Questions about Wii & Wii U.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, so now that the new Mario game is coming out, I've been debating about picking up a Wii U. I currently have a release day Wii. It only fits in my entertainment center (between my PS3 & 4) while standing vertically.

That said, I don't know the exact dimensions of the Wii U while standing vertical. I know that it's slightly angled so that the front top edge is higher than the rest of the console, but I need a dimension.
Nintendo-Wii-Dimensions.jpg

That said, I ALSO need a dimension of a Wii U also in it's vertical stand. Would any of you be able to quickly measure yours and let me know?
I'm not at home so I can't get the standard Wii dimensions myself, and I haven't seen anything online saying the vertical dimensions. Just that the stand is x tall and the console is y tall so x+y should be z. but the fact that it's standing with an angle completely throws that logic out of the question.

Thanks!

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's not as tall as the Wii, because it's not angled like the Wii. The stand itself is also not as tall, it's merely some little feet thingies you slide on.

TLDR - the Wii U vertically can fit in the same place a Wii does.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Has anyone found any good online deals for the Wii U? I am thinking of getting one as well, and debating on waiting for black friday.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm VERY interesting in the new Mario game, but at $300 for the console and 1 game I'm truly interested in playing.... tough proposition. And I read the $300 entry point is after a recent price drop. Ouch.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm really thinking of just hitting up Craigslist. That's how I got my PlayStation Vita. It was $170 for the console, 32gb memory card, a hard case and 2 games. (Need for Speed & Mortal Combat). I just had to drive into Philly and made a drug-deal style trade of cash for product.

I'll start "really" checking for Wii U sometime soon. As of now, the best I've seen for a used deluxe system is 220 range. It's a nice price, but no games games included. I'm sure something else will come around soon enough.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Does it work as a streaming device for Netflix, Hulu, etc? That would make me feel a little better about it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Does it work as a streaming device for Netflix, Hulu, etc? That would make me feel a little better about it.
You can get Netflix and Hulu on it, yes. I believe these channels are preloaded so it will work exactly like PS4: Just load up the app and log into your account. If they don't come pre installed you can download them in about 30 seconds for free from the eshop

Hulu how to here

Getting Started on the Nintendo Wii U | Support | Hulu

Netflix instructions here

How to Use Netflix on Wii U - Wii U Wiki Guide - IGN

I believe you could load that shit up on the tablet and watch it even with the TV on something else, just like you can play games on it without actually having the TV on.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yes, you basically boot the system up as a Wii U, then select to go to Wii Mode, it boots up the Wii mode, you can play all your wii games on it. My suggestion is that before you switch to Wii mode, you change over to 480i or p or whatever, though, otherwise the jaggies will cut your eyes lol.

(because they upscale the wii graphics to 1080p if you don't change the resolution basically, makes the games look really bad, change the resolution to a proper Wii resolution and the games look normal again)

How to Play Wii Games on the Wii U | Wii U - Wii Menu

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That it is. It'll play standard Wii games and also use the standard wii controllers. It might be only the newer versions of the standard wii controller though. The more accurate ones.

I don't care enough to check into that right now.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You can play most (all?) Wii games straight on the Gamepad as well.

Although I thought the 1080p upscaled version of Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story on the Wii U looked much better than the 480p on the Wii - although the textures still look terrible the resolution increase made the menus and text much clearer.

I plug headphones into the Gamepad and watch shit on Netflix all the time while other people are using the TV.

The Wii U Internet Browser is also categorized as an Apple browser so if a site has HTML5 streaming alternative to Flash you can watch them full screen through the browser. I watch Twitch.tv full screen on my TV all the time.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
From what I've read, transferring VC games over is a bit of a kluge. That's a shame.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I just picked up a Wind Waker bundle today for $300, and once the system is set up I'll add the new Mario game.

Maybe I'm getting old or Nintendo propaganda from my childhood is working on me, but as I watched the IGN review for Mario 3D and Rhyse back to back, I kept thinking Mario looked lik so much fun, and that decided it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
From what I've read, transferring VC games over is a bit of a kluge. That's a shame.
It's not that bad, just have to have both systems on wifi - took about 30 minutes to transfer once it got started.

They are slowly starting to centralize their Nintendo account systems (soon both 3DS and Wii U will use the same accounts and digital funds), which means its only a matter of time before your games are tied to your account and not your console.

Nintendo always has to do shit their way when it comes to online stuff, got to think of the children and all that.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe I'm getting old or Nintendo propaganda from my childhood is working on me, but as I watched the IGN review for Mario 3D and Rhyse back to back, I kept thinking Mario looked lik so much fun, and that decided it.
I've played every one of the "premier" Mario titles a shitload. Super Mario Bros 1 & 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. All of them were great. And still are, for that matter.

So I assume it's only a matter of time before I break down and buy the Wii U for Super Mario World 3D.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's not that bad, just have to have both systems on wifi - took about 30 minutes to transfer once it got started.

They are slowly starting to centralize their Nintendo account systems (soon both 3DS and Wii U will use the same accounts and digital funds), which means its only a matter of time before your games are tied to your account and not your console.

Nintendo always has to do shit their way when it comes to online stuff, got to think of the children and all that.
I read that post transfer, the VC games are only available in "Wii mode", and you have to pay again PER GAME to transfer them to "Wii U" mode. Ouch.

I hope they cut out the nickel and dime crap and tie them to an account as you suggest.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah they're behind the times on this area which is unfortunate. I'd love to recover My Life As A king and replay it again. I dunno why I loved that game as much as I did but I did.

I just picked up a Wind Waker bundle today for $300, and once the system is set up I'll add the new Mario game.

This is exactly what I've been experiencing lately. I dunno if its just nostalgia or what, but Nintendo has had a rough few years but they make really solid, FUN, games so its like time for all us old NES/SNES kids to come to their rescue.

I read that post transfer, the VC games are only available in "Wii mode", and you have to pay again PER GAME to transfer them to "Wii U" mode. Ouch.

I hope they cut out the nickel and dime crap and tie them to an account as you suggest.
Yeah that's dumb as shit but there's really no need to upgrade them to use on the Wii U, Wii mode is a button press away.

spronk

FPS noob
theres a local game cafe that lets you sit down and play wii u for like $10 all day, might hit that up sometime next year so I don't buy something I regret immediately after