Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
heads up looks like Steam has a big sale on RPG's that look right up your alley. Lots of the old gold box games as well. If you try one of those keep in mind that QOL was not part of the code and get some graph paper.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1680075563549.png

Started Fallout 1 Regime Regime

1680075541903.png

Here's the dude I made for this one. Lowest int possible and based around fighting at melee range. Taking Small Guns would help out early on but probably not later, if this is like FO3/NV were for me. I'll be fine as soon as I can get a sledge. Wish I coulda maxed out Perception and Agility though.

1680075772431.png

My super-dumb brute of a character is just kinda lumbering around fighting things with a knife. Got like a third of the way to level 2 in a few minutes just walking around beating things up, so the leveling is waaaay faster than Baldur so far.

It seems like the action auto-pauses after every attack? And won't let me attack again until I accumulate AP, but with the action paused it just sits there until I move away and then towards the enemy to regain a few AP. I feel like I must be doing this wrong cause it's unwieldy AF.

My time off has officially begun so I'm gearing up for a big CRPG plow day, either this or BG2, probably on Friday.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
heads up looks like Steam has a big sale on RPG's that look right up your alley. Lots of the old gold box games as well. If you try one of those keep in mind that QOL was not part of the code and get some graph paper.

Speaking of gold box games... I recognize this:

1680076549988.png

This picture was on the cover of a Choose Your Own Adventure book I have somewhere. It was the first one I got as a kid and I was hugely into it. Another thing that helped get me into RPGs, along with the Keep on the Borderlands module.

Man, I gotta find all this old stuff now that I'm remembering all of it. I can't remember what the name of this particular book was, just that it had a hell of a cover.

In other news, it looks like I might have to drop TOEE from the list. It took ages to install (two CDs) and when it was finally done installing there was this little error message that it couldn't find something, then it said installation done, then it... was nowhere to be found on the computer. It's too late to install it again, was up late already tooling around with all these things. I'll try one more time tomorrow, but if it's still not installing right I'm just going to bump it from the list. Was a late addition that I wasn't sure of anyway.

Fallout Trilogy (DVD) had zero issues installing and working on the latest Windows (seems like you don't even need to have the disc to play the game anymore once it installs...is that normal? If so, that's nice, I can pass it around and install it on a bunch of other computers if I want).

Also in Baldur II news, I finally got around to pickpocketing that merchant in the first town. Got the ring, can't wait to see what it is. Left off with it telling me to do odd jobs for people to make the 20k for that informant guy.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
View attachment 466394

View attachment 466393
Here's the dude I made for this one. Lowest int possible and based around fighting at melee range. Taking Small Guns would help out early on but probably not later, if this is like FO3/NV were for me. I'll be fine as soon as I can get a sledge. Wish I coulda maxed out Perception and Agility though.

View attachment 466395
My super-dumb brute of a character is just kinda lumbering around fighting things with a knife. Got like a third of the way to level 2 in a few minutes just walking around beating things up, so the leveling is waaaay faster than Baldur so far.

It seems like the action auto-pauses after every attack? And won't let me attack again until I accumulate AP, but with the action paused it just sits there until I move away and then towards the enemy to regain a few AP. I feel like I must be doing this wrong cause it's unwieldy AF.

My time off has officially begun so I'm gearing up for a big CRPG plow day, either this or BG2, probably on Friday.

Moving and attacking both use AP, when you don't have enough AP to attack, you can manually end your turn instead of using movement to burn the rest of the Ap. The button at the bottom right that says turn/combat is how you manually end a turn.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am nearing act 3 in my DOS2 run. It's been really easy now that I hit a powerspike and got lucky with a few key items giving me immense amounts of damage.

I do dislike the source point system now though. I either have to go back to a place with infinite source to replenish my points which is just tedious or focus my fights around source draining now that I have the ability for it. Arcane Archer/Assassin is by far the strongest build in this game though. My previous playthrough was not even close.

A purely physical damage character but by using the crafting system to make arrows constantly and stealing a few barrels of poison ooze, water, and oil that I park at a waypoint I just keep crafting poison/explosion/water arrows that cost me nothing. This is further compounded by these magical arrows scaling off of Dexterity rather than the actual Arcane Archer talents they want you to use where you just summon environmental elemental arrows. So I have a character with like 75% crit rating who does both magical and physical damage at the same time. I loaded him up on movement skills and stealth so I just plop around the battlefield dropping cruise missiles on everyone... its great!

I did miss a fuckton of quests in this when I played years ago. Game 2 on my own CRPG log is going to be Divinity Original Sin 1 which I never completed.

This playthrough has moved up DOS2 considerably on my CRPG tier list. Along with Baldur's Gate Original Sin 2 is also an S-Tier title.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 466394

View attachment 466393

View attachment 466395

I've never done a 1 INT build run, as it is opposite of my playstyle of the sniper/medic/scientist/mechanic that can open all the doors, hack all the things, fix all the parts, and get all the upgrades (mostly). I wonder how much stuff you miss with that low of an INT. It always looked like what we would call a meme build, these days; funny for a while but you end up missing a bunch of stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You're never meant to do it as a first playthrough it was always an lol run for the absolutely hilarious dialog that goes along with it. NWN, FO3 and New Vegas (with mods) also allow for this.

Also sortof a relic of a bygone era because most studios simply wont spend the dev time to setup something like that anymore.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 466394

View attachment 466393

View attachment 466395

I am going to play Fallout 2 after I get through Original Sin I. Can't even remember what I ran when I last played it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You're never meant to do it as a first playthrough it was always an lol run for the absolutely hilarious dialog that goes along with it. NWN, FO3 and New Vegas (with mods) also allow for this.

Also sortof a relic of a bygone era because most studios simply wont spend the dev time to setup something like that anymore.

Yeah, I'm doing it because it's possible and it's so rare to see things like this in modern games. In FO2 I'll play a regular scientist-type character who can do all the things.

I vaguely recall Cania being pretty large in NWN.

Cania the 8th layer is the most interesting part of D&D Hell to me. Partly because Mephisto is the most interesting archduke and I always thought he needed to overthrow Asmodeus and become The Guy. Also because it has, IIRC, both extreme cold and extreme heat climates.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230329_112233.jpg

Lot of red going on here.

Also a lot of cat hair, god damn

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1680129064786.png

Got Temple of Elemental Evil working on the second try at installing. This game is super nice-looking and has great music, glad I didn't give up on it. Back on the list!

Unfortunately, Fallout Tactics won't install correctly, so it's off the list. It was a "maybe" as it is. FO1 and 2 both work which is what matters.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FALLOUT 1 TIME

-Started out with the above stats. My character doesn't seem to be able to say anything besides guttural noises. Hilarious so far. Thinking about doing a murderhobo run since my character can't communicate with anybody anyway.

-Have no goddamn clue what to do so I ran around grinding mobs trying to get to level 2.

-Decided to follow this post-it note and look for a water control filter chip or whatever it is. Have no idea where to go though.

-THIS is the game I should have bought a guidebook for.

-Stumbled upon a second Vault, as the only other highlighted overworld area. Can't get too far without Rope, though.

-So I guess my mission now is to find Rope?

-Man, this could go on for ages. Luckily, I saw a video about this game once where the guy had the same issue. And somehow managed to find it:

-Rope. Rats. Rope. Rats. That's been the game so far.

-Finally gave up and checked a walkthrough. Looks like I don't even need to be in this vault. The game really does point you in that direction though. I guess the "main story" does involve going here, not finding the chip, and continuing on from there. As in you get like half a level for doing it, so I might as well. Now I just need to make some money to buy two ropes.

-Baldur's Gate is easy to get into even now in 2023. Fallout 1, though? Ehhhh. Seems like every task is more complicated than it needs to be. For example, target an enemy and attack. Baldur would run you up to the enemy and start attacking. Not Fallout! It'll say too far away, so you gotta click and move over to the enemy first. Then it still says too far away! So you gotta click again and get right up on the enemy, then try attacking again. It feels so unnecessary.

-I'll take any mod suggestions on how to better-ify Fallout 1. Want to keep it simple though. Maybe just a couple things to make it play more like Baldur.

-Think I've got a pretty good handle on the game now, gonna start over and keep a few points of int because the lack of dialogue is more boring than funny.

-One important note, I think maybe I'm selling wrong. I sold my handgun and all bullets (since I'm going full melee here) but I don't see my money count anywhere on any of my character screens. Is this a situation where I have to actually trade things for bottle caps in order to get any currency? I.e. when I traded the gun and bullets for "$450" and hit trade with nothing else in the window, it just disappeared into a void? If so, ouch. Well, starting over either way.

-According to HLTB this game isn't too long. Half the length of Fallout 2. I'm gonna go ahead and try to knock it off quickly because I think we've crossed the threshold of "too antiquated" for me.

1680154176915.png

New character stats. Not gonna do melee weapons after all, due to aforementioned running up to enemies. I really murdered most of the attributes just to make sure I had maxed Perception and Endurance.

One Hander looks good for an optional trait, but I'm not sure how many of the good weapons are two-handed or how much of a penalty it gives to those. Since everything has a downside, I think I'll just take Fast Shot and nothing else.

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
FALLOUT 1 TIME

-Started out with the above stats. My character doesn't seem to be able to say anything besides guttural noises. Hilarious so far. Thinking about doing a murderhobo run since my character can't communicate with anybody anyway.

-Have no goddamn clue what to do so I ran around grinding mobs trying to get to level 2.

-Decided to follow this post-it note and look for a water control filter chip or whatever it is. Have no idea where to go though.

-Stumbled upon a second Vault, as the only other highlighted overworld area. Can't get too far without Rope, though.

-Man, this could go on for ages. Luckily, I saw a video about this game once where the guy had the same issue. And somehow managed to find it:

-Finally gave up and checked a walkthrough. Looks like I don't even need to be in this vault. The game really does point you in that direction though. I guess the "main story" does involve going here, not finding the chip, and continuing on from there. As in you get like half a level for doing it, so I might as well. Now I just need to make some money to buy two ropes.

-Baldur's Gate is easy to get into even now in 2023. Fallout 1, though? Ehhhh. Seems like every task is more complicated than it needs to be. For example, target an enemy and attack. Baldur would run you up to the enemy and start attacking. Not Fallout! It'll say too far away, so you gotta click and move over to the enemy first. Then it still says too far away! So you gotta click again and get right up on the enemy, then try attacking again. It feels so unnecessary.

-I'll take any mod suggestions on how to better-ify Fallout 1. Want to keep it simple though. Maybe just a couple things to make it play more like Baldur.

-Think I've got a pretty good handle on the game now, gonna start over and keep a few points of int because the lack of dialogue is more boring than funny.

-One important note, I think maybe I'm selling wrong. I sold my handgun and all bullets (since I'm going full melee here) but I don't see my money count anywhere on any of my character screens. Is this a situation where I have to actually trade things for bottle caps in order to get any currency? I.e. when I traded the gun and bullets for "$450" and hit trade with nothing else in the window, it just disappeared into a void? If so, ouch. Well, starting over either way.

-According to HLTB this game isn't too long. Half the length of Fallout 2. I'm gonna go ahead and try to knock it off quickly because I think we've crossed the threshold of "too antiquated" for me.

View attachment 466532
New character stats. Not gonna do melee weapons after all, due to aforementioned running up to enemies. I really murdered most of the attributes just to make sure I had maxed Perception and Endurance.

One Hander looks good for an optional trait, but I'm not sure how many of the good weapons are two-handed or how much of a penalty it gives to those. Since everything has a downside, I think I'll just take Fast Shot and nothing else.

Gifted, man, gifted. Also I don't think Endurance does much.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fallout was one of the first isometric CRPGs to really be open ended. That's what I think of it. If you have prior knowledge you can go right to the end of the game without doing any wonky shenanigans just having game knowledge about what checks/persuasion/etc exist and how to get to them. Its why speed runs are like 30 minutes and they don't use any weird glitches.

As much as Baldur's Gate lets you branch off and wander into the forest its still relatively linear as its trying to tell you a story in a traditional DND campaign format. Fallout is not.

It does take some getting used to though and it is a lot different.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
FALLOUT 1 TIME

View attachment 466532

Bottle caps is your money, there is no money otherwise in fallout. So the 450$ just gave you 450 bottle caps

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I did miss a fuckton of quests in this when I played years ago. Game 2 on my own CRPG log is going to be Divinity Original Sin 1 which I never completed.

This playthrough has moved up DOS2 considerably on my CRPG tier list. Along with Baldur's Gate Original Sin 2 is also an S-Tier title.

You missed a fuckton because it was you, me, goishen goishen and Persian Soap and we always had to save goishen goishen from dying all the time! :p

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FALLOUT 1 TIME

View attachment 466532

Regarding some of the points:
  • The way combat is, is the way almost all turn based games are (it's the style of other various games). Baulder's Gate is real time with pause, and it sacrifices some tactical aspects for a bit faster pace. Fallout is the simplest of turn based even, where action and movement are the same. In DnD turn based, you have a movement action, a quick action, a regular action, and a few free actions. You always need to use action to position, because position can be important, as many games have flanking/backstab.
  • I would think you would get used to the turn based melee aspect eventually, if you weren't switching back and forth between games. Guns are defiantly easier though. Guns can cause friendly fire, so if you are in melee range and a follower starts blastin with a minigun...
  • You should only pick one (or two, at most) weapon types so you have points for other things. I think you can have a max of two followers, so you don't have a traditional 6 man party to supplement your skills, like BG1/2 (and it's a bit of a different "party" system, altogether). Small guns are the baseline. Energy weps are great in the later half, and big guns are bursty, but you gotta scrounge for ammo, more often (if I recall correctly).
  • You were trapped in a bunker with a bunch of other people who don't know shit about outside. You have to find your own path, there is no hand holding. I think the dialog points you toward finding a town?
  • For the most part, you dont need to max out stats. Take a look though the Perk list, it's not that spoiler-ish and see what you want to take and build according to that. Being unlucky may be bad(?) and 10 INT might(?) unlock some special dialog paths, just like 1 INT unlocked "special" dialog. It's been a long time since I played Fallout 1, though.
  • Gifted is too hard to pass up. Never played a game without it. On my sniper/scientist/doctor in FO2, I think I did skilled too.
  • Aiming for a bodypart is great fun, so Fast Shot is a no go for me as well.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FALLOUT UPDATE

-Got a party member, the guy with big Aquaman hair in the first town.

-Nobody has any gorram caps to trade so I can barely make any money from selling stuff. Have a bunch of stuff to sell at this point and nobody to sell it to.

-There we go, got the 3 ropes in Sandy town.

-Got a quest to take out radscorpions, gonna do that next and then go back to Vault 15 and climb to the bottom with ropes (just for the exp).

-Game is pretty cool once you have a clue, but it really does feel dated.

Gifted, man, gifted. Also I don't think Endurance does much.

Gifted, eh? It looked like it had a bad downside to it as well. Too late now though. And that's unfortunate about Endurance, I guess I should have pumped Agility or CHA instead.

BALDUR II UPDATE

-I guess I'm kinda co-playing BG2 and FO1 at the moment.

-I keep getting pulled into quest after quest, sometimes quests within quests. Have the exact opposite problem from "I don't know what to do" and it's "I know exactly what to do and there's too much of it"

-Was going to the fort to the east to help out that new lady who joined the group (Nalia or something like that), only to get into a random battle where this poisoned guy wanted us to bring him back to his house. Which then led to a wizard wanting me to infiltrate said house, and the house not letting me in until I run an errand for THEM which involves clearing this other house. Oh yeah, and Yoshino's guild wants me to do a bunch of stuff to win their favor so they'll trust me (so I can betray them for this other guy). I kinda just want to get back to that first quest to help out Nalia with the fort.

-This game is compulsively playable.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Gifted, eh? It looked like it had a bad downside to it as well. Too late now though. And that's unfortunate about Endurance, I guess I should have pumped Agility or CHA instead.

The downside is negligible, -10% to your skills, which are already low at the start, and like -5% sp per level. The fact that the negs are % based lessens their impact. And you get to distribute the extra stat points wherever you want. Gifted is so strong many people consider it a cheat.