Raspberry Pi

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Apparently it works on a Fire Stick too. Just ordered one but they aren't in until Aug 4th. Figure I'll set it up and give it to him for his birthday or Christmas. Never looked in to any of this once I had mine set up.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yea it's pretty adaptable to a bunch of devices. I set it up to my chromecast also. Sometimes it doesn't have the correct codecs to play some shows though.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anybody made a RetroPi yet? I feel a hankering to play some old ass games and that looks like the best solution.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bunch of us have made them

They're incredible
Have a link to a good guide on how to set up? I'm sure there is plenty of info there (some of it better than others) but if you already have a guide you know is good, post it up.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As much as I want to support Nintendo, this sounds like a way better option than buying the Nintendo with 30 games.

What kind of controllers can be used with Retropie?

Edit: Just saw there are USB Nintendo and SNES controllers. Wow, this is getting legit!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
As much as I want to support Nintendo, this sounds like a way better option than buying the Nintendo with 30 games.

What kind of controllers can be used with Retropie?

Edit: Just saw there are USB Nintendo and SNES controllers. Wow, this is getting legit!
That is exactly why I started looking into the RetroPi. That NES remake came with 30 games that weren't Contra and I said fuck that.

I just got this USB SNES knock-off to play NES and SNES games and it is legit:

Amazon.com: Buffalo Classic USB Gamepad for PC: Computers Accessories

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I would think it works the same way as a pi2 with dongle. I had to just make sure to register both mac IDs of my controllers and manage 2 retroarch configs. It is also really weird that I have to connect one controller on boot, then reboot and connect the second one while the first is still paired. This is on retropie 3.0, they may have fixed some things by 3.6.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Raspberry Pi discussion.

Since the Nintendo classic announcement, I've been thinking of building a RetroPie. I know there's tons of info out there, but any advice for someone who's never used a Pi and has almost no Linux experience would be helpful.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here's a checklist of the things you'll need and/or want to get your first Raspberry Pi up and running:

The Pi itself.  The Raspberry Pi 3 has built in bluetooth and wi-fi, which is super nice, and a noticeably more powerful CPU, which is also super nice.  There are a bunch of other versions of Pi that may suit niche uses better, but in general the Pi 3 is the one you want.

A HDMI monitor.  Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

A keyboard and mouse.  You might want to use bluetooth to keep your USB jacks open for game controllers.  Or you might want to use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that shares a single USB dongle.  The ones that come with their own dongle are less likely to run into compatibility/driver issues, and sticking with well known name brands like Logitech is a safe bet too.

A micro sd card.  This is the main drive on Raspberry Pis, and where you'll install your OS.  I like to use 32 G cards because it gives a reasonable amount of room for downloading movies and what have you.

An OS.  I highly recommend sticking with Raspbian as a general purpose OS, and NOOBS if you're interested in testing out the more niche OSes.

A USB power supply.  Any generic micro USB phone charger will probably work, but if you want something that's not a cheap piece of junk look for one that can supply 2A or more.  It's not super critical to have a beefy power supply, but if you're going to use all 4 USB jacks then you'll definitely want to avoid the bottom of the barrel chargers here.

A case.  I have this one.  It's $8 with a lid.  You can spend a lot more on a case if you want something made out of aluminum or whatever, but this one is not the shittiest case around, and the price is right.