Recommend me a local streaming/Netflix/xbmc solution

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Plex. If Plex doesn't work, figure out your issues to make plex work. Then Plex.

I've got a hardon for when it works with Chromecast, were using an apple tv right now thats a piece of shit, not just with plex but also with netflix.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'll second (or eighth) Plex. I have PMS running on an old headless desktop. NAS for storage. I have plex clients on laptop/tablet/phone, and with the dedicated server I can transcode as necessary for whatever device I'm on. I don't use my TV much, but I have HDMI output for my phone when I do, and it's a cinch. It's so convenient it feels like cheating.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Plex for me too ...

The way I have things setup at home is like this:

PLEX Server/Storage:

- Thecus N5550 NAS (8TB of Storage)
- PLEX Server (i5-laptop) - real low power so running 24/7 is no problem.

My PLEX Clients:

- AppleTV3 (Master bedroom) (42" 1080p)
- Roku3 (Living room 55" LED 1080p)
- GF iPad 2
- my iPad 3
- GF iPhone 5s
- my Droid Razr MAXX

I also have 3 other friends running it on their phones/ipads/roku3s.

Edit: the UI on the Roku3 for Plex is disgusting, but it's fast as hell, so its worth the tradeoff.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am a little confused about what plex offers. If your device is powerful enough to stream and decode the file directly from the source, and almost all phones/tablets/set top boxes are these days, what do I get from plex?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am a little confused about what plex offers. If your device is powerful enough to stream and decode the file directly from the source, and almost all phones/tablets/set top boxes are these days, what do I get from plex?
Centralized server with low cost clients that have zero setup or complications.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The setup involved with my Boxee Box was to find my shared folder on my computer and add it to the "My Sources". And it cost $180. Seems pretty easy and cheap to me.

BTW, Plex's scraper got some of my shows wrong. It translated some of the American Pie movies into "American Heritage Series" and Chopped is one long 8 hour episode. That's too much Ted Allen for me.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Right your boxee is one device playing local files.

Plex is streaming to almost any device you can think of.

It got some of your shows wrong probably cause your file names are shitty and still have scene tags on them
biggrin.png

My folders are the cleanest thing n the world and no scraper makes any errors with it.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Centralized server with low cost clients that have zero setup or complications.
Just to further this: some devices won't actually play the files, even though they are powerful enough. iPhones and iPads can't play MKV files natively, and (I believe) prefer to have their audio in AAC/AC3 format - so the PLEX server will actually do all the transcoding work itself and then just stream the iPad, etc an MP4 stream with the video/audio it can playback.

Its also incredibly convenient for moving across multiple devices. For example, if you start watching a movie on one device (say your iPad while you're taking a shit) and then decide to go watch it on the big screen downstairs, you can just click on the movie from that device (say a Roku) and it'll resume exactly where you left off from with the iPad.

It'll also track watched status, so you know where you left off in a season of a show, and you can have multiple users (each with their own profiles and watch status) so that if I watched a TV Series like Breaking Bad it'll show as watched for me, but if my GF who never saw it decides to see what isn't watched it'll show up, and when she watchs it, it'll track exactly where she is per episode.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Right your boxee is one device playing local files.

Plex is streaming to almost any device you can think of.

It got some of your shows wrong probably cause your file names are shitty and still have scene tags on them
biggrin.png

My folders are the cleanest thing n the world and no scraper makes any errors with it.
Eh, I guess I'll revisit Plex when I have multiple TVs, whenever that is. Still dubious.

You go through the trouble of sanitizing filenames you just downloaded? I don't think you can do that while the torrent is still being shared.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Eh, I guess I'll revisit Plex when I have multiple TVs, whenever that is. Still dubious.

You go through the trouble of sanitizing filenames you just downloaded? I don't think you can do that while the torrent is still being shared.
If you have one media device there is no reason for Plex. You are 100% right. If you have two tablets, 4 laptops, 2 phones, 4 ipads, and two rokus that can access all the media? Worth it. If you have plenty of bandwidth and have friends that want to share your media or you want to access it on the road? Also extremely worth it.

Yeah I don't do torrents like that, I seedbox them and then FTP them to my box so not affected it but yes I sanitize every folder and every file.

This is an example of what my folders look like. Some of it I do by hand some of it I have automated. The TV shows are 100% automated via sickbeard.

The movies I dump into that folder as just the movie file inside it's folder and then every so often I run Ember Media Manager to generate the rest of the stuff. Plex generates all of it's thumbnails and fanart in it's own database I just put the files in there later on for XBMC when I have to do big rebuilds even though it will do it all by itself anyways. Plus when I share all my files with someone on an external my stuff is impressive.

D:\
-----> incomplete (this folder is for temporary stuff)
-----> complete
---------> TV
------------> Archer (2009)
---------------> Season 01
------------------> Archer (2009) - 1x01 - Mole Hunt.mp4
---------------> Season 02
---------------> Season 03
---------------> Season 04
---------------> fanart.jpg
---------------> folder.jpg
---------> Movies
------------> Avengers, The (2012)
---------------> Avengers, The (2012).mkv
---------------> Avengers, The (2012)-fanart.jpg
---------------> Avengers, The (2012)-poster.jpg
---------------> Avengers, The (2012).tbn

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Got plex working. It's not bad. Annoys me that I seem to have to refresh it whenever I add something new to my library, and it doesn't auto update.

While my Roku 3 is far more reliable than my Boxee, unfortunately, i feel the Boxee had better performance

Nester

Vyemm Raider
PS3s should be cheap next week. I use a ps3 and PMS to stream the files, on the 2nd tv I use the built in software from my $99 Blueray player. The Blueray is kinda week. I think I will try plex out. Does roku and boxee have cinavia? Does everything?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Got plex working. It's not bad. Annoys me that I seem to have to refresh it whenever I add something new to my library, and it doesn't auto update.

While my Roku 3 is far more reliable than my Boxee, unfortunately, i feel the Boxee had better performance
Plex does auto update.

bm4ZygC.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yes, Plex, transcodes things so that it should play on any device if you have the bandwidth. No, I don't have any streaming services at the moment. The Roku played an episode of Planet Earth fine, and that was a 1080p Bluray rip as far as I recall. But like I said, I haven't done a lot of testing as yet to see what works and what doesn't work in terms of files, codecs, containers etc.
Plex on the Roku started working fine for no real reason that I can see, I didn't change anything. Both in terms of being able to use my phone or tablet to play things on the Roku, and in terms of the Roku playing movie files. It still seems to take a very long time to start streaming movies, though, and still fails occasionally. Only on the Roku, it's fine on an iPad, Nexus 4 and Nexus 10.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What reliability issues are you having with your Boxee? Maybe things changed with stock release, but I long since updated my Boxee with new firmware from Boxee Hacks and have 0 problems. Remote was going out on me as well, but I replaced the battery and all is well again. Love my Boxee!

When we get another TV, currently only 1 in the house, over Black Friday, we'll be getting a Roku with it and will be running Plex.

BOXEE+HACKS

And I've added my sources, but I don't use Movies, Shows, etc, as I got annoyed at how long it was taking to load all the art. I just go to Files, and navigate to my shared hard drive that has all my stuff.

I do run a Plex server though, for friends to be able to stream my stuff when they want, and so I can stream my stuff to other devices, but I rarely do this.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you're asking me, Crone, I think that's been resolved. Remote battery was indeed dying, it was just manifesting in the weirdest way. I would think it would just stop working, not register one button press as multiple.

Boxee itself got a factory reset and an install of the BOXEE+HACKS. Not sure if the hacks helps, but it seems to be working fine now. I also took the time to comb through the settings again. Since I don't use the Movies/Shows/etc like you mentioned(for the same reason), I turned off periodic source scanning. I know where my files are, I'll go get them, thank you. Rebuffering hasn't happened since then.