Rerolled "Best Game of 2014"

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont play too many games these days so I cant comment on what is best or worst. But Destiny being the worst? Fuck I can name a few off the top of my head like Titanfall, The Halo bullshit thats still broken, Watchdogs that flopped, The new assasins creed which was broken right out the box.... BF4 which was broken for 6 months before they fixed it.
I suspect that he didn't mean it was literally the worst game ever made, but rather that the gulf between "what it was supposed to be" and "what they actually shipped" makes it one of the biggest disappointments ever.

Watch_dogs would certainly make that list as well, no arguments there.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
and thats fine, I can take that criticism, but worst of the year? Yeah maybe in UT la-la land. At its worst it gave you 20-30 hours of content at the short end until shit got repetitive. And thats not even touching the PvP side.
I can't stand the game but there seems to be two solid camps. People like me who get bored super quick and guys who play 200 hours and love it. Hey man more power to ya I won't knock it.

With that said the game I hated the most was Evil Within.

I felt like that game was so overhyped it's not even funny. Jesus and Az platinum'd that game. He's got balls o Steel.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wha? Youre fucking crazy bro. At least it worked out the box, maybe it did not meet your Ut expectations, but the game is solid. Online play is solid, game mechanics are solid. There were so many turds released this year that didnt even work, I dont even know how the fuck you have this one as the worst.

Yeah im a fan and yeah im biased. I also have over 200 hours invested in this game. Loved every minute of it. And cant wait to get home to do more. Fuck you!
I don't want to turn this thread into a pissing match here, but the game itself was neutered to oblivion. What was sold to the public and then what came out were two completely different things. Just because a game runs doesn't mean it isn't a boring piece of shit to play. I have had good gun mechanics and working games since I was playing Shareware Doom. The gameplay missions were horridly uncreative. It was literally * Always * the same. Go here, go here, fight here. Push this button. Ghost: "Oh no! HERE THEY COME." 3 waves. Done." Rinse and repeat. THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME. Strikes were run of the mill, patrols were random dailies, and the entire RNG loot system was borked so one couldn't even turn it into a decent Diablo 3 loot fest. Another problem was the voice acting was horrendous, but above all that, the entire story of the game which could have created one hell of a world within was cut to bits and resold as DLC with pacing turning into a convoluted mess. PvP was your standard run of the mill we have always seen since Tribes. I fail to see anything here other than complete and utter mediocrity.

Did it run? I do not measure a game by if it runs. The fact we actually have to debate whether a game is decent any more because it fucking boots up on launch day is so ridiculously assinine I cannot even fathom a comeback for that way of thinking. When comparing it to Unity, BF4, and all the technical downfalls, sure. You rate it differently than I do. I look at the meat of the game when it works. As it * should * work. And what happens when it * does * work.

Destiny is a lost opportunity cost on a massive scale where dumbed down and non creative rinse and repeat content creates an all new low for what we should come to expect as gamers. The game was as shallow as a mobile game being played on a PS4. Christ, I feel like Warframe had more going for it than this, and that was free to play.

You have your own opinion. Glad you found something you liked.

At its worst it gave you 20-30 hours of content at the short end until shit got repetitive.
Until shit got repetitive? What planet are you on? You would run the same damn mission objective/type in each story mission. Over, and over, and fucking over again. Fight in, oh no, here they come (change name), fight three waves, done. I mean fuck dude even Call of Duty has better mission variety than this.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ut when are we going to have this "Drunk" night? Xmas daysoff / vacation for many of us.

Let's run a raid in Destiny?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
No one is asking for the worst game, The question was for the biggest disappointment. Don't move my Goalposts bros. and MoAR VOTES.

SoM took an early lead. DA:I coming on strong. I admit I just picked up DA:I over the weekend and my votes could have been different had I played this earlier !

You get 3 votes ! (only counting top 3) so make sure you use them !

No more walls of text about destiny please, just nod that many folks where disappointed and move on !

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ut when are we going to have this "Drunk" night? Xmas daysoff / vacation for many of us.

Let's run a raid in Destiny?
Ha! We will need to find another multiplayer game. Maybe being sloshed out of my ass will make it more fun.

Sorry Nester carry on
smile.png
But in my book, "disappointing" is developer/publisher politically correct speak of "Lackluster uninspired piece meal mitigated disaster cash box sale in a 2 week window before they figure out it sucks"

Let me add another good game if I may.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Vorph

Let me add another good game if I may.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
Definitely picking that up from somewhere during the xmas sales. I'm pretty sure it's close to what I had originally hoped Murdered: Soul Suspect would be, but I didn't want to taint TVoEC with the still-too-fresh memory of the other game.

penalty_sl

shitlord
Gotta agree with the destiny hate. Biggest waste of 60$ for me was definitely that game. Played it for 2 weeks telling myself at some point this gets fun. Nope, it just progressively got worse.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ut will hate on me for this but the Halo Master Chief collection is way better then destiny lol.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I honestly regret buying the $90 version that included the season pass for Destiny because I'm never going back to that POS game. The post 20 game is so fucking boring and terrible. It amazes me how many people are putting up with that boring ass grind. There are much better games out.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Definitely picking that up from somewhere during the xmas sales. I'm pretty sure it's close to what I had originally hoped Murdered: Soul Suspect would be, but I didn't want to taint TVoEC with the still-too-fresh memory of the other game.
It is short but very much worth the play through and purchase.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ut will hate on me for this but the Halo Master Chief collection is way better then destiny lol.
I am sure the single player is worth it alone to revisit it all. Save Halo 1 and the library. Good lord. But they really need to fix the borked multiplayer.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
1) Dragon Age: Inquisition. This game has really grown on me
2) Dark Souls 2. Biased towards these games. Love them.
3) Sort of a tie between Divinity: OS / Wasteland 2
4) GTA 5

Honorable mention to Legend of Grimrock 2.

The game I was most eager to load up all year though was Tesla Effect. New Tex Murphy game. Under a killing moon is still probably one of my fondest gaming experiences of the 90s.

I'd put Watchdogs and Destiny as the most disappointing to me this year, even though I enjoyed them both for what they turned out to be. Overhype killed the enjoyment because they fell way short from their supposed scopes.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
1. Bayonetta 2
2. Wasteland 2
3. Elite
4. DA: I
5. Lords of the Fallen / Sunset Overdrive

*LoU and GTA5 PS4 would be on there but wanted to leave remasters off. If added on LoF and Sunset would be dropped off. Same as if I had played DkS2 but waiting for PS4 version
** Left off expansions and things I like but haven't spent enough time on like MK8, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm

Biggest disappointment: Destiny for sure

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am sure the single player is worth it alone to revisit it all. Save Halo 1 and the library. Good lord. But they really need to fix the borked multiplayer.
Ya waiting to move on so I can play with Sukik in Halo. It's a blast.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Gotta agree with the destiny hate. Biggest waste of 60$ for me was definitely that game. Played it for 2 weeks telling myself at some point this gets fun. Nope, it just progressively got worse.
I keep wondering when destiny is going to get good. Guess it won't.

sukik

I wonder how Larian's next game will play. They went from a 3rd(first?) person action RPG in Divinity II, strategy / dragon flight simulator in Dragon Commander and then to turn based strategy with Divinity:OS.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Euro games, including Divinity, always feel slightly "off" to me. No matter how good they are overall, there's always something I can't quite place that prevents them from being "great". The best way I can describe it is an overall lack of user friendliness or an illogical UI.