer to recreating the EQ 'golden days' when they had to open a new server every few months to accommodate the crowds. They'd have to name each server something unique.... I wonder which two classic names they would choose (if any).

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
tinfoil hat conspiracy from P99 forums:

indiscriminate_hater_sl said:
Zeelot and TMO officers are playing the server and GMs for fools - again! This "punishment" is nothing but a small part of an elaborate plot to solidify their standing as the server's most powerful entity, and to set their dominance for Velious and beyond. Not only was this orchestrated and carried out with the full consent and knowledge of the guild leaders, but every single detail of the plan, including researching prior GM intervention and the scope of punishment for such crimes, was meticulously laid out.

You may be asking, "Why would they do something that is going to hurt their reputation and ability to acquire 15-year-old pixels? Why wouldn't they just keep carrying on and BIS-gearing out their 7th alts to ensure utter domination of Velious?

Frankly, it's because the leadership knew the direction in which the opinion of the GMs and the player base was going - that this monopolization of content would not stand for much further, especially with the magnum opus of the server so close to launch: Velious. And their prediction played out perfectly. Rogean's message to the server proved this. And all they had to do was dupe some platinum to set off the chain reaction.

How does this help TMO in the long run? Consider the new threads in Server Chat which are gaining rapid and widespread support. The threads about sharing raid mobs and giving all guilds a chance to get some pixels. TMO leadership knew this would be the first and most likely ultimate response of the player base, and knew they could capitalize on it. The plan is simple: divide and conquer.

With the heat off of the main guild (which will likely be disbanded to perpetuate the farce - hence why the reputation hit everyone keeps talking about won't even matter), the TMO entity would still be able to maintain dominance of all content on P99. This ploy is nothing new: the world has seen it before in the form of satellites of the USSR and US during the cold war, "shell" companies that remove the technicality of a monopoly in business, and horizontal integration of supply chains. The split has been underway for a while now - see, for example, recent TMO collaborations with Europa, Taken, and Azure Guard. It's only a matter of time before the people with excellent raid-leadership experience rise to the top of these satellite guilds.

This is genius masterminding at its best. Just look at RnF over the past 16 hours to see how much attention has been diverted from their plan. Everyone is so caught up in talking shit and the "I told you so" rhetoric that no one has any idea that they are playing directly into TMO's filthy hands.

Lastly, why did they choose a platinum dupe as a catalyst for this revolution? Because the added bonus of the duping scheme was that if, for some reason they were not caught, they would have a ton of PP to help further their plan. It's win-win, and it's damn effective.
Wake up, Sheeple! - Project 1999

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Well this duping thing surely did not help them acquire 3000000 accounts so they can lock down the entire raid scene for the last two years... joke. I also find it hard to believe that only 2 people were in on it, everyone else playing the "I didn't know game". Yeah, bullshit

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i really don't think there was some widespread conspiracy in the guild. there's way too many people in that guild, including a few internet white knights. someone would have squealed.

now, whether or not the LEADERSHIP knew about it? i wouldn't be surprised if they did. i'm almost completely sure that the average TMO member had no idea, though.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Whether the leadership or even the average members were complicit is irrelevant, this is forum quest and there's nothing we like more than a good witch hunt.