Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
KOTOR 2 is a different story though. I really want to have access to restored content and I don't know if this version has any of that, ao I might need to go PC for that.

It doesn't. The fan patch uses unfinished assets that were left on the discs of the original release. There has been no official release of that content.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Playing anything on a small screened Switch, when you have a big screened PC sounds like someone used to terrible life choices. PC Master race, and all that.

Being that the KOTOR2 resto mod is fan made, the chance that any console has it included are slim to none. There is also a restoration mod for KOTOR1, but not nearly as much was cut from it. The publisher made Obsidian push KOTOR2 out the door, so a large portion of the final chapter was rushed and at least one whole planet was cut.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doing Pillars 1 right now. Love how simple, fun, RPG this is. Truly feels like a spiritual successor to BG, with a tad less interesting story. However I am getting pulled into the lore and find myself enjoying it quite a bit.

Pillars 2 is next

Followed by the pathfinder games

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
For BG2 classes if you haven't chosen yet:

If you're keeping your paladin and get offered a kit, I would recommend undead slayer to make you immune to energy drain from undead. Makes all the vampires and shadows much easier to deal with.

Ranger/cleric: you can only use blunt weapons, but there's a bug where R/C gets Druid spells instead of Cleric spells in this multiclass. What does this mean? You are a dual wielding beatstick with spells like Iron Skin, Insect Plague, and some other good utility spells. (Insect plague / creeping doom isn't stopped by most protection spells: it will literally do damage to many wizards and constantly interrupt their spellcasting).

Fighter/Mage (multi or dual class kensai): Best melee class in the game. Also one of the most fun. Multi class is a better beatstick, dual class is a better caster but they're both good. Just fill up your 4th level slots with stoneskin and 2nd level slots with mirror image and you're unkillable in melee.

Bounty Hunter: if you like rest abuse this is a great class for the lulz. You can lay down traps on certain points before enemies spawn on scripted events. As soon as they spawn they get hit by 5 traps, take a bunch of damage and die instantly. I think they fixed it in EE where you can only do 5 traps at a time though, not sure.

Wild Mage: yeah you have Neera, but before her this really spiced up a game.

Any thief combo is hilarious once you get boots of speed against enemies that can't see stealth. Backstab, run away, stealth. Rinse and repeat.

Oddball but fun combos are Cleric/thief, mage/thief, fighter/mage/thief (Swiss army knife). Mage/Cleric if you don't like Aerie. Archers were Gods in BG1 but not as much in BG2.

I would recommend the first 3 because the gap between a main character melee class and the recruitable melee NPC's is a lot wider than a caster protagonist and recruitment casters. R/C and F/M offer great versatility too.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Playing anything on a small screened Switch, when you have a big screened PC sounds like someone used to terrible life choices. PC Master race, and all that.

Being that the KOTOR2 resto mod is fan made, the chance that any console has it included are slim to none. There is also a restoration mod for KOTOR1, but not nearly as much was cut from it. The publisher made Obsidian push KOTOR2 out the door, so a large portion of the final chapter was rushed and at least one whole planet was cut.

Switch can be played on a TV in docked mode. I'd most certainly play it that way rather than handheld, which is more for on the go situations where a TV isn't a possibility. Also all I use at home are laptops, so the Switch actually IS the big screen in this situation.

One of these years I'll put together a high-powered desktop, probably the same time that I put together a Bitcoin-mining monstrosity for hobby-farming. In the meantime laptops are much more convenient considering how often I'm out and traveling.

I think Switch really is my best bet for KOTOR 1 and PC for KOTOR 2. Too bad I won't get any use out of these original XBox copies I've got (which I clearly held onto for a reason), but it's really hard to go back to that particular era of graphics now. I don't know what it is, but PS2/XBox era looks totally shite to me now on a modern TV. It's that early 3D, 2001-2007 era, that is very difficult to actually play now unless you like your graphics dark, brown, and pixellated.

Doing Pillars 1 right now. Love how simple, fun, RPG this is. Truly feels like a spiritual successor to BG, with a tad less interesting story. However I am getting pulled into the lore and find myself enjoying it quite a bit.

Pillars 2 is next

Followed by the pathfinder games

Pillars 1 is pretty smooth for sure. That's gonna be the first game of "Phase 2" of this crusade, since there's a decade-ish time jump between the first half (which ends with NWN and KOTOR) and the second half.

For BG2 classes if you haven't chosen yet:

If you're keeping your paladin and get offered a kit, I would recommend undead slayer to make you immune to energy drain from undead. Makes all the vampires and shadows much easier to deal with.

Bounty Hunter: if you like rest abuse this is a great class for the lulz. You can lay down traps on certain points before enemies spawn on scripted events. As soon as they spawn they get hit by 5 traps, take a bunch of damage and die instantly. I think they fixed it in EE where you can only do 5 traps at a time though, not sure.

Yeah, keeping Paladin and porting it over after SoD.

That trap class sounds like a ton of fun. One of the reasons the original Bioshock is my favorite FPS of all time (narrowly edging out Metroid Prime) is because of all of the traps you can make use of. Bioshock 2 carries that over and gives you even more reason to tool around with them, since it has those otherwise-annoying horde mode rooms where you have to defend a point. I had a ball going around and booby-trapping rooms, then watching the enemies get obliterated as they walked right into all of the traps.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
That trap class sounds like a ton of fun. One of the reasons the original Bioshock is my favorite FPS of all time (narrowly edging out Metroid Prime) is because of all of the traps you can make use of. Bioshock 2 carries that over and gives you even more reason to tool around with them, since it has those otherwise-annoying horde mode rooms where you have to defend a point. I had a ball going around and booby-trapping rooms, then watching the enemies get obliterated as they walked right into all of the traps.
You'll want to play a rogue in NWN1. You could recover traps. Every boss fight was me putting down a dozen traps in a hallway and having them chase me to their death.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You'll want to play a rogue in NWN1. You could recover traps. Every boss fight was me putting down a dozen traps in a hallway and having them chase me to their death.

That's cool, I have no Rogue plans so I'll do that in NWN. Like how I have no Cleric plans so I'll do that in TOEE. Planning classes for all of these games in advance would be kind of silly, but it's alright if I do it for a couple of them. Likely to default to a tank or caster for most of the rest anyway. Also planning to go Monk in PoE, subject to change of course. Just liked Monk in that one.

A few dumb questions:

-NWN2 and ID2 never got an enhanced edition did they?

-Where should Fallout Tactics fall in relation to FO1 and 2: Before them? After them? Between them? I'll likely get to it much later since it's one of the more optional things on the list, unless there's a chronological reason to play it between them or something.

-Is Wasteland 1 a thing? I added Wasteland 2 and 3 to the "optional" last third of the list and I'm updating the first post. If Wasteland 1 is olde and archaic I'm fine with leaving it off cause I already have too much.

Caliane

That's cool, I have no Rogue plans so I'll do that in NWN. Like how I have no Cleric plans so I'll do that in TOEE. Planning classes for all of these games in advance would be kind of silly, but it's alright if I do it for a couple of them. Likely to default to a tank or caster for most of the rest anyway. Also planning to go Monk in PoE, subject to change of course. Just liked Monk in that one.

A few dumb questions:

-Where should Fallout Tactics fall in relation to FO1 and 2: Before them? After them? Between them? I'll likely get to it much later since it's one of the more optional things on the list, unless there's a chronological reason to play it between them or something.

-Is Wasteland 1 a thing? I added Wasteland 2 and 3 to the "optional" last third of the list and I'm updating the first post. If Wasteland 1 is olde and archaic I'm fine with leaving it off cause I already have too much.
yeah. wasteland was 1988. haha there is a wasteland remastered though.
dont know anything about it though.

Wasteland was the precurser to Fallout.
"The ideas of the Fallout series began with Interplay Productions' Wasteland, released in 1988. At that time, Interplay was not a publisher and used Electronic Arts for distribution of the game. According to Interplay's founder, Brian Fargo, they wanted to explore a post-apocalyptic setting and created Wasteland for that. Sometime after release, Interplay decided to shift focus and become a publisher while still developing games. Fargo wanted to continue to use the Wasteland intellectual property but could not negotiate the rights back from Electronic Arts."

but then..
"In 2003, inXile Entertainment, founded by Wasteland's producer and co-designer, Brian Fargo, acquired the rights to Wasteland from Electronic Arts, which had let the rights lapse and handed them to Fargo after a discussion with him.[10][11][12] In June 2007, Fargo stated: "I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned..."[13][14] In November 2007, Fallout fan website Duck and Cover reported on possible concept art images from Wasteland 2 displayed in the main header of the inXile Entertainment website.[15]"

• 2Like

Burns

A few dumb questions:

FO: Tactics isn't an RPG, and has no relation to the Fallout 2 story. It doesn't really matter when you play it. If you are already familiar with the FO universe, there wont be much in terms of spoilers. Again, for a turn based tactics game, it is inferior to Jagged Alliance 2 (if you had to choose just 1 to play). JA2 is the best game of it's kind, and only $4 (w/ recommended MOD for modern systems).

No EE for NWN2 or ID2, but there should be mods that do the same things.
I would assume that Beamdog is trying to get the rights to do a EE of NWN2, but it's probably complicated by the fact that the xpacs were made by Obsidian and the base game was made by Bioware. The Obsidian parts were far better than the Bioware campaign, so it would be silly for them to just do the Bioware portion.

As for Wasteland 1, I never played it, and it didn't feel necessary to the story of Wasteland 2. That Wasteland 1 remaster might be ok to play, but the original has some very antiquated graphics that go with a group of much older style games than what you are playing now. If you wanted to jump even further back in time, there is a whole different group of games to go with it, like Ultima 6/7, a bunch of the Gold Box games, some blobbers like Wizardry 6-8, etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
As for Wasteland 1, I never played it, and it didn't feel necessary to the story of Wasteland 2. That Wasteland 1 remaster might be ok to play, but the original has some very antiquated graphics that go with a group of much older style games than what you are playing now. If you wanted to jump even further back in time, there is a whole different group of games to go with it, like Ultima 6/7, a bunch of the Gold Box games, some blobbers like Wizardry 6-8, etc.

Technically wasteland 2 was shock full of references and throwbacks to wasteland 1, the whole story was built on the original main campaign. it's like playing baldur's gate 2 without playing baldur's gate 1. but wasteland 1 is really dated and an absolute pain to play through, so in this case I would just take the loss on backstory and skip it.

• 1Like

Burns

Technically wasteland 2 was shock full of references and throwbacks to wasteland 1, the whole story was built on the original main campaign. it's like playing baldur's gate 2 without playing baldur's gate 1. but wasteland 1 is really dated and an absolute pain to play through, so in this case I would just take the loss on backstory and skip it.
Funny. I also played BG2 when it came out, w/o playing BG1 (saving up money from summer jobs only goes so far), and absolutely loved it. As a result, I still find BG2 a far superior game to BG1. FO2 is in the exact same boat.

Humm...now that I think about it, Two Towers is also my favorite LOTR movie....maybe there is something about twos...

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Funny. I also played BG2 when it came out, w/o playing BG1 (saving up money from summer jobs only goes so far), and absolutely loved it. As a result, I still find BG2 a far superior game to BG1. FO2 is in the exact same boat.

Humm...now that I think about it, Two Towers is also my favorite LOTR movie....maybe there is something about twos...

I think most people, myself included, agree BG2 is superior to BG1 even though we played BG1 first, since it is basically BG1 but bigger, same type of graphics but crisper, same ruleset but crisper etc.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

CRPG Crusade #4 - The Ultima and Wizardry serieses. Coming in 2028!

But seriously, I'd love to, but it's pretty unlikely I'll ever get to play those. Always really liked Ultima in particular as a kid. Ultima IV got a great and highly-underrated NES port (that I'd put next to some of the Dragon Quests) and messing around with that a bit on emulator was the closest I got to getting to play that series. At this point I think they're way beyond antiquated though.

The earliest game in this CRPG Crusade is from like 1997, so going back to the 80's for Wasteland 1 is indeed a hard-sell even if it does have enhanced graphics. I'll have to make that call if I get that far.

Impression I get is that most people regard FO2 and BG2 as significant improvements. This happens a lot. Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted 2, Mega Man 2. Takes what made the original a hit and just...does more of that, only more refined.

Part of me misses having to save up to buy games. It felt like such an achievement to finally be able to buy Chrono Trigger, or Final Fantasy VII, after working hard and saving. Took me two months to get FFVII from the time it released, and it was probably all I thought about all the time. Nowadays I just go on Ebay and buy Temple of Elemental Evil and Fallout Trilogy and, yeah, it's fun to click a button and it's fun to get the games later, but it doesn't make me FEEL the way looking at the FFVII instruction booklet for the first time did. Just because it took so damn long. At the time it was hell, but now I look back and appreciate that anything could get me that excited that I'd willingly go mow lawns every weekend just to eventually maybe get to finally pop the game in.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can get KOTOR2 on steam now and just install the restoration mod etc through workshop. I don't personally think it needs any sort of HD graphics update, it's obviously dated but I never found it a bad looking game even on recent playthroughs, it's got a clean look to it that holds up well. It's a game you'll probably want to play through a second time at some point since (much like BG2) the class you pick, which companions you take along and which choices you make in various quests will change the experience and you can't see it all in one run. Even picking a male or female main character locks out certain companions and storylines.

1679208838704.png

• 2Like

Burns

You can get KOTOR2 on steam now and just install the restoration mod etc through workshop. I don't personally think it needs any sort of HD graphics update, it's obviously dated but I never found it a bad looking game even on recent playthroughs, it's got a clean look to it that holds up well. It's a game you'll probably want to play through a second time at some point since (much like BG2) the class you pick, which companions you take along and which choices you make in various quests will change the experience and you can't see it all in one run. Even picking a male or female main character locks out certain companions and storylines.

View attachment 464313
On one hand, I hate spending hours on figuring out mod lists to get the experience I want, but on the other...look at all the pretties! Better lightsaber colors? YES PLEASE! HD Visas? YES PLEASE! Higher poly Ebon Hawk? YES PLEASE! HQ space skybox? YES PLEASE!

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 464313

Jebus. With all these mods, maybe I should just play KOTOR1 on the PC rather than Switch. Like I said though, Switch = bigger screen at home, and portability. Does that offset mods that I may or may not use? I don't know, but I also don't need to worry about this for a while.

I never did a Renegade playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, or tried the other classes I wanted to try like Biotic (Edit: I think I mean Adept). My run at those games was all Paragon, all Vanguard. There's probably a greater-than-zero chance I'll drop them in this Crusade after I finish the KOTORs and finally do that replay. They're not CRPGs though, not really, and I gotta be careful not to let the CRPG Crusade get too loaded with non-CRPGs.

Finally made some more Siege of Dragonspear progress tonight while staying up late and posting on here. It's super linear compared to the main game, if anyone's wondering what it's like. Very different from the old Baldurs. I actually had it glitch out at one point when that officer chick you walk around with just walked into a wall and stayed there, and it wouldn't let me leave the area without her. Luckily loading a save fixed it. Still surprised to see a glitch in 4 hours of SoD when I didn't see one in 20-25 hours of BG1.

I think I'm about a third of the way through the story. The villain's name is Argent...and she leads a Crusade? Somebody was playing WOTLK before they made this. Unless she pre-dates SoD, in which case somebody at WoW was playing Baldur before they made WOTLK.

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jebus. With all these mods, maybe I should just play KOTOR1 on the PC rather than Switch. Like I said though, Switch = bigger screen at home, and portability. Does that offset mods that I may or may not use? I don't know, but I also don't need to worry about this for a while.

I never did a Renegade playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, or tried the other classes I wanted to try like Biotic. My run at those games was all Paragon, all Vanguard. There's probably a greater-than-zero chance I'll drop them in this Crusade after I finish the KOTORs and finally do that replay. They're not CRPGs though, not really, and I gotta be careful not to let the CRPG Crusade get too loaded with non-CRPGs.

Finally made some more Siege of Dragonspear progress tonight while staying up late and posting on here. It's super linear compared to the main game, if anyone's wondering what it's like. Very different from the old Baldurs. I actually had it glitch out at one point when that officer chick you walk around with just walked into a wall and stayed there, and it wouldn't let me leave the area without her. Luckily loading a save fixed it. Still surprised to see a glitch in 4 hours of SoD when I didn't see one in 20-25 hours of BG1.

I think I'm about a third of the way through the story. The villain's name is Argent...and she leads a Crusade? Somebody was playing WOTLK before they made this. Unless she pre-dates SoD, in which case somebody at WoW was playing Baldur before they made WOTLK.

KOTOR1 doesn't have a steam workshop, I also don't think it needs any mods aside from tweaking to run on modern PCs. I think the GoG version is playable as is. If it runs well on the Switch I'd just keep going, you're probably better off just playing rather than messing with mods and inadvertently bumping into story spoilers.

For KOTOR2 just get TSLRCM and the Widescreen UI fix and you're really good to go, those are the only things I'd consider mandatory. The base game has a bunch of holes in it because it was pushed out the door early, the mod fixes that as well as a ton of minor stuff. It's akin to the unofficial patches for Elder Scrolls titles, basically essential fixes that should have been in the game at release.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't read the thread, but if you are going to play CRPG's you have to play Pathfinder Kingmaker (and probably the second one, Wrath of the Righteous). Easily the best CRPG I've ever played.

Burns

KOTOR1 doesn't have a steam workshop, I also don't think it needs any mods aside from tweaking to run on modern PCs. I think the GoG version is playable as is. If it runs well on the Switch I'd just keep going, you're probably better off just playing rather than messing with mods and inadvertently bumping into story spoilers.

For KOTOR2 just get TSLRCM and the Widescreen UI fix and you're really good to go, those are the only things I'd consider mandatory. The base game has a bunch of holes in it because it was pushed out the door early, the mod fixes that as well as a ton of minor stuff. It's akin to the unofficial patches for Elder Scrolls titles, basically essential fixes that should have been in the game at release.
The reddit peoples made a non-spoiler mod list. I haven't looked it all over, but you would think people so passionate about the game would get it right.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You inspired me to scratch the itch, which I am doing with Original Sin 2 on a Lone Wolf build. I definitely was ignorant of a lot of shit last time I played this game.

• 1Like