PS3 Powering down (at random) after booting up...

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PS3 turns off (including "you didn't shut it off right" warning) a little bit after turning it on - sometimes a second after turning on, sometimes minutes after turning on - just started, max playtime is ~5-10 min that I've managed since it's started. And no lights when it shuts down, no yellow light, no blinking reds or anything

Probably just going to trash it and replace (at least once I recover Dark Souls from the drive) - is this the sort of thing that would actually be remotely fixable for a reasonable amount? Anyone know?

[And yes, it's out of warranty - and a PS3 Slim - if that matters]

Sean_sl

shitlord
I think they charge $150 for repairing a PS3, at least that's what mine cost a few years ago. Not sure if they lowered it or not since then, you might want to call them and find out. You might be better off just buying an entirely new one at that price and just popping your old HDD into the new one.

Solariss

Golden Squire
It's 99$ now, fuck buying a new one since the next gen is around the corner. I sent mine back a couple months ago and they fixed it or sent me a refurbished one for 100 bucks. You can also check a box on the slip they send you that says you have a disc stuck in the system, and they'll recover it and send it back to you. Just go to the site and find the system issue area... it's actually not very hard to find. They send you a box in the mail that you put your ps3 in, with a fedex label, and that's that. Takes a couple weeks to get back. Backup your shit if you care about it, because they'll wipe it

It sounds like you have an overheating issue. It could be as simple as the fan not working properly. The system will auto shut down if the fan stops or it gets too hot. Funny, I figured this out on my ps2 because the same thing kept happening, so I ghetto rigged it and always played with a box fan behind the system blowing into it. Worked perfectly

edit: link,http://support.us.playstation.com/ap.../106/related/1

Vaclav

PS4/Whatever isn't on the schedule til Summer '14 at the earliest from how things look, they've got too many exclusives coming out this year amongst other things. (Plus, frankly with my level of use and income - $200+ to get a new one is no big - $40k before investment income goes a long ways with the house and car paid off when you're disabled - regardless got too much tied up in PS3 anyhow to switch over too soon next gen unless they announce it including backwards compatibility [which would be iffy with Sony])

But it does sound like something that would be reasonable to have them fix to have a secondary one for the wife to use? Course getting a new one if I went that route wouldn't be that far off either.... decisions...

[And note, only got a 160g in the current so any I bought would be similar drive size or larger - unless I bought an ancient used one but that's not worth considering.]

Is anyone familiar with doing it oneself though? I'd consider repairing via the buying a part on ebay and self-installing if anyone has a likely diagnosis - I'm thinking the power supply is failing, but not sure - and would avoid the downtime and got basic electronics savvy.

Vaclav

From what I've seen overheating flashes the red light though, at least that's what net research implies.

Vaclav

Replacing it today, will continue working on the process in a bit - have to see if Best Buy carries moderate sized box fans to try that theorem. (Too lazy to hit Lowe's or someplace else additional for the fan today)

Vaclav

So.... cat booted the new super slim off the dresser it was (securely I might add - cat was really working to break it! Ringed by other heavy devices like the TiVo and everything!) on destroying it - decided to see how the old one runs with the newer drive since the new one is clearly not fixable (could see in enough to see snapped PCB) - and amazingly working on 3 hrs now of constant up time with the NEW HARD DRIVE in the existing system.

Really wonder if either a) the rest or b) the hard drive swap was the cure it needed because it's running like a dream thusfar - although time will tell. Still gonna re-replace it in a few days, possibly after getting on a PETA most wanted list.