Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Burns

Know of any Mods that add better graphics, etc? It's pretty old.
AFAIK, the Enhanced Edition included what was available, but it's mostly just widescreen and UI mods. There isn't too much they can do, since everything is 2d hand drawn art. Although, due to this, the infinity engine aged better than any other game engine that I know of.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Know of any Mods that add better graphics, etc? It's pretty old.
No I've actually never played it with any mods. I bought the EE (because - horder) but don't think I actually played it. Looking at Nexus I don't see a lot for it either. This is definitely a game where the story / characters overcome the clunky graphics. I mean, it wasn't a graphical tour de force when it was new.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm not gonna really get into anything until at least Sunday or Monday cause busy, but I did try NWN, Icewind, and Planescape out for a little bit yesterday. Figuring out what I want to play. Planescape is pretty awesome, the first conversation in the game reads like a quality novel. That's about all I did though.

20230510_033553.jpg

NWN is interesting cause it's so different from the other two. It looks like the intermediate step between BG and KOTOR and plays sort of like a single-player EQ. I think I might do this one next instead of Planescape cause it's so different. Not sure though. ID is definitely third in the running at the moment though. For NWN I was gonna go Rogue, but I ended up going Fighter (class up to Weapon Master specializing in either scythes or katanas). Trying to figure out the Package Customization or whatever to get that class-up set up. Game is a little unwieldy to play but I like the classes and feats and that pulled me in quickly. Working towards an upgrade class is something KOTOR also does. So yeah I'd say I'm 50/50 between this and PT for next game, we'll see.

20230510_020736.jpg

Icewind looks like it's basically BG2.75 and exactly like what I played recently. I like the snowy theme. Mostly just did character creation and had fun with that, nice to finally have a reason to make an entire party from scratch in one of these games. Also I made this hottie.

One of my characters is a Bard and I think I might change that to Shaman or something else and restart (can import all the others). Thoughts?

20230510_020751.jpg

Rockerton - Fighter (Wanted to do this after BG)
Mario - Assassin (seems like the best variety of Rogue)
Templeton - Dorf Cleric (changed his portrait after this)
Catbird - Bard (think I might change this guy's class to Shaman since I haven't had one of those, see above. Are Bards good?)
Oasis - Monk (I really wanted a monk cause I never had one in BG)
Stella - Sorcerer (only made a second lady so the first would have someone to have sex with, cause these dudes aren't gonna cut it)

Kharzette Kharzette I feel like you'd enjoy these names

Burns

Catbird - Bard (think I might change this guy's class to Shaman since I haven't had one of those, see above. Are Bards good?)
Oasis - Monk (I really wanted a monk cause I never had one in BG)
A lot of people love bards. While they don't do a lot of damage on their own, they usually have the best, or one of the best party buffs in the game. My main issue with them is that I usually run out of song charges before my mage/cleric/druid needs to rest. They can cast some spells though, so are able to help out in that department too.

I vaguely recall using a monk in a BG2 playthrough or TOEE, but I don't think they are rated very highly in 3.5(?).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah

After several delays, Nightdive Studios has now confirmed that System Shock has gone gold

Looks like it's PC only at this point but better than nothing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
joke would be better if it weren't an Anheuser product.

I didn't even think about that connection TBH. I'm probably one of the few people on here who doesn't actually give a fuck about Dylan Mulvaney or the "controversy". It reminds me of all the shit the woke people fly off the handle about and demand apologies over. Anheiser changing their ad campaign and hiring conservative think tanks to advise them reminds me a lot of when corporations cave to The Woke and go on the apology tour while hiring diversity consultants to "be better". It's pretty much the same stuff in reverse. Since it's happened so many times in the other direction I can't say I'm bothered by it being like this for once, but it's still dumb and not something that's worth spending any real time thinking about.

A lot of people love bards. While they don't do a lot of damage on their own, they usually have the best, or one of the best party buffs in the game. My main issue with them is that I usually run out of song charges before my mage/cleric/druid needs to rest. They can cast some spells though, so are able to help out in that department too.

I vaguely recall using a monk in a BG2 playthrough or TOEE, but I don't think they are rated very highly in 3.5(?).

I'll just keep him a bard then. I chose Longsword as a specialization and then realized after I started that I wanted him to use Scimitars and it immediately started bugging my OCD. Not gonna restart and do all that again just to change his spec to Scimitar. That's part of why I considered re-making him though. I'll just get a Scimitar spec whenever he levels up a bit. Like I said though I'll prolly play this one last. I think I'll do a bit more with NWN and PT before I decide which to go with.

Rajaah Rajaah

After several delays, Nightdive Studios has now confirmed that System Shock has gone gold

Looks like it's PC only at this point but better than nothing.

Bleh, so we went from March PS5 to May PS5 to no PS5, possibly. Lame AF. We'll see. Will be very pleasantly surprised if they drop a PS5 version outta nowhere in early June. Also got Front Mission 2 Remake (first time that game is in English) around the same timeframe so it's gonna be a busy month.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's this Neverwinter game on PS5? It's free for PS Plus I think, has Drizzt on the front cover image. Looks like it has a very WoW-like interface.

Burns

What's this Neverwinter game on PS5? It's free for PS Plus I think, has Drizzt on the front cover image. Looks like it has a very WoW-like interface.
Looks like it's part of the Free to Play MMO fad of the early 2010s. Their may be a lot of pay to win in it. I doubt it uses any DnD rules and is probably a generic MMO with DnD lore pasted over it.

It kinda looks like the F2P DnD licensed MMO game I played for maybe 10 hours, a long time ago, but I forget if it's the same one, or if there was another.

Also found this in a post asking if the game was dead on PS5, which is kinda funny:
2023-05-11 18.02.03 www.reddit.com 8f754901c107.png

Caliane

the mmo. from cryptic.

still active yeah. the menzoberranzan expac with drizzt just came out in march.

It was ok. An instance/zone mmo. a billion currencies.

shit. wait. are we adding Dungeons and dragons online to the list?

Burns

I would hope not, as those MMOs have nothing in common with any of these other games, outside of some DnD lore.

Also, DDO was the game I played, when it was released years ago, not Neverwinter. Vaguely remember that it was mostly a bore and maybe had the annoying, log-on everyday, F2P mechanics.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Turbine actually vastly improved DDO when they switched to the F2P model. It was a decent enough game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
the mmo. from cryptic.

still active yeah. the menzoberranzan expac with drizzt just came out in march.

It was ok. An instance/zone mmo. a billion currencies.

Naw no way. I downloaded this cause it was free and I'm gonna probably delete it without playing it. Kind of figured it was a generic MMO, was hoping it was some new D&D game I hadn't heard of. I'll stick to the normal D&D games.

• 1Like

Burns

Posted some of his videos in the video thread too. Tim Cain, lead Developer on a bunch of the games being played here is semi-retiring, so, since he was rounding up all his old notes, he started a video series on various games he worked on.

Here is one on how they decided to make Fallout characters with 3 Int have different dialog:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Finished BGI & SoD , staring BGII tonight. I had to rebuild my database and reinstall games as the game hard crashes every 1-2 hours, usually during one of the scripted scenes. Thought playing on a console was supposed to avoid that garbage but guess not. Hopefully that did the trick as I did the reinstall last night.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've been at a bit of a standstill with these. Couldn't decide between the 3 "next" games on the list, played some of each of them, still couldn't decide. So instead I've been doing RL stuff. Paralysis by Analysis, as Joe Rogan would say. Neverwinter Nights is probably in the lead because I found its character-build system the most interesting. Nothing wrong with focusing on RL though, provided the CRPG Crusade doesn't just totally fall off. I'll see what I can do.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Started Throne of Bhall today. This was my favorite part of the 2 PC games. I do have to say though I have almost given up multiple times due to the fact that this fucking game cannot go more than 2 hours without crashing. I don't know what evil curse this software put on my PS5 but nothing I do fixes it. At least it's almost over.
None of the other 10 or so games gave me a bit of trouble. Weird as all get out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Started Throne of Bhall today. This was my favorite part of the 2 PC games. I do have to say though I have almost given up multiple times due to the fact that this fucking game cannot go more than 2 hours without crashing. I don't know what evil curse this software put on my PS5 but nothing I do fixes it. At least it's almost over.
None of the other 10 or so games gave me a bit of trouble. Weird as all get out.

That's rough. You playing another CRPG after this?

I'm doing a Ghost of Tsushima backlog swing and then probably another CRPG after that.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That's rough. You playing another CRPG after this?

I'm doing a Ghost of Tsushima backlog swing and then probably another CRPG after that.
I have tale of two wastelands (Fallout 3 & New Vegas combined) lined up to do next. Assuming I don't change my mind .....again. lol