Pyre (Supergiants new game)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Pyre is available today on Steam:
Supergiant Games - Pyre

Is anyone going to try it out? I'm kinda hesitant since I didn't really enjoy Transistor as much as I hoped, but loved Bastion.

Caliane

oh, totally missed this.

yeh, I was not very thrilled with Transistor. Corporate shill reviews on steam are all like 9.5-10.
I'll wait a bit.

art on this one seems a bit too "artsy". form over function.
ss_80bfecf418f7e8a63f9e1efddb85f5f565ff4291.1920x1080.jpg

Pretty and all. But the fuck am I looking at? and how do I play it. this is some sort of map screen.

Game is a grid based tactical I think? but the grid is not visible. atm, I am not sure if turn based, or action.

Their art team is great. but, Im starting to get the feeling all their games are putting art before ease of use. Everything is overdone.

• 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gameplay seems to be like a 3v3 basketball, but with various skills / attributes for your team, and its real-time. You need to take a "ball" to the other teams Pyre and "dunk" it to score points, first team the reduces their oppositions Pyre to 0HP wins.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Reviews seem to be looking good, but since each of Supergiant's games have been completely different so far, I think I'll wait.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm in the boat of loved Transistor but didn't enjoy the gameplay of Bastion that much, even though I would rank it super high on everything else, so this is still probably worth it to me even if I don't end up enjoying the mechanics that much. Will have to see though because I've been playing other stuff atm already.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
These guys do awesome shit, take risks and have amazing art/music/animations. Bought on PC and Steam! Only 17 bucks too, fucking steal.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tempting... it's at 85% on OpenCritic even after filtering out all the retards of gaming "journalism". I really liked both Bastion and Transistor, but this one didn't appeal to me after looking at the promo material.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
1 hour played, it is pretty cool. I need to put more time in but story is interesting/original as can be and I look forward to playing some more.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I did about 3 hours last night and I mean, it isn't bad but ummmnot really great. Maybe it is the store of presentation they went with for this. With the dialogue boxes, constant click through conversation, and the week little alien language blurps.

I don't know. Half the appeal of Bastion and Transistor was having things (the narrator, the sword) add flavor as you navigated the world. All the background detail and little touches. Different gameplay aside, those things are absent when you spend half the time looking at huge character portraits, clocking through dialogue, or starting at the inside of a caravan.

The world map you move around looks nice and has some of those "Supergiant" things, and there are brief cutscenes that do have good narration.

Maybe the game opens up a lot more. There are a lot of things to indicate it could get deeper, but after three hours the game should have you nabbed and wanting to go deeper. Just not feeling that.

The core gameplay of the Pure game at the start is like meh, but there are upgrades and one equipment slot to customize your team. And multiple members to choose from. Honestly not a whole lot to say about that part. You pick up the sphere and run it to the goal. It kind of reminds me of the old school dodgeball game on NES? Combined with another NES era 3v3 game I can't remember.

Going to put more time in this weekend. I want to finish it and keep giving it a chance, but can't imagine everyone will.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The trailer was so confusing, I couldn't even tell wtf I was watching. Loved bastion, liked some things in transistor. Probably won't try this one unless word of mouth is really good.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game was fucking great. I am sad that I didn't pick it up immediately.

The atmosphere, story, soundtrack and gameplay are all top notch. I know it looks like an odd premise and the game mechanics seem strange compared to Supergiant's previous outings, but once I gave it a real chance I ended up playing the hell out of it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I did about 3 hours last night and I mean, it isn't bad but ummmnot really great. Maybe it is the store of presentation they went with for this. With the dialogue boxes, constant click through conversation, and the week little alien language blurps.

I don't know. Half the appeal of Bastion and Transistor was having things (the narrator, the sword) add flavor as you navigated the world. All the background detail and little touches. Different gameplay aside, those things are absent when you spend half the time looking at huge character portraits, clocking through dialogue, or starting at the inside of a caravan.

The world map you move around looks nice and has some of those "Supergiant" things, and there are brief cutscenes that do have good narration.

Maybe the game opens up a lot more. There are a lot of things to indicate it could get deeper, but after three hours the game should have you nabbed and wanting to go deeper. Just not feeling that.

The core gameplay of the Pure game at the start is like meh, but there are upgrades and one equipment slot to customize your team. And multiple members to choose from. Honestly not a whole lot to say about that part. You pick up the sphere and run it to the goal. It kind of reminds me of the old school dodgeball game on NES? Combined with another NES era 3v3 game I can't remember.

Going to put more time in this weekend. I want to finish it and keep giving it a chance, but can't imagine everyone will.
This is basically how I feel after playing the first couple rounds of the game. I want to explore the beautiful world in a free form way that I did with bastion and transistor, but instead I'm locked into this dialogue/map exploration system that's interrupted by a basketball minigame.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is basically how I feel after playing the first couple rounds of the game. I want to explore the beautiful world in a free form way that I did with bastion and transistor, but instead I'm locked into this dialogue/map exploration system that's interrupted by a basketball minigame.

I think that for me this is actually why it worked. The story was more of a choose your own adventure sort of thing. This was propped up by being able to actually lose once you got to the final rites. As long as you don't reload when you lose, it genuinely feels like you have to make sacrifices. I preferred that it wasn't too open, as I typically find that daunting and monotonous.

If you risk having titans on, it gets especially tense later on.

I enjoy that not everything has to be a Diablo clone. We often box things in to genres we like and that we don't like and we lose our ability to enjoy something objectively unique. I think this game has some balls for actually trying to work off player psychology in a unique way.