Project Power (2020)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
1.25 star(s) Rating: 1.25/5 4 Votes
Title: Project Power (2020)

Tagline: What would you risk for five minutes of pure power?

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Crime

Director: Henry Joost, Ariel Schulman

Cast: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jamie Foxx, Rodrigo Santoro, Machine Gun Kelly, Amy Landecker, Courtney B. Vance, Tait Fletcher, Yoshi Sudarso, Allen Maldonado, Dominique Fishback, Jim Klock, Casey Neistat, Azhar Khan, Joseph Poliquin, Andrene Ward-Hammond, Kyanna Simone Simpson, C.J. LeBlanc, Mike Seal, Kim Baptiste, Cecilia Leal, CG Lewis, Luke Hawx, Chip Carriere, Rose Bianco, Theodus Crane, Toney Chapman Steele, Peter Jaymes Jr., Sam Malone, Cory DeMeyers, Carli McIntyre, Michael Wozniak, Justin Carmouche, Christopher Winchester, Sienna Jeffries, Eric Scarabin, Mike R. Moreau

Release: 2020-08-14

Runtime: 111

Plot: An ex-soldier, a teen and a cop collide in New Orleans as they hunt for the source behind a dangerous new pill that grants users temporary superpowers.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Project Power... it's kind of like a physical strength version of Limitless mixed with a little Fantastic Four/X-Men. It also stars Jamie Foxx & JGL, so there's that. It'll probably be decent.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

is this based on Mark Millars MPH?

Edit: don't see any mention of it. the idea of super powers in a drug/pill isn't exactly new.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I liked this, but there are a couple parts where they hit you on the head with a "black" message. The action was pretty good as well as the powers they showed.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was fun to watch.

I liked the rapport between Dominque and Jamie's characters, especially during the rap scene. In fact I would say Dominque was the surprise in this movie. She did a good job acting.

I am always weary of scenes where the good guy shows how he is about to do something (swallow a super pill) and none of the trained, armed, and capable shooters take a shot at his head. A bullet flies faster than a person's ability to swallow. Its like watching a bomb count down and all they had to do was shoot it.

The premise was different, though the "5 minute" thing is not new. I think a longer amount of time would have improved the movie.

7/10

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Is this called PROject power, or proJECT power?

I can't watch this until I know for sure!

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This was not all that great, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is terrible which is weird, effects were good enough, but all in all it was mediocre.

Goatface

was a little disappointed. starting to wonder if all actors that do a new orleans accent are terrible or is the new orleans accent terrible.
glad the girl thought of her mom after meeting
a god level healer at the end

for most of the movie was thinking how much better a Push sequel or reboot would be.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Learning about pistol shrimp is the best part of the
movie

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
6/10. Superpower scenes were pretty awesome, all the rest of the action scenes especially the gun fights were horrible. It was the scrappy doo problem, having a kid be a main cast member constantly downshifted the story into kiddie mode. The story was super weak, the bad guy was pretty much invisible/worthless, Jamie Foxx was good but I thought JGL was terrible and really almost a throwaway character.

I'd pretty much rank this last in the recent Netflix action pantheon of Old Guard, Extraction, and 6 Underground

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Learning about pistol shrimp is the best part of the
movie

the problem is that the description he gave about pistol shrimp is both vague AND incorrect. he says that... well spoilers i guess...

he says that pistol shrimp basically detonate and generate 8000 degree heat, hotter than the surface of the sun. which is about double the heat a pistol shrimp generates. and they don't just "detonate" ... they move their claw extremely quickly, something like 90km p/hour. but since it's underwater, it creates this instant cavitation where the area becomes a vacuum. when the vacuum closes it superheats the surrounding water to about 4000 degrees, but ONLY in a very small area. it doesn't melt the it's prey, that wouldn't help the shrimp. it just stuns them from the sound (about the sound of a handgun) and the flash. it's basically a melee flashbang.

but in the movie, jamie fox just explodes and starts chucking waves of plasma at everyone. it was a super cool effect, but they went through the time and energy to research what a pistol shrimp does and then just ignored it all. i would have preferred it if he had a superspeed type power but it had the same effect. he just moves super quick and creates the kinds of physics that the flash SHOULD cause.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
6/10. Superpower scenes were pretty awesome, all the rest of the action scenes especially the gun fights were horrible. It was the scrappy doo problem, having a kid be a main cast member constantly downshifted the story into kiddie mode. The story was super weak, the bad guy was pretty much invisible/worthless, Jamie Foxx was good but I thought JGL was terrible and really almost a throwaway character.

I'd pretty much rank this last in the recent Netflix action pantheon of Old Guard, Extraction, and 6 Underground

i'd put extraction above all the rest, if for no other reason than the action made sense and was engaging. i mean it's not a perfect movie, the stupid sniper shots are SUPER irritating, but hemsworth is great in it. and also he slaps around a bunch of kids.

spronk

FPS noob
The really more interesting conversation is whether subliminal "wokeness" is something that you can fight against today or not? For example in this movie the two most powerful "bad guys" are women - the lead scientist and the "South American drug cartel leader". Both are laughably sketchy in character development or believability, but no one can really talk about that kinda shit anymore. If you point it out in anything mainstream you will get excoriated for being misogynist. Its subliminally influencing kids to see women as equivalent to men in all facets of life, which isn't really true - men are still like 91% of those in jails, hence they do way more crime and lead way more gangs.

Yeah, just not watching this kind of shit is fine but it doesn't really send a message to anyone because no one with power gives a shit what you think anymore. I never watched When They See Us on Netflix (about Central Park 6) and its one of the highest rated shows on netflix. I've never watched a second of Grey's Anatomy or 13 Reasons Why but they were two of the top 10 streamed shows last year. Desperados was the top watched movies on Netflix in July and its just rom-com garbage. You can rant and rave about how you will not watch anything "SJW" but no one is making stuff for you anymore. I used to torrent 20+ shows a week, most weeks now I don't torrent a single thing.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the problem is that the description he gave about pistol shrimp is both vague AND incorrect. he says that... well spoilers i guess...

he says that pistol shrimp basically detonate and generate 8000 degree heat, hotter than the surface of the sun. which is about double the heat a pistol shrimp generates. and they don't just "detonate" ... they move their claw extremely quickly, something like 90km p/hour. but since it's underwater, it creates this instant cavitation where the area becomes a vacuum. when the vacuum closes it superheats the surrounding water to about 4000 degrees, but ONLY in a very small area. it doesn't melt the it's prey, that wouldn't help the shrimp. it just stuns them from the sound (about the sound of a handgun) and the flash. it's basically a melee flashbang.

but in the movie, jamie fox just explodes and starts chucking waves of plasma at everyone. it was a super cool effect, but they went through the time and energy to research what a pistol shrimp does and then just ignored it all. i would have preferred it if he had a superspeed type power but it had the same effect. he just moves super quick and creates the kinds of physics that the flash SHOULD cause.
Oh yeah the movie is dumb. But I watched a bunch of nature videos about pistol shrimp afterwards that were way better

• 1Solidarity

Goatface

his fear of his power, he was going to have some sort of crazy toxic skin like a frog and everyone would just die around him. think the one guy said it take natural abilities and amplifies them, but the only thing he should be able to do with the shrimp power would be some crazy hulk clap.

Argarth

On the verandah
Derivative, nonsensical plot, and I only sat it out hoping for some kind of payoff. Instead, the ending actually made me laugh. Rubbish.

(Thank the stars for Doctor Sleep. Enjoyed that immensely)

Caliane

Is this called PROject power, or proJECT power?

I can't watch this until I know for sure!
präˌjekt power. As in, class project.

yeah, good fx from time to time. especially the ice and fire FX. Rest was pretty dumb and lame. not remotely as good as Push. Villains are non-existent. absolutely no good payoff in the end.

Book learning is for dummys. rapping and drugs is the real way to succeed for a black woman, since the "system" is made to keep them down, apparently. horrible messaging.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff

Push was so damn good. I came to it late after it was already on DVD and have been kicking myself since it's completely my cup of tea but my hard earned $ did not support it when it was needed.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this last night. I'd put it as a medium-high tier for Netflix movies, medium tier for movies in general. The good stuff was pretty good (pistol shrimp!), especially at the end.

I think what this movie really benefited from was the fact that the powers are all unknown, so there was this anticipation whenever someone popped a pill to see what would happen next. I think it they tried to make a sequel, they would be hard pressed to recapture that.

I mention sequel there because I think actually are a couple sequels in the making at Netflix, (The Extraction and Old Guard) which have the potential to evolve into full-fledged franchises in the future. This I hope does not.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database