Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Caliane

The JRPG section was interesting. I've tried to get into them over the years and found them quite unplayable. It makes sense now that their main influences are previous games where western games are mostly influenced by D&D. Its kind of like AI's training off AI generated junk so eventually you end up with garbage.

I think I missed everything after Skyrim in that video except BG3.
yeah, I've talked about it, and linked videos. but like many gamers were more console gamers so didn't see it, or just in general you might not have really noticed it till you put them side by side. And see Dragonquests combat menus, right next to Wizardrys, and its just. holy shit. Dq's towns, and overworld design are right out of Ultima as well. Final fantasy's character classes and upgrades of course as well.

That video I think overlooks the ultima/might and magic/wizardry modern/sci fi elements. he keeps suggesting western rpgs are very dnd focused. but, ffs Ultima 2 has the space shuttle, and shit. every might and magic involves laser pistols. starwars was a huge influence on them. theres fucking ewoks and wookies in both. same with wizardry. its expressly sci-fi.
magi-tech is in all 3.
the about narrative. which again, ultima has you playing the avatar. there's tons of western rpgs that are more narrative driven. from kings quest, etc on.

this isn't to say jrpgs didn't have a style or format similarity. its more, I think western rpgs branched out more and more and followed LESS of a format. Western rpgs were more experimental.
diablo, dune/command and conquer, roguelikes, kings quest, bards tale, quest for glory, point and click adventures, baldur's gate, tomb raider, Heroes of might and magic, majesty, ultima online, ultima underworld, heretic, hexen, on, and on. just massively more variation in game design.

It interesting when he gets to the diablo, he does bring up Divine Divinity, from larian. but just calls its a diablo clone, and doesn't mention it was actually intended to be an Ultima clone, but publishers wanted it changed due to diablo's success.

Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
i do enjoy icewind dale (2000) more then temple of elemental evil. (2003)
toee was 3.5e interestingly. set in Greyhawk, not Faerun.
The main thing I really loved about elemental evil was you could have your archers opportunity attack enemy casters. That was a really cool addition. Makes archers feel useful.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i do enjoy icewind dale (2000) more then temple of elemental evil. (2003)

After some more choice paralysis I fired up Neverwinter Nights, now playing some of that. Had two seemingly game-ending glitches (i.e. spots where I got trapped because something didn't happen that was supposed to) and I'm only one dungeon in. Definitely a game where you want to do backup saves in safe areas. Seems like it'll be a fairly quick game considering how easy it is to completely break your character builds. Fighter+Weapon Master and Barbarian+Weapon Master are both super broken.

This reminds me of 1999-era EQ (with 2001-era visuals). The combat is very clunky and whatnot. I'll have to dig up the planning I did before on a build, which was supposed to be a crit-based scythe weapon master. Might start over (only level 3) and do a scimitar weapon master instead, since scythe is pretty slow and it looks a bit odd having my dainty lady in a corset carrying a giant death-scythe.

The JRPG section was interesting. I've tried to get into them over the years and found them quite unplayable. It makes sense now that their main influences are previous games where western games are mostly influenced by D&D. Its kind of like AI's training off AI generated junk so eventually you end up with garbage.

I think I missed everything after Skyrim in that video except BG3.

What do you find unplayable with the JRPGs? Just the general overload of weebyness and how half of them seem to take place in a Japanese high school?

I was the other way around. In the 90's I didn't really get CRPGs and found them unplayable, but I liked JRPGs a lot thanks to Chrono Trigger and FF6/7. Over time I fell out more and more with JRPGs and liked CRPGs more and more, but I'd still say 90% of the RPGs I've played in general were the J variety.

The funny thing is, CRPGs were what I actually wanted all along. I was all about the D&D influence, dungeon crawling, character builds, stats, stuff like that. I'd mine those things out of JRPGs while fending off all the weebyness and deflecting all the goggle boys.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The arena style everyone stands in a certain spot and jumps forward to attack thing just seemed lazy. Like they couldn't figure out how to pathfind so just had everyone stand still.

Then there was the unskippable little post fight sequences, the killing blow gets all the xp so your characters get wildly out of sync. I actually liked the look of most of them though.

I had taken home a ps2 devkit and flashed it to play games and bought one of the final fantasies, I think it was 11. At some point I just got stuck and couldn't go any further and gave up. I found out years later that you have to find an inn and rest to advance the story. That's a good example of "well everyone knows that!" kind of thing you get when the games only influence is other games.

Hell in crpgs resting is a last resort, and in fallout you could really screw yourself by resting as there was a limited amount of ingame time.

Caliane

some more thoughts on this.

I think he undersold the importance and impact of NWN. the modding, and online play. Secondlife, etc comes from that community.
Also, the modding of NWN, custom campaigns, etc was massive. That and morrowind. which both were 2002. its odd he didn't talk about this at all, as their impact on gaming would be pretty large.

One interesting thing I wonder about. what happened in 2007 exactly? 2006 is Oblivion. which looks... ok. But 2007 is Fallout 3, and Mass effect, Witcher. Just.. massive leap in visuals.
xbow 360 was 2005, ps3 was 2006. its possible, thats1-2 years off practice with that hardware? I'm looking at PC hardware dates, and nothing stands out there to me to justify the leap.

Geforce 8 series, supported Vista direct3d 10 for the first time in 2006. was it that?
(bioshock was also 2007.. remember the water?) so was crisis and portal.
no really, now I need an answer. what happened in 2007 that I'm forgetting that caused this massive visual shift?

He missed Mount and blade. 2008.

rpgmaker xp is also something that should have been mentioned. that has a LONG history.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The arena style everyone stands in a certain spot and jumps forward to attack thing just seemed lazy. Like they couldn't figure out how to pathfind so just had everyone stand still.

Then there was the unskippable little post fight sequences, the killing blow gets all the xp so your characters get wildly out of sync. I actually liked the look of most of them though.

I had taken home a ps2 devkit and flashed it to play games and bought one of the final fantasies, I think it was 11. At some point I just got stuck and couldn't go any further and gave up. I found out years later that you have to find an inn and rest to advance the story. That's a good example of "well everyone knows that!" kind of thing you get when the games only influence is other games.

Hell in crpgs resting is a last resort, and in fallout you could really screw yourself by resting as there was a limited amount of ingame time.
I've never been able to get into jrpgs either, but it probably had a lot to do with the lack of having a console between whenever we got a Super Nintendo and I was old enough to buy myself a PS2. Therefor I never built up any nostalgia or interest for the genre.

So, looking at the genre as an adult, the main thing for me was JRPGs seemed to offer no choices and were completely on rails; which was in stark contrast with all the western RPGs I loved.

I tried playing the first Trails of Cold Steel game a few years ago and couldn't make it past the first 1/3 of the game as I didn't care for the juvenile storytelling. Also had the same problem when looking at Final Fantasy stuff; too much cutesy and kid orientated shit when I tried to play the MMO, which left a bad taste for the whole IP. Not to mention, before the MMO, FF was still mostly console only, which made it imposable to try, when I might have had a passing interest to go try FF7 (as a passing interest wasn't going to push me to fiddle with emulators).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The main thing I really loved about elemental evil was you could have your archers opportunity attack enemy casters. That was a really cool addition. Makes archers feel useful.
That's a terrible change unless it doesn't apply to enemy archers, then it's just a dumb one.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It worked both ways yea. It made all the defensive wizard spells worthwhile though. Like my wizards in bg/iwd never bothered with blur or protection from normal missiles etc. In this game, that was your first cast.

The radius spells were great in that game too, like you could see the radius active on the ground and it would make a little sound when people entered / left the radius.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

This is a good example of my main issue with JRPGs, how frequently they expect you to find one thing or talk to one person to progress the story. It's fine if it's some magical macguffin in a nearby dungeon that the story is pointing you at; that's normal. The issue is when you're just trying to move the story forward and have to talk to some random cat-person in a random house and the game gives you no indication of it, so you're just wandering around. And yeah, when you go ask about it on a message board you inevitably get a bunch of "everyone knows that" type responses. The worst is when JRPGs try to be open-worldy while still limiting your progression behind talking to the right people at the right times. They're just giving you more land-area to be lost in while you're looking for the one person you need to find to progress.

Sounds like it was probably FF12, the beginning is in a big city area that can go in a bunch of directions. FF11 is the MMO, never played it.

rpgmaker xp is also something that should have been mentioned. that has a LONG history.

Is RPG maker XP considered the best one?

I remember RPGM 2000 and 2003 being pretty well-liked back in the day. I guess RPGM MV is the current one. I only played the ones on console (RPG Maker 1, 2, 3) which were extremely limiting. It's too bad I put so much energy into RPG Maker on PS1 (hundreds of hours, and basically had the first half of a full functioning game) because I could have accomplished a lot more with a PC version. Just having keyboard support alone would have sped up text entry by about 50x. There were also the two Super Dante games on SNES that looked really cool (could create something that looked just like an FF5 level game) but were Japan-only.

So, looking at the genre as an adult, the main thing for me was JRPGs seemed to offer no choices and were completely on rails; which was in stark contrast with all the western RPGs I loved.

Yeah that's the problem. Imagine an EQ where you can't progress the game, fight anything, or go to any dungeons until you talk to this one particular NPC in Qeynos, and the game only gives you his general area "South side of town". And that kind of thing happening repeatedly over the course of a game.

JRPGs really are kind of "on rails" a large amount of the time because they're focused on telling a story. You'll get JRPG fans / CRPG detractors who will say this is a good thing because open games don't tell good stories in comparison. However I think this is bunk in the modern era, and even in the past when the open games were light on narrative, you were still kinda just telling your own story as you went through them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Lets go! Man i remember playing so many hours on Ultima Exodus back in the day if its the one I remember. Always loved games where you can pick class and party comps, especially when it wasn't just cookie cutter / on the rails bullshit. So much of my 36+ years of gaming has been trying to min/max the best party combo's and restarting games after I learned some to try and find ways to be OP! Then being sad when I face rolled everything...

I miss some of the old games approaches when it came to leveling people where it wasn't always normalized. There was mvp exp bonus for most kills (high old Tactics Ogre!) or games that individually award contribution. Below game was like that I think. Healers always got dicked so you had to try and get them last hits to help level.

One of my most fondest memories from a young lad was Ogre Battle, so fustrating because you could get punished by making a few of your armies super strong and killing everything. It could change your alignment if I recall and make you miss certain req's for class changes. Loved that game, would love a modern twist trying to recapture that fun. Cross Edge was another game that I shouldn't have enjoyed as much as I did but the min/max and ability to pick from a lot of different people and then trying to get super strong to overkill everything to unique rewards from bosses. Also had such a good post game with abunch of bosses. Games now just don't seem to do it for me as far as single player, have 20+ games that should have been great that sit unfished in steam and instead i'm trying to beat a 19.99 indie game called Symphany of War for the 4th time because it just scratches the right itch without needing the AAA experience. Can't even bring myself to go back to BG3 because I just hate DnD game play. Everything else about the game is absolutely GOTY quality but DnD rules just makes it feel so unorganic and "meh" for me. If they make a Divinety Sin 3 with similar play style to DS2 with all the awesome things BG3 does right that will a generational game.

1710915974563.png
1710916466675.png

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I didn't even know they made exodus on snes!

I've always wanted to try some coding on the ps3. All those little simd cores to play around with. I got mine out over the weekend and experimented but the firmware on it is just too new to do much with. I could write some code and get it on there with a thing called HEN, but I can't install linux or do any debugging. I'm lost without a debugger.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I didn't even know they made exodus on snes!

I've always wanted to try some coding on the ps3. All those little simd cores to play around with. I got mine out over the weekend and experimented but the firmware on it is just too new to do much with. I could write some code and get it on there with a thing called HEN, but I can't install linux or do any debugging. I'm lost without a debugger.

I think Exodus is only on NES. It's a pretty rough port and hard to play. Quest of the Avatar is also on NES and is a fantastic port. They made it more like Dragon Warrior and I've seen people say it's a top 20 game on the system. Finally the NES got Ultima 5 as well but it was a completely bungled port and barely playable. So the 3 Ultimas that got NES ports really run the spectrum, with Ultima 4 being the one most worth playing (and Exodus if you really, really like Ultima).

SNES got Ultima 6 and 7 IIRC and neither reviewed very well. While the NES ports were very console-ized ports, the SNES ones stayed much closer to the PC originals and thus were actually harder to play with console limitations. They exist though. There's a Runes of Virtue game on SNES that got poorly reviewed, probably because it's a port of a Game Boy game.

Game Boy got two Ultima Runes of Virtue spinoff games and from what I've read they're both good games, but I really don't know. Game Boy is very much either a you love it or you don't system, and modern emulation has made a lot of GB games a lot nicer visually.

If I were to play any of the console Ultimas I'd go with Quest of the Avatar on NES and the two Rune games on GB. And maybe Exodus.

One of my most fondest memories from a young lad was Ogre Battle, so fustrating because you could get punished by making a few of your armies super strong and killing everything. It could change your alignment if I recall and make you miss certain req's for class changes. Loved that game, would love a modern twist trying to recapture that fun.

Something just came out called Unicorn Overlord (Switch, PS5) that's supposed to be a modern rendition of the Ogre Battle formula. Don't know much about it except that it still lets you steamroll the game with a few strong units consolidating your best fighters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Is RPG maker XP considered the best one?

I remember RPGM 2000 and 2003 being pretty well-liked back in the day. I guess RPGM MV is the current one. I only played the ones on console (RPG Maker 1, 2, 3) which were extremely limiting. It's too bad I put so much energy into RPG Maker on PS1 (hundreds of hours, and basically had the first half of a full functioning game) because I could have accomplished a lot more with a PC version. Just having keyboard support alone would have sped up text entry by about 50x. There were also the two Super Dante games on SNES that looked really cool (could create something that looked just like an FF5 level game) but were Japan-only.
Dunno. thats the version that came to me. Could be due to it being part of the 2000's indie explosion, or simple that it was up on steam for free a few weeks ago.

mz is the current version yea.

Exodus on the NES I think might have been my first real rpg. hard to say. The early days for gaming were of course very complicated. no one had every system. and if you had PC, your hardware at any given time might have been dated.

Like for me.. I had one uncle/cousins who had an atari 2600. so my brother and I would play that, at their house during parties, or get togethers. and have access to their games.
Another cousin had sega master system>genesis. so had access to those games there. they were bigger gamers, so had a good selection of games. my first time with might and magic was with them. I don't remember if it was their pc, or genesis.
A neighbor was the first to get an NES. so first experience of mario brothers was there.
so, short of Pong, our first console was the atari 5200. (which is not as bad as it gets a rap for). My brother and I played the heck out of that, before eventually getting a NES. I don't remember what year we got the NES finally.

sears. sears would have NES stations set up for kids to play. Metroid first play was at sears.
Sears ALSO had a large PC section, and would often have games set up and playable. with the best video and sound cards too. so you'd see all these cool as fuck games, but not like your home pc could handle them.

If we were playing metroid in sears in 87, that probably means we didn't have one yet.
dragonwarrior released in the us in 89. the free dragonwarrior with Nintendo power sub was in late 1990. which is were we got that.
Ultima exodus came to the NES in 87.
so, I think we got the NES sometime between 87 and 90.

Pc gaming. at any given time, didn't have a pc capable of handling modern games.
We had access to pc's and even portable pcs due to my dad's work.
1983 compaq portable.

but were not constantly being updated. 4color cgi graphics. pinball, price is right, flight sim, need for speed, test drive, cal games. also some roguelikes(iirc was a copy, not actually Rogue), and castle.
Secret of monkey island, a neighbor owned. they had vga graphics or maybe svga, while copied and took back home to our cgi. hah.

kings quest 6. kept seeing this in stores, and iirc, we did upgrade our pc to be able to run this at a decent quality. that would have been 93. this was one of the first high res games I had.
Doom. visited dad's work, and they had Doom, on a work pc. 93' naval contractors. ha
gato as well. which is super not surprising for sub contractors..

I think NES Exodus is actually pretty solid. especially... 10 yr old me. there's no way I would have been able to get into the actual way way more complicated PC exodus.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It worked both ways yea. It made all the defensive wizard spells worthwhile though. Like my wizards in bg/iwd never bothered with blur or protection from normal missiles etc. In this game, that was your first cast.

The radius spells were great in that game too, like you could see the radius active on the ground and it would make a little sound when people entered / left the radius.
I guess it partially compensates for the limitations of CRPG AI but it's not like low level non-druid casters need even more pain in their lives and it sure doesn't do anything to stop the utter dominance of high level casters.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I guess it partially compensates for the limitations of CRPG AI but it's not like low level non-druid casters need even more pain in their lives and it sure doesn't do anything to stop the utter dominance of high level casters.
Yea it has been years but I remember all the action being around level 1 and 2 spells. It's not like the crazy fights in bg2 with mages stopping time and blasting everything into dust.

It is rough if you don't have initiative though.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
I finally decided to play some of the games on my steam shelf. I got nostalgic for my old Wizardry titles and I had Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant from who knows when. I only slightly cheated with madgod's save editor to reduce the amount of rerolls needed for my party, then loaded up on badjoke names like my 8 year old self... (David Bowie the bard is a a tale as old as time, Labrynth was big for me as a kid heh)
20240322_083522.jpg

It is amazing how having to map this on graph paper 30 years ago makes so much of this floor plan stick in my head even today...

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Dunno. thats the version that came to me. Could be due to it being part of the 2000's indie explosion, or simple that it was up on steam for free a few weeks ago.

mz is the current version yea.

Exodus on the NES I think might have been my first real rpg. hard to say. The early days for gaming were of course very complicated. no one had every system. and if you had PC, your hardware at any given time might have been dated.

Like for me.. I had one uncle/cousins who had an atari 2600. so my brother and I would play that, at their house during parties, or get togethers. and have access to their games.
Another cousin had sega master system>genesis. so had access to those games there. they were bigger gamers, so had a good selection of games. my first time with might and magic was with them. I don't remember if it was their pc, or genesis.
A neighbor was the first to get an NES. so first experience of mario brothers was there.
so, short of Pong, our first console was the atari 5200. (which is not as bad as it gets a rap for). My brother and I played the heck out of that, before eventually getting a NES. I don't remember what year we got the NES finally.

sears. sears would have NES stations set up for kids to play. Metroid first play was at sears.
Sears ALSO had a large PC section, and would often have games set up and playable. with the best video and sound cards too. so you'd see all these cool as fuck games, but not like your home pc could handle them.

If we were playing metroid in sears in 87, that probably means we didn't have one yet.
dragonwarrior released in the us in 89. the free dragonwarrior with Nintendo power sub was in late 1990. which is were we got that.
Ultima exodus came to the NES in 87.
so, I think we got the NES sometime between 87 and 90.

Pc gaming. at any given time, didn't have a pc capable of handling modern games.
We had access to pc's and even portable pcs due to my dad's work.
1983 compaq portable.

but were not constantly being updated. 4color cgi graphics. pinball, price is right, flight sim, need for speed, test drive, cal games. also some roguelikes(iirc was a copy, not actually Rogue), and castle.
Secret of monkey island, a neighbor owned. they had vga graphics or maybe svga, while copied and took back home to our cgi. hah.

kings quest 6. kept seeing this in stores, and iirc, we did upgrade our pc to be able to run this at a decent quality. that would have been 93. this was one of the first high res games I had.
Doom. visited dad's work, and they had Doom, on a work pc. 93' naval contractors. ha
gato as well. which is super not surprising for sub contractors..

I think NES Exodus is actually pretty solid. especially... 10 yr old me. there's no way I would have been able to get into the actual way way more complicated PC exodus.

I'll probably run NES Exodus at some point, along with Quest of the Avatar. F the Ultima 5/6/7 Nintendo ports though. 5 in particular is basically unplayable.

I remember the free Dragon Warrior promotion with Nintendo Power. I missed out on it (and the whole NES era) and didn't procure a subscription until 1993.

I had a pretty terrible Windows 3.1 computer from like 1992 to 1998. At the time it seemed cool though, and could play some very limited games like that 3D Breakout game where you knocked a ball around to break blocks. 3D was like the coolest thing ever at that time, as blocky as it was.

What made me upgrade computers was this text MUD called Legends of Terris. THAT was a great game. Had nine classes and all of them were really interesting / different. Fighter, Berserker, Monk, Ranger, Thief, Battlemage, Naturalist (Priest), Wizard, Sorcerer. At level 35 each class would get access to abilities from other classes, and could learn them at various increased costs. So a Berserker could learn to heal, at like a 3x penalty. You got build points every time you leveled that could be used to get skills. There was no level cap, you could level indefinitely. Highest-level player in the game was like level 130 IIRC.

The meta was Sorcerer, which hit harder than any other class, and Berserker, which couldn't retreat from fights easily and couldn't learn cross-class skills easily at all, but outputted a ton of DPS. If you went barehanded and learned Monk skills, a Berserker could out DPS a Monk with fists. Only class that was "bad" was probably Wizard, which could use spells from both spell fields (Naturalist and Sorcerer) but only at like 60% effectiveness. Better off going with one of the pure classes and just cross-speccing at level 35. Battlemage was also kind of bad actually, half a Fighter with access to spells across the board that they weren't good at either. If you wanted to be a real battlemage type character you were better off going with Ranger or Monk, which both learned priest magic alongside their melee abilities. A Ranger with complete heal was pretty much an unstoppable battlemage type character, given their range attacks. Lastly there was Thief which could assassinate mobs on their first attack (from hidden) for huge damage and became the meta for a while. They were at a disadvantage once they shot their opening attack though.

In any case, Terris was a pretty damn awesome game and I definitely miss playing it. They never really gave it any kind of final boss. There were a couple of super high level zones that supposedly had other things beyond them / secret superbosses / etc, but I never found out for sure. There were definitely some huge secrets in the game and finding one was a big rush because it might lead to a whole new area that few people even knew about. Eventually the players got so strong that they introduced this uber-mob called the Gatekeeper that was basically the Kerafyrm of the game. Hit super hard, had a ton of HP, would run everyone over. It guarded some huge gate that went nowhere and it never went anywhere while I was playing. I assume they added some sort of expansion or something beyond it eventually. But yeah, the GMs would just summon Gatekeepers and other super-tough mobs in the middle of town zones to "invade" and that'd be the only thing that could really threaten the high level players after a while. It was pretty awesome stuff.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh my God, after a year I finally have a CRPG Blog to post. Played NWN quite a bit the last couple evenings. I don't know of I'll stick with it or finish the game because it's not the best experience at this point. It's very much a Pre-KOTOR with a medieval setting. Even the HD enhanced edition has a terrible draw distance and blocky character models. I'd say the 2D Infinity Engine games look much nicer than this early-3D style, way more detail and personality in those games. And NWN2 won't even have the benefit of being an enhanced port.

18e60656b7324-screenshotUrl.jpg

First I went with a lady in a dress with a scythe, with the intent of going Weapon Master build using said scythe.

18e6065988317-screenshotUrl.jpg

Game can look really nice when it wants to. In any case, this woman and her scythe just looked ridiculous after a couple hours so I restarted and specced for a Scimitar master instead. This gave me a shield and made things easier. Plus I had bungled some stat allocation the first time and I was able to fix that.

18e6065c88f10-screenshotUrl.jpg

Now she's basically an EQ Druid in looks. Haven't gotten any spells yet, fully focused on melee traits and getting all the pre-reqs for getting access to Weapon Master. Plan right now is 8 levels of Fighter, 7 levels of Weapon Master, then Barbarian for the rest. Really like this game's system of mixing and matching classes as you level. Would love a version of EQ where you could level classes individually and end up with like a level 20 Wizard who has level 6 Bard songs and level 1 Druid snare, a kiting maniac.

18e6065dae177-screenshotUrl.jpg

Speaking of EQ, much like EQ this game has a chessboard. That's pretty cool.

18e6065eae730-screenshotUrl.jpg

The first major dungeon is basically the Plane of Justice from EQ (this pre-dated PoP by over a year). I recruited the Rogue NPC with a Ykesha and chewed through it. Took an age and a half because it was so easy to get lost. Up to the big boss now, the Intellect Devourer who jumps from body to body like Azazel from Fallen. You can tell the NPCs to run away beforehand so he has fewer people to leap into. Even them he's still tough. Not sure if it's the final battle of Chapter 1 (of four) or not. Have about six hours played.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

ha. yeah, in Shadows of undrentide I was 100% playing a shadowdancer. hordes of underdark, I think the sd again, and a run with a red dragon disciple. the shadow dancer was fun, as it gave me a lot to do in combat. stealth, in and out and positioning. and traps, etc. since I was playing the rogue always. (I don't remember what I played in vanilla nwn.)

And obviously yes, early 3d has no aged well.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
ha. yeah, in Shadows of undrentide I was 100% playing a shadowdancer. hordes of underdark, I think the sd again, and a run with a red dragon disciple. the shadow dancer was fun, as it gave me a lot to do in combat. stealth, in and out and positioning. and traps, etc. since I was playing the rogue always. (I don't remember what I played in vanilla nwn.)

And obviously yes, early 3d has no aged well.

What NWN expansions are worth playing? I'd be okay with skipping both of them unless one is super great.

I hope NWN2 is a bit prettier and less rough around the edges. Considering it came out in 2006 (after both KOTORs IIRC) it should be.