Project Quarm - 1 Box Planes of Power

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's absolutely a meta thing. This era of classic is well and truly solved and almost anyone still playing these things knows the optimal routes etc, so the the player base being 40% bards/neros/mages isn't at all surprising. The only real issue is how badly bards fuck up every outdoor zone for all the boomer dads trying to level their triple barbarian friend group on the weekends or whatever.

Killed Pyzjn last night, had a stone. Can't loot it cause I'm not level 15 and there's some 'legacy' item code here that put level requirements to even pick up an item on stuff? I'm pretty tilted

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think there is a weird juxtaposition of desires with the server having slow exp, 9 month expansions but we’ve got super fast spawns and increased drop rates. It means you’ll get stacked quickly like a TLP but have triple the time in the expansion. I have mixed feelings.

I think maybe you’re better off just letting a classic server be classic and when people cry about having to camp a single Gnoll spawn you say “this is what you asked for, this is Classic EQ”

Overall I love the server and have had a ton of fun playing on it though.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I think there is a weird juxtaposition of desires with the server having slow exp, 9 month expansions but we’ve got super fast spawns and increased drop rates. It means you’ll get stacked quickly like a TLP but have triple the time in the expansion. I have mixed feelings.

I think maybe you’re better off just letting a classic server be classic and when people cry about having to camp a single Gnoll spawn you say “this is what you asked for, this is Classic EQ”

Overall I love the server and have had a ton of fun playing on it though.
My expectation was maybe 700 people at most. I didn't want to change from 9 months to TLP length. So, this is a nice compromise given the situation.

If we turn off respawns, we'll likely have some complaints - but also, I'm curious to see how that goes, too.

• 2Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Heh those people need to give up. This server already isn't true classic in the sense that there are so many non-classic changes/rules implemented in order to combat "problems" that the devs seem adamant about fixing/preventing, i.e reduced spawn times, no ksing, no ninja-looting, camp rules, raid rotations, increased loot drop rates for specific items etc etc. The fact that bards are still permitted to swarm kite because it's "classic" while several other non-classic decisions were made kinda blew my mind.

I'd bet a lot of the bard swarm kiting cause it's classic advocates are also simultaneously advocates for several of the non-classic rules/changes. I'd also be willing to bet that the majority of the "classic no changes" people never actually played in 1999, or if they did they never got a high enough lvl in 1999 to even know wtf was going on on their server. Always found it quite odd that it seems like the majority of players on private servers and TLP's seem to have strong opinions on what classic EQ was, when the amount of people still playing currently that played in 1999 has to be a minority, and the number of people who even got high enough lvl in 1999 to have any sense of wtf was going on is an even smaller minority.

The one that always makes me laugh is when people post about classic eq (pre kunark) as if it was some utopia where reputation mattered and camps were respected and KS'ing was nearly non-existent. There was more mother fucking ks'ing, camp stealing, intentional training, ninja-looting, camp monopolization, item stealing debauchery going on in the first year of EQ than what you would currently experience on TLP's. I'm sure there has to be some people out there that remember in 1999 there were literally websites dedicated to trolling people on EQ where people would post stories or draw illustrations of all the stuff I mentioned above.
Yeah, I don't enjoy bard swarming because it's bad game design. It allows one class to have a major advantage over all other classes. I'm capping the AOEs soon, just haven't had a moment to do so. It'll be 4 as the PBAOE limit.

P99ers will likely just say, "Well, I'll just monopolize all the mobs until they're dead" - and then our solution becomes suspending or banning those people.
I also think mass pulling / AOE'ing zones is terrible design, so the limit on that will likely stay 25 indefinitely.

Classic is full of stuff that if we had knowledge of how it worked in 1999 with communication as we do now that it would be nerfed by Verant / SOE rather quickly.
It's also hard being the arbiter of what goes, and what stays. We're trying to do the best we can but there's ultimately no way to make 'correct' decisions - it's all subjective.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Classic is full of stuff that if we had knowledge of how it worked in 1999 with communication as we do now that it would be nerfed by Verant / SOE rather quickly.
It's also hard being the arbiter of what goes, and what stays. We're trying to do the best we can but there's ultimately no way to make 'correct' decisions - it's all subjective.

This is really the crux of a lot of it. Most of the stupid/degenerate shit took place in actual classic, but the people who figured it out were few and far between, and knowledge share was really only word of mouth so it never spread out to the masses and never became endemic enough to catch the attention of devs or GMs.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
If you think Bards are the peak complaint about your gaming experience right now, wait until you hit 50.
Yeah, I don't enjoy bard swarming because it's bad game design. It allows one class to have a major advantage over all other classes. I'm capping the AOEs soon, just haven't had a moment to do so. It'll be 4 as the PBAOE limit.

P99ers will likely just say, "Well, I'll just monopolize all the mobs until they're dead" - and then our solution becomes suspending or banning those people.
I also think mass pulling / AOE'ing zones is terrible design, so the limit on that will likely stay 25 indefinitely.

S Secrets can we compromise and go 6 instead of 4? Bard swarming is extemely limited in its use in open world and a majority of zones are not reasonably swarmable.

People are just complaining about it now due to the huge population size vs available mobs and they are only seeing it in a couple zones. You can't swarm the dungeons that make up a majority of exp/gear content that people seek.

When they get above level 20-30, they'll find something new to complain about without fundamentally understanding the underlying issues of what they are complaining about.

When a single Necro or Mage is camping a Guk or Sol AB spawn, are they going to cry about pet classes having too much power to hold single camps?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you think Bards are the peak complaint about your gaming experience right now, wait until you hit 50.

S Secrets can we compromise and go 6 instead of 4? Bard swarming is extemely limited in its use in open world and a majority of zones are not reasonably swarmable.

People are just complaining about it now due to the huge population size vs available mobs and they are only seeing it in a couple zones. You can't swarm the dungeons that make up a majority of exp/gear content that people seek.

When they get above level 20-30, they'll find something new to complain about without fundamentally understanding the underlying issues of what they are complaining about.

When a single Necro or Mage is camping a Guk or Sol AB spawn, are they going to cry about pet classes having too much power to hold single vamps?
Swarmer Bard confirmed, here is in-game FRAPS footage of Masakari Masakari

San Diego Bike GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Everyone still around will care much less when there is more zones, AKA expansion 2 and 3.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Heh those people need to give up. This server already isn't true classic in the sense that there are so many non-classic changes/rules implemented in order to combat "problems" that the devs seem adamant about fixing/preventing, i.e reduced spawn times, no ksing, no ninja-looting, camp rules, raid rotations, increased loot drop rates for specific items etc etc. The fact that bards are still permitted to swarm kite because it's "classic" while several other non-classic decisions were made kinda blew my mind.

I'd bet a lot of the bard swarm kiting cause it's classic advocates are also simultaneously advocates for several of the non-classic rules/changes. I'd also be willing to bet that the majority of the "classic no changes" people never actually played in 1999, or if they did they never got a high enough lvl in 1999 to even know wtf was going on on their server. Always found it quite odd that it seems like the majority of players on private servers and TLP's seem to have strong opinions on what classic EQ was, when the amount of people still playing currently that played in 1999 has to be a minority, and the number of people who even got high enough lvl in 1999 to have any sense of wtf was going on is an even smaller minority.

The one that always makes me laugh is when people post about classic eq (pre kunark) as if it was some utopia where reputation mattered and camps were respected and KS'ing was nearly non-existent. There was more mother fucking ks'ing, camp stealing, intentional training, ninja-looting, camp monopolization, item stealing debauchery going on in the first year of EQ than what you would currently experience on TLP's. I'm sure there has to be some people out there that remember in 1999 there were literally websites dedicated to trolling people on EQ where people would post stories or draw illustrations of all the stuff I mentioned above.
"EQ is only classic if we enforce rules that make everyone as ignorant of the game now as they were then"

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Does anyone's screen freeze when they open their character menu or land a spell?

I started getting hit a lot more during my swarms because the screen freezes up when the dots land.

Fix: Turn off Vertical Sync & Triple Buffering, keep FPS locked at 60.

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was watching Oxfurd play and realized that the vertical sense problem goes away if you go third person :emoji_laughing:

Me stupid

I think I'll elf it up for awhile.

• 1Like