Project Spark

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
How is there not a thread dedicated to this? I've seen it referenced in the EQ Next thread and it's probably been talked about in next gen consoles some, but this deserves a thread of its own. People have been theorycrafting over the ideal MMO on FoH for over a decade, and this might be the first legit tool that enables the armchair developers to put their theory to practice to some extent. How many are trying to get into the beta (starting soon)? It could be cool to see some ppl on the board come together to collectively try to design an MMO through this at some point during beta (so that they can give feedback while really trying to create a fun MMO).

I was really excited about the potential of building a world through EQ landmark, but the tools Project Spark brings to being able to easily create an actual game look like they'll be unmatched. Potentially revolutionary.

Project Spark - Swan Song JRPG - YouTube

New Project Spark In-Game Demo

Quaid

Trump's Staff
This game looks incredible.

Too bad it's a Microsoft game, and I wouldn't give them a dime unless there was a gun pointed at my head.

Is there an MMO aspect to this? Can you create an MMORPG in your space and have people connect to it? What are the size limits on the world you can create? How many people can you have connect to your world?

Pharazon

All great questions I want to know the answer to myself, which is why I was disappointed not to find a thread dedicated to this. I don't know how much of an MMO you can create with it currently (guessing you couldn't make anything to that scale for a while), but I would think at some point they would expand it to that level. What's really exciting to me about it is that they are putting these awesome tools in place first, and then they can worry about scale later. The fact that you can make animations using Kinect is awesome. If they get the tools in place that enable creators to easily make the kind of games they want, the rest would follow. Scale, unlimited graphic models, whatever.

I'm planning to get a Surface Pro 2 anyways, but this might end up being the best reason yet to do so.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Thanks for sharing this. Any idea if you can design your own combat mechanics? I'll look in to this but can't watch an hour long movie at the moment.

I spent a lot of time making Neverwinter Nights modules and made some good stuff in that. It was fairly easy to make a basic campaign with your own 100% original world, and add your own quests and characters and dialogues and stuff. Pretty cool. But at the end of the day it was still NWN with the clunky ass engine and old fashioned combat that didn't work in a way I wanted, and changing that was just not possible or feasible.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about Landmark and now this. Making a world would be fine but for me to care I would really need to be able to specify mob HP, damage output, and the same for the player classes and how all the spells work and stuff.

Pharazon

Thanks for sharing this. Any idea if you can design your own combat mechanics? I'll look in to this but can't watch an hour long movie at the moment.
From what I've seen so far there's going to be a huge amount of flexibility regarding combat mechanics. This isn't an RPG where the combat mechanics are in place and you just create the world. You'll be able to create almost any type of game you want and tune the mechanics to some extent I think. Every time I watch somebody make a new game in these videos the mechanics are different. The tools are in place to create AI's, aggro radii, hp, tune damage, etc. etc. And every time you see these guys sitting there creating, you can tell they're having fun. This thing is going to explode. Free, will work on any PC or XBOX eventually and is compatible cross platform?

Btw, I saw in one of the videos that they're waiting to announce multiplayer capability all at once, but that it's definitely in the works. Co-op creation and actual play of the games.

This video is over a month old but I hadn't seen it, going through some of these every night now.

Project Spark - Infinite World Announce Live Stream - YouTube

Pharazon

This newest video has a nice summary at the beginning. Includes examples of some of the content that was created by players early on in the alpha it sounds like, but still cool stuff. They show a nice skeletal dragon model somebody made but only hinted at the plan for animations for something like that. Then they go through some of the mini games players threw together early on in what they say was a small amount of time, but you can see how varied this stuff can be. One game where you play a ball rolling around and collecting coins, one where you're a slow moving robot that carries a sword but can transform into a jet. The possibilities are going to be endless, and I can imagine really cool games coming out of this from small, dedicated teams of enthusiasts.

Project Spark - Community Creation Spotlight - YouTube

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only watched a few vids. This looks really cool. Unfortunately I have serious questions as to if this could ever create a mmo that had any significant depth. Looks better at creating junior RPGs, 3D jumpers, and side scrollers. I could be totally wrong- I'm sure I haven't seen the entire breadth of what the game can actually do yet. I am also not thrilled with the art assets (esp the trees and char models). I hope they have a way to supplement user gen art assets or have a much wider palette than the demos have shown.

Still, it seems worth following

Pharazon

In every one of these vids they show off new tools and create little scenarios unlike any you've seen in the previous videos. In this latest one they show off an aggro range setting you can adjust. I don't know when this tool will get up to the level of being able to generate an mmo, but it's clearly heading in that direction (amongst an ability to be able to generate a wide variety of other types of games). The exciting thing is that they are mainly concerned with putting all the tools in place first. Too often game creators place scale before fun. I think back to when WoW was in early development, they said they focused on trying to make one starting area fun before applying it to an entire game. That is what they are doing here. They are making sure the tools are in place for game creators to be able to do almost anything they'd like in a fun and easy manner. The tools will be put in place eventually for scale, and it's going to be crazy seeing what people will do with them. Their dev team will always be able to add in more art assets and such later.

Shit is going to be revolutionary, I have zero doubt. Invite a friend over, fire up PSpark on your XBOX1 on the big screen while they help you build the very same game / world on their Surface Pro.

Project Spark - Scary Stream - YouTube

Fish1_sl

shitlord
It sounds like the best thing ever. The thing is, even Everquest didn't really have that much going on in terms of 'depth'. If you can make a big world, fill it with mobs for people to kill, fill the database with loots, then you're most of the way there. I don't know if it would be able to do some more modern ideas, but even if the average gamer could just make a good old school style MMO, it could be amazing.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Looks interesting, then I noticed that the beta is for Windows 8.

Really? Are there people who upgrade to this? On purpose? Only people I know with it are the ones who bought laptops with it pre-installed. If it is win 8 / xbox one only, I guess I won't be trying this.

Edit: Messed around with some gifs, they were too large, uploaded one, turned into a jpg, and now when I go into edit or attachments, I can't seem to find a way to delete it. Meh.

Pharazon

This stream was interesting. The first half hour shows a demo of a "prop pack" and all the different little things they can do. There's some pretty cool ones there, but this is just one of many that they'll be putting out over time. If you want to see something really cool though, fast forward to 44:00. Some random alpha tester built Minas Tirith with the Spark tools. It crashes before they really get a chance to take it apart...but from the little you see it looks pretty fuckin awesome and substantive, not just a fa?ade.

Project Spark - Prop Shop Epic Castle - YouTube

Vilgan_sl

shitlord

Really? Are there people who upgrade to this? On purpose? Only people I know with it are the ones who bought laptops with it pre-installed. If it is win 8 / xbox one only, I guess I won't be trying this.
Most people I know have switched to Windows 8. For the super casual Mom and Pop users it doesn't offer much although 8.1 got a lot better. For anyone that uses computers even slightly more than casually though it is a really nice upgrade over Windows 7.

This seems like a nice midway point between Little Big Planet and Unity. Real games can use Unity (which seems fairly easy to pick up) but for the side hobby group this seems like a potential good fit.

Pharazon

Here's the Project Spark beta intro video, and then a stream showing how they made it. It looks like a pretty high % of the video was created with Project Spark itself , including most of the cooler effects. They added the spark in but show in the video that they had pretty much the same thing in the actual game footage. It's awesome to see the potential power for easy scripting that this will have, I can't wait to mess around with the beta.

Project Spark Intro Video - YouTube

Project Spark - the Intro Video - YouTube

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider

Edit: Messed around with some gifs, they were too large, uploaded one, turned into a jpg, and now when I go into edit or attachments, I can't seem to find a way to delete it. Meh.
Do you own a Windows 8?
Do you use Windows 8?

I was like you until I assmebled my new gaming desktop with Windows 8.
I'm happy with it. I always ask people what they hate about it; I can't remember a single legitimate reason.

The "game" looks promising; I like the idea.
Reminds me of RPG maker.

But maybe you do have a legitimate reason (besides "I'm used to other OS and I don't want to try something else" which is still a good reason).

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Got to play with Project Spark today. The technology behind it is quite impressive and I am very intrigued by the ability of this game to teach the fundamentals of logic-based coding and elementary computer science. It certainly has the potential to be much more ground breaking in terms of edutainment than Little Big Planet was based on the mechanisms by which the creator has to edit and interact with the content.

That having been said...

JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST!! Microsoft has gone completely apeshit with "microtransactions" for this game. It is as if the creators of the title came up with this amazing procedural based content creation and sandbox toy system and then some executive fresh off a Farmville bender went "so how much money can we charge for each prop / effect / control / tool in the game???!?".

"Playing" the game, which in this context means going through content creation tutorials as well as running through content created by other people and generating your own content, gains you Coins which you can use to buy some rudimentary props but the cost of these props seem somewhat high as in "play for a couple hours and you can afford to unlock a different colored staff to put into games you create". For the big things like different lighting schemes, different NPC and PC models, different palette sets etc you have to spend "Tokens" which are about on par with the cost of old Microsoft points in the Xbox 360 era.

Not only do you need to pay to unlock these things as a creator, but as a player you are only allowed 30 mins of Sparktime a day. What is Sparktime? This is the time you are allowed to play content created by others that contains any object, effect, color etc that you do not yourself own. Now you can, of course, add additional Sparktime to your account... for a moderate donation of $$$. It looked like a monthly fee of $30 gave you bonus experience and also unlimited Sparktime which seems more than a little steep.

I went from being very impressed with the demo to soul-crushingly depressed as soon as I saw the shop. Now the game is obviously still far from primetime and I may be totally off base in my opinion based on what may be placeholder costs, but if not then I fear the game is going to either be painfully expensive or really only accessible using least common denominator assets such that the largest possible pool of players can actually play your level.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yeah. I got into the beta over Christmas. Played the choose your adventure thing for five minutes then tried to create something and discovered the shop. I uninstalled. Sadly the key is linked to Xbox live account so you can't even give it away.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
When i read threads like this all i think is, they really want to take us back to coin-op gaming don't they ?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder if years from now we are going to look back and say to our kids 'I remember the days when you could just buy a game and play it out of the box without paying for anything else.'

I'm really opposed to microtransactions and everything the are doing to the game industry. It may be pointless, but I will happily boycott all games to utilize microtransactions.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I genuinely don't have a problem with microtransactions in the context of actually being MICROtransactions and/or in the context of fluff content. Where I have an issue is when the magnitude of the microtransaction not only rivals but far exceeds the cost of a full retail title or is so ingrained into the content so as to make the game unplayable without it.

Candy Crush Saga or Tiny Death Star are good examples of free to play microtransaction supported titles. You can enjoy them perfectly fine without one thin dime being spent and indeed not spending money makes for A better game. As I browsed the Project Spark store my mental tally of costs put it roughly in Skylanders territory to just be able to enjoy what is baseline content.

Xbox One needs a killer app to move units, I think Project Spark might have been a great way to lure in adoptors but instead will end up as a Little Big Planet clone