Red Baron Remake on Kickstarter

Szlia

*livejournal* I am glad they are remaking this and that you posted about it, because it allowed me to realize that the game I played with my cousin on his 286 (?) was not Red Baron (as I always thought), but most likely Sopwith. */livejournal*

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Does it come with a remake of TSN/INN so we can all play it in Play land?

Also someone needs to remake TSN/INN so we can all play updated versions of Shadows of Yserbius.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm of two minds on this.

A) A-10 Tank Killer, Aces of the Pacific, and Apache Longbow were some of my favorite games of all time. I'd like to support remakes of those, and flight sims in general, just because I'd like to see the genre brought back to life. These games had the perfect mix between entertainment and simulation, while games like warhawk were far too arcadey, and falcon 3.0 was far too simmy.

B) I didn't really care for the original red baron. In general, I think Aces of the Pacific did everything red baron did.... better, maybe part of that is just the advancement of technology, but some of it is just that there weren't that many planes and/or mission types available when your plane has such a narrow range of speeds and armaments.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm of two minds on this.

A) A-10 Tank Killer, Aces of the Pacific, and Apache Longbow were some of my favorite games of all time. I'd like to support remakes of those, and flight sims in general, just because I'd like to see the genre brought back to life. These games had the perfect mix between entertainment and simulation, while games like warhawk were far too arcadey, and falcon 3.0 was far too simmy.

B) I didn't really care for the original red baron. In general, I think Aces of the Pacific did everything red baron did.... better, maybe part of that is just the advancement of technology, but some of it is just that there weren't that many planes and/or mission types available when your plane has such a narrow range of speeds and armaments.
B is an awesome point now that I think about it. But I am guessing the developer is going for a quick multiplayer dogfight fix. I loved Aces of the Pacific. Wasn't it more actual missions though?

PT-109 needs to come back in all it's glory too.

And maybe a remake of Uninvited and Shadowgate.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah the original had epic dogfights, with actual different airplanes and quality, you could tell later on if you were up to a bad mofo or just sme crap newbie in a cheap airplane.
Also had looking into the sun effect, clouds too i think and blackout & whiteout by maneuvering or redouts by getting hit by your opponent (you better tried to land and live instead of crash and die).
Not much wrong with that game.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Gotchya
smile.png

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Giving this a shot.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZVQmEEHk5pA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Come on. Use HTML.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You click the video button at the far right, before the quote bouble. If you see the yellow smiley, it's 5 buttons to the right. You paste the url. You can click 'go advanced' instead of the 'post quick reply' to see the magic.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Test - Sweet
smile.png

Thanks man. People have been pissed at me for not embedding.

Szlia

Flight sims are such a niche market that is now dominated by crazy labors of love that I suspect the only flightsticks you can find nowadays are great and expensive.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
All I know is that this game sucked hundreds of hours of my life - playing with actual death on your pilot - I never survived to the end of the war as my kid self. I think my best was like 3 months from the end of the war - game was absolutely great. I'm a flight sim junkie but nothing has done world war 1 like red baron. The planes aren't "bad ass" like WWII tech or jets and the like - but the performance difference between the early and later years of the war are amazing for making an absolutely ridiculous fun game.