Represent Your Distro (or any OS)

Surpisngly there are no threads discussing various Linux Distros. I started a thread like this on P99 but most people on there run Windows so it wasn't that great of a discussion. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a flamefest.

Currently running Linux Mint 16 but I am considering ElementaryOS, Arch Linux, Gentoo, and/or Linux From Scratch. I've also considered BSDs but the community there seems to elitist for my tastes.

edit: hopefully there isnt a thread already like this that I missed. I did search and only a few posts had any discussion of Linux.

feel free to discuss desktop environments as well. I am using xfce atm. It seems to run alot smoother than cinnamon which is what comes packaged with Mint.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
CentOS on our dev boxes. I use OSX at work. I find OSX to be my favorite development environment.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I forgot to mention since we do enterprise storage we do dev work on everything: Windows, Linux (SLES, Ubuntu, etc), and some weird OS' that some of the business units develop (usually linux based). I get pretty good exposure to a wide variety.

No fucking robots though.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Win7 on the gaming machine and at work, Ubuntu on my netbook (yeah people still use this stuff) which is a websurfing / banking device for us mainly.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Same, it's pretty much the good parts of linux combined with the good parts of windows imho. Pretty interface and a full terminal.
I was apprehensive when they switched me from Windows to OSX at work but I couldn't be happier. Once you realize you can actually do anything and everything in the terminal the OS is, I feel, actually more powerful than Windows for development. I still don't know how to do all the stuff via the GUI in OSX but I sure as hell know enough Unix to do whatever I want to do.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
I was apprehensive when they switched me from Windows to OSX at work but I couldn't be happier. Once you realize you can actually do anything and everything in the terminal the OS is, I feel, actually more powerful than Windows for development. I still don't know how to do all the stuff via the GUI in OSX but I sure as hell know enough Unix to do whatever I want to do.
I never thought I would do it in a million years but I traded in my Dell for a Macbook at work last summer and I loved it so damn much I bought a new one for personal development at home. I have a screaming fast desktop but won't have any part of it outside of gaming anymore because I like OSX so much for development.

A little off-topic but you guys running OSX are using a Mac I assume? I've always consider switching over to Mac because every PC I've ever built has never met my expectations in terms of speed and performance. Despite having 2.2ghz dual core cpu, 4 gigs of ram, and a 1gig nvidia video card, my computer still seems to run like shit. even EQ1 lags like crazy when i turn everything to high with spell effects and forget about playing games like EQ2. Eve for instance, I have to play on the lowest settings for it to be playable. WTF its like no matter how much I upgrade, I never see a difference.

Ahh sorry I am ranting at this point. Just wondering if you guys are using OSX with a Mac or PC and if you think its worth switching over. Like right now I am using Eclipse to learn Java and it loads and runs very sluggish. Feels bad man.

So if you were going to invest in a good computer for development would you buy a mac with OSX or build a PC and install OSX as the OS?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fedora - I've run all the major Linux distros and quite a few minor ones over the years only multiple PCs and just today I ditched the last non-fedora install (mint) due to shitty wifi support. I've found it to be the most stable and least likely to break shit (though it still sadly happens over version changes). I used to run CentOS but abandoned it when they fell 1-2 major versions behind RHEL. Ideally I'd like to run a rolling release distro like Chakra or Manjaro but I'm gun-shy after how frequently more "stable" distros break shit.

pfsense - my choice for router OS

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd buy a Mac, I don't really know anyone who uses a Hackintosh for anything serious, because they come with a whole bucket of stability and updatability issues. Frankly if a Mac was simply out of budget, I'd just use Linux instead rather than a Hackintosh.
This right here. Hackintosh is nice and fine to play around with but for real world use I would advise against it. The macbook air just got a refresh, so you can find last years model which is practically identical to the new one except for a slight non perceptible cpu boost.

If you go with Linux then your best bet is getting a mainstream distro like Ubuntu. Stick with LTS as it will offer the best stability at least in the future but not straight out of the gate. Unity is a bit of a bust but I got used to it. I install docky, which gives you an osx type icon bar albeit a bit low res and takes a lot of the pain away. The color scheme sucks donkey balls though.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
A little off-topic but you guys running OSX are using a Mac I assume? I've always consider switching over to Mac because every PC I've ever built has never met my expectations in terms of speed and performance.
OS/X will not feel any quicker than Windows. Windows is fucking fast and no Linux or OS/X machine will ever feel as "snappy" as Windows on equivalent hardware.

I'd say fuck Eclipse/Java and go with Visual Studio and C# if you're learning programming.