question about vanilla Eq's night sounds

Goatface

anyone know anything about it?
is it just a stock file or something?
i hear it from time to time in new games. for me it is one of the most memorable things from Eq

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
is it just a stock file or something?
i hear it from time to time in new games. for me it is one of the most memorable things from Eq
Those sounds weren't limited to just night. They played at all times in some wilderness areas- I remember specifically BB Mnts.

And yeah, it's a very memorable/nostalgic sound. I've said for years that EQ's sounds- from the music, to combat sounds, spell sounds, environment sounds, etc, were a totally underrated part of what made EQ so immersive.

Also, I think that specific sound file must be a royalty-free stock sound file. Believe it or not, I heard that exact same sound file early on in the tv show Lost when they were trekking through the jungle. It was the EXACT same. I rewound it and turned it up just to make sure.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
Also, I think that specific sound file must be a royalty-free stock sound file. Believe it or not, I heard that exact same sound file early on in the tv show Lost when they were trekking through the jungle. It was the EXACT same. I rewound it and turned it up just to make sure.
Thank FUCK someone else heard this. I heard the same damn thing, and it was EQ's night sounds exactly. I'm an old audiophile and musician, and I did a lot of recording, mixing, etc. I have an ear for these things, and it was the same sound loop exactly. Fucking thank you, I haven't been able to find the exact scene again and it was one of those nagging little discrepancies I didn't care enough about to obsess on, but still wanted some confirmation.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I catch it from time to time. Maybe a sound engineer or something would know it. I know that there are a catalog of very popular stock sounds that sound engineers will reuse even to the point of it being an inside joke.

Perhaps the most notorious is the Wilhelm Scream.

Most Popular Titles - IMDb

Jait

Molten Core Raider
There are folks that know this stuff inside and out, it's fun to listen to them talk about it. Everyone knows the Wilhelm scream, the other I always think of is the "zapping" sound of electricity used in Lands of Lore for their lightning spell. It's used in every TV show and movie and is instantly recognizable to me.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Fun fact : the very peculiar EQ Ding! sound was used in Mario 3D Land on 3DS, where you unlock a new level. First time I heard it I was taken back 10 years
smile.png

As for recognizable sounds, I keep hearing sounds that were used in Goldeneye on N64 in movies and TV shows.. especially the generic metal door clanging shut, and even sometimes the very weird rocket launcher firing sound (Pshhheee!)

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I've heard the Doom zombie trooper activation and/or general growling sound in multiple movies/TV shows. Maybe imp stuff too, I can't remember.

kaxfenix

N00b
I always hear the stock Bear Sounds from Fighting killing Bears in WoW on various TV shows and such that have bears in it..

melancholie

Trakanon Raider
Am i not the only one that hears the EQ spell sound effect in the "Let It Go" song from Frozen?
I'm too lazy to look it up, but since i have a 3 year old daughter i've heard the song a mkillion times, and i hear the eq spell every bloody time

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Aw shit here we go. There really should be an EQ music bracket tournament here.

melancholie

Trakanon Raider
speaking of...
Way back in the day I was a volunteer for the line party premiere of the Return of the King in Chandler Arizona. One of the guys organizing it came up to me as we waited in line and introduced some blonde chick to me. She looked so familiar, to the point I asked if we had met before. Of course we hadn't, but it turned out she was the original model/inspiration for Firiona Vie on all the original box art. And yes, she looked exactly like her---- except without pointed ears, and some more meat on them bones.