Retirement questions - any early retirees out there?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Those of you saying its a boring life obviously haven't lived it. There is plenty that can keep you busy that isn't work related and very rewarding.

OP you didn't give enough information. The key is recurring income. Either from investments, real estate, passive business income etc. This income needs to be reasonably sustainable and at a level that will account for inflation. So if its barely enough to live on now in 10 years you'll be back to work and likely out of the loop so starting over again.

As for how much you need that is dependent on your life style choices. Since you are just asking this now and only have 6 years I doubt you'll be able to meet your goal.

As for how its done, what we are doing:

1. Find a business that offers excellent residuals on products sold (alarm monitoring, insurance, cell phone, satellite tv etc)
2. Build said business
3. Hire and retain excellent staff
4. Repeat 1-3 and/or Invest excess in real estate rentals (preferably multi family units)
5. Once everything is paid off start socking money away
6. Live well below your means during 1-5

You can put some serious coin away and maintain a very healthy income stream without EVER touching any investments if you do it right.

TBH making money isn't the hard part, keeping the money you make, living below your means and making it work for you is what is difficult.

We have a manged portfolio which has done very well with providing solid, IMO excellent, returns while limiting risk. Something I've become much more concerned with over the years as opposed to just looking at the gains. Perspective changes when you have more to lose. At least it should.

I've watched people play the game, stupidly I might add, lose almost everything and then sit there with their heads hanging between their legs and near their balls. Which tends to happen when you invest thinking with the wrong appendage. The slightly larger gains of years past all gone when the margin call comes and their play deteriorated faster than single ply toilet paper in a Mexican tourist town. My all be it small sample size and limited experience has shown me that people tend to get a false confidence when they go it alone and I've watched a few close friends lose everything as they double down on whatever play they thought was the winning one. I'm amazed actually how many people will put almost everything they have into something. Diversification be damned. Chasing unrealistic and unsustainable returns to make up for time lost, gambling compulsion or some other reason(s). Funny thing is it always starts reasonably, generally ends bad. Many can make the money, most can't save it / invest it / keep it worth a damn over the long term.

My favorite investment is real estate. We have made a ton of money in real estate and once you get invested into the rental market, get everything properly manged, paid off and rented its a beauty to behold. The best money makers are multi family dwellings. You can make money with single family but its much harder and your downtime between tenants and repairs can really eat into your profits. I prefer Quad units or 6 families but will do duplex units in the right markets. The important thing is to remember the three L's of real estate and not to over saturate an area with your investment but keep them close enough to make them easier to manage. Keep the places nice and standards high and you generally will have less issues in the long run.

The best markets to be in are College towns (although this presents a different challenge at times) or near large / many hospitals and popular retirement areas (SE Florida).

College towns are an obvious ones but can be a pain in the ass if lucrative. Grad students are the best group to target here. I'll share a not so obvious one though and that is Hospitals. Especially areas with many or a couple of big ones. These areas tend to be GOLD MINES for the rental market and you get awesome tenets. Hook up with a couple of traveling nurse companies in these areas and you'll have waiting lists of high earning / single / usually woman professionals that generally take really good care of your property.

The bottom line is you need to secure continuous cash flow. I've found a good business that you can passively run while combining that with real estate investment in good markets can more than adequately provide a continuous stream of income, can be relatively recession resistant and still provide enough free cash for significant savings / other investment.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, boredom would be the least of my concerns. I wish I could retire at 40. 50 is probably the earliest I can realistically do it while maintaining the kind of income I want to have in retirement.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those of you saying its a boring life obviously haven't lived it. There is plenty that can keep you busy that isn't work related and very rewarding.
I'm at a point where I could work 20 hours a week for the rest of my life. Yet, I always find ways to work 50. I just get too bored not staying busy.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The most important thing is to maintain real hobbies and other interests. I've found that those adults that do nothing but work and devote themselves entirely to it never can get out of it. Practically become married to it. You just lose the groove of everything else and you end up in a spot where the only way you are comfortable is working. IMHO a fairly sad existence but something many successful people get trapped in.

Some things that have kept us busy or entertained with the extended free time:

Family
Travel (usually in the motor home)
Motorcycles (Cruiser types)
Learning Linux / Java for Android programming / hacking / developing
Bought a telescope and started getting into astronomy
Volunteer at the Food bank
Exercise (Home Gym / biking)
Water sports (boat, jet skis, scuba diving)
Gaming (Computer / 360)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Only way I would retire that early in life if I had millions in my bank account. At 41 I don't see that happening anytime soon so I don't plan to retire until I'm 60 at least. By then my house will be paid off or damn near close to it and the kids will be in college. Then I can play golf all day long and travel. That's what I plan to do when I retire.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The most important thing is to maintain real hobbies and other interests. I've found that those adults that do nothing but work and devote themselves entirely to it never can get out of it. Practically become married to it. You just lose the groove of everything else and you end up in a spot where the only way you are comfortable is working. IMHO a fairly sad existence but something many successful people get trapped in.
Considering I worked 20 hours a day, six days a week until I was 35, working 50 hours a week to me is like retirement.

One should do what makes one happy, and not let others define what makes them happy.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Does anyone really retire? All you are doing is spending your time on something else. If you are taking Lyrical's advice then retirement isn't even a concept.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Does anyone really retire? All you are doing is spending your time on something else. If you are taking Lyrical's advice then retirement isn't even a concept.
Don't take my advice, or anyone else's advice on this matter. Do what makes you happy. But man, it seems like everyone I know retires, just to unretire. Throw me in with the type that would be miserable not working at least 30 hours a week.

I'm doing what I want to do, not everyone has found that. I can understand the guy who dislikes working in a factory, and is counting down the days until he can retire and do something else.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My grandparents retired in their early 50's and after watching them do it, I would not do it myself. They had the same plans as everybody else, they were going to travel, get into their hobbies full time, etc. They bought an RV and a fishing boat and hit the road. After about 5 years they had camped in every state in the US, spent a shitload of time fishing, collecting agates, etc. and they weren't even 60 yet. They went back to work for like 3-4 years driving trucks (which they hated) and then re-retired but they weren't interested in fishing anymore so they sat around playing solitaire and watching soap operas all summer and then pulled their camper down to Arizona and did the solitaire and soap operas thing down there all winter with a bunch of other old people trying to waste their remaining years.

I don't think people realize how much time there is to fill when you don't have a job or a purpose in life any more and I don't think people think about the fact that if you retire at 50 you might be talking about 30+ YEARS of just fucking around. Relaxation is overrated and unfulfilling, turning your hobby into a full time job is a good way to ruin your hobby, and you generally have less money to spend than you did before retirement and whatever you spend your time doing costs money instead of making it. You don't have to quit your job to travel, it doesn't take as much time as you think, and you will have more fun traveling when you're young and in good shape than when you are old enough to get tired after walking for a couple hours. Hobbies are more enjoyable if you do them on weekends and in your spare time than if you're trying to make them fill up 8 hours a day. That is a great way to burn out and ruin your hobby.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If employers are still paying for healthcare by the time I get old, I'm sure as fuck still working for as long as I can. See the healthcare thread.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think people realize how much time there is to fill when you don't have a job or a purpose in life any more and I don't think people think about the fact that if you retire at 50 you might be talking about 30+ YEARS of just fucking around. Relaxation is overrated and unfulfilling, turning your hobby into a full time job is a good way to ruin your hobby, and you generally have less money to spend than you did before retirement and whatever you spend your time doing costs money instead of making it. You don't have to quit your job to travel, it doesn't take as much time as you think, and you will have more fun traveling when you're young and in good shape than when you are old enough to get tired after walking for a couple hours.
I can't stomach taking vacation any more, usually by Thursday I'm itching to get back to work.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
It really boils down to how happy you are with your job or career. I don't think anyone would want to "retire" from something they enjoy. For example, if someone paid you millions of dollars a year to fuck super models, would you really be counting down the days until you no longer had to "work"? I don't think anyone ever wants to "retire" from something they take immense pleasure from.

They key is to find something to do in life that you enjoy above all else. I know it's easier said than done, and as Thoreau said, most men lead lives of quiet desperation, and go to the grave with the song still in them. Still, shouldn't that be everyone's top priority....finding something to do with their lives they enjoy and find fulfilling? Otherwise you end up doing some shit you don't enjoy and being miserable, who wants that?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
They key is to find something to do in life that you enjoy above all else. I know it's easier said than done, and as Thoreau said, most men lead lives of quiet desperation, and go to the grave with the song still in them. Still, shouldn't that be everyone's top priority....finding something to do with their lives they enjoy and find fulfilling? Otherwise you end up doing some shit you don't enjoy and being miserable, who wants that?
If I am doing what I enjoy, why do I need to retire from it? At the end of the day, if you dread waking up to do what you do, find a way to do what you want to do. Life is too short. On your deathbed, will you be satisfied that you lived life the way that you wanted?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bingo. Don't wait until you are retirement age to start enjoying your life. If you dread going in to work every day, find another fucking job. I don't care if you have 10 years in on the pension plan or you are afraid doing what you like might pay a bit less, waiting to enjoy your life until you are old is bullshit, and there's no guarantee you're even going to get there.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't care if you have 10 years in on the pension plan or you are afraid doing what you like might pay a bit less, waiting to enjoy your life until you are old is bullshit, and there's no guarantee you're even going to get there.
That's why I always dumped 15% of my pay into my 401k. I didn't want to be beheld to any company for 35 years, and the way to do this was to make my 401k my primary source of funds in retirement. Pensions are nice to have, but happiness moreso. If the company treats me like shit, I'll just pack up and move to a better company, taking my retirement with me.