Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Agree that opening a new blue would solve the problem. No need to wipe the old and infuriate and alienate a ton people. If you like the current server, stay there. If you don't, move to new sever. Pretty simple really.

Anyone know why they won't discuss such a seemingly obvious solution? Especially when it appears they have the money to make it happen.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Agree that opening a new blue would solve the problem. No need to wipe the old and infuriate and alienate a ton people. If you like the current server, stay there. If you don't, move to new sever. Pretty simple really.

Anyone know why they won't discuss such a seemingly obvious solution? Especially when it appears they have the money to make it happen.
A few months ago Denaurwhateverthefuck flamed me on P99 for mentioning the raid scene was horrible and might require admin intervention, saying things were great, so who knows when they'll get a clue.

Not sure why they don't make the upcoming teams guy into Blue2, but it's their playground.

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
I feel like people are campaigning for a new server not because they think it'll fix any sort of problem, but because they just want a new server since they didn't get a chance to camp a guise/manastone/whatever.

Creating a new server doesn't fix a problem, it just creates a new one. I know I'd personally play on both servers at the same time. People are just going to try to dominate both servers at once, and now you have two servers at 1200 pop whining about raids or whatever.

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Agreed Reiker. Outside of the raid scene, p99 is pretty much in an ideal situation as far as population goes. Lots of groups everywhere you look. I don't see any reason to believe people would come in droves if a new server was opened and I have every reason to believe it would decimate p99's population.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like people are campaigning for a new server not because they think it'll fix any sort of problem, but because they just want a new server since they didn't get a chance to camp a guise/manastone/whatever.

Creating a new server doesn't fix a problem, it just creates a new one. I know I'd personally play on both servers at the same time. People are just going to try to dominate both servers at once, and now you have two servers at 1200 pop whining about raids or whatever.
What about the fact theres one guild that had the opportunity to dupe massive platinum, buy everyones geared toons so they can have raid forces parked at multiple raid targets at any time when it was legal to buy accounts, and now suddenly the plat dupe is banned and account banning is banned but that guild still has the accounts. Even without the dupe the server has been in kunark too long and people know kunark so well that there is a shit ton of items, before the plat dupe there were other dupes, ontop of amelinda and crew duping items for real money. The server has been fuckton corrupt leading to an overflow of legacy items and people loaded with cash...

A new server would even that out and the playing field, although I still wouldnt want to play there because single boxing blows and we all know it'll just end up the same unless they can release expansions in a timely manner.

I dont care to hear you say thats not true, I have a RL friend who has about 10 accounts fully VP geared, all of which he never did himself because he's quit and sold and bought new about 10 times over, ontop of having amelinda unban many of his accounts and friends... and was massively involved in amelinda duping/selling plat. I mean wtf people buy rods of annihlation for 700 usd, that server only exists to take peoples money.

As its been said many times over here and on p1999 forums, kunark was not meant to hold people for 2 years or more.. the retail version had velious by now and had more raid targets + people didnt know the best things to camp + strats right away. I dunno the real fix, maybe dont let people have more than one account per IP I guess but damn its too far gone if you ask me.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Rogean flat out said a new server, at this time, is NOT happening. They don't have the manpower and resources. They're 100% heads-down on Velious.

However, they've implemented features in such a way as it's a toggle to turn them on/off they claim. Noone can predict the future, but one of the ideas they'd like to think about when they get there is, after Velious is out, and they've implemented all the changes and additions through the Velious time line, and it's reasonably "as classic as possible" with the main bugs/exploits/differences ironed out, THEN start a new server, and adhere to the actual original timeline, toggling things on when they should happen.

Basically it'd be a new progression server, but not until they have all the pieces done.

They've also talked about custom content post-Velious as an idea that might be fun, but again, noone can predict the future and how they'll feel when that time arrives.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Wipe it clean. People willing to poop sock for years on a 15 year old game are not going anywhere.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I played on P99 for a little while and have little desire to ever go back to the current server, but I would without question jump on a fresh instance that runs on the classic timeline. That would be awesome.

Noahx

N00b
Ok... so might rollup but a few questions:

Wife and I will probably will toggle this with another game... should we go for good "duo" classes? Or go with whatever and force ourselves to find others / risk not finding groups.

From this era, what were decent classes/gimp classes? While its fun to "play what you want"... we like most all the classes. Chanters? Bards? Druids? Wars? Just looking for any winds of opinion.

Its kinda dumb we have a strong desire to play this stuff again but after reading this shit we both are feeling like crack addicts needing a hit.
EverQuest | The List | 10 Things I Miss From Older MMOs | MMORPG

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ remember that this era has hybrid EXP penalties for some classes.... so Paladins / SKs / Rangers / Bards require significantly more EXP to level. Bards are still really popular despite the EXP penalty, since they are pretty powerful in this era when played well... Paladins / SKs / Rangers basically don't exist though.

Shaman and Enchanter are probably the two most powerful classes in this era, but both start out slow.

and remember that there is no Plane of Knowledge in this era, so one of you might want to go Druid or Wizard for ease of travel.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Duo I like best is Dark Elf Cleric + Dark Elf Enchanter.

Start in same zone.
Ultravision.
No racial xp penalty.
Minimal class xp penalty (-20% caster)
Charm + complete heal means you can break and defeat almost any camp in the game.
Both have racial hide so you can afk together in dangerous places, and hold those camps.
You are 2/3 of the foundation to an awesome xp group.

I could also make an argument for Halfling Druid + Dark Elf Enchanter if you prefer convenience and leveling speed to sheer power and group desirability.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I know a ton of people who managed to get guises/manastones/whatever and would kill for a new server, myself included. I'm sure you would too.

EQ wasn't meant to be played in one expansion for 3 years. The inflation is fucking ridiculous. Velious status is unknown. It's not a good scene overall.

Glad that some casuals will be able to see content now though.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know a ton of people who managed to get guises/manastones/whatever and would kill for a new server, myself included. I'm sure you would too.

EQ wasn't meant to be played in one expansion for 3 years. The inflation is fucking ridiculous. Velious status is unknown. It's not a good scene overall.

Glad that some casuals will be able to see content now though.
I've heard dozens of strong arguments for why a new blue server would be not only called for, but well received. I have yet to hear a single argument as to why it would be a bad idea.

This is not to say that Rogean will actually do it, but to argue that a new blue server doesn't make sense is just silly. You either aren't paying attention to the current situation or you have some other agenda for denying the obvious.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Only reason it's a bad idea is because they do this for free, and they are already stretched thin on staff.

Also money - I don't know how much donations they get but I doubt it covers the cost of the server+bandwidth - Rogean says Blue uses 5TB alone a month.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only reason it's a bad idea is because they do this for free, and they are already stretched thin on staff.

Also money - I don't know how much donations they get but I doubt it covers the cost of the server+bandwidth - Rogean says Blue uses 5TB alone a month.
What you're describing is more of an obstacle suggesting itcouldn'tbe done, rather than a reason suggesting itshouldn'tbe done. I'm not saying there aren't obstacles- what I'm saying is there are dozens of reasons to find a way around those obstacles.

Only Rogean knows all the obstacles preventing a second blue server from being launched and I'm not going to second guess him. If he says it can't be done, I'll accept that.

Clearly money would be one major obstacle. As to that, a simple-work around would be a fund raiser with the opening of a second server as the goal. If the goal is met, the second server opens, if not, it doesn't.

Another obstacle is staff. I have a feeling if Rogean put I the time and effort, he would find more than enough volunteers to help him staff the second server. That brings up the main obstacle- time. It would obviously be a reasonably significant time investment for Rogean to open a new blue and, like I said before, only he knows if he has the time to devote to it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, these guys all have full time jobs - at least Rogean, Nilbog, and the other devs. A 3rd server may just require more time than they have to give, and it's hard to find people who will do stuff for free AND that you can trust.