Retro and New Video Game Picture/Video Thread

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Man, I remember the first time I rented Actraiser when the SNES first launched. The graphics and music were so good! I was so hooked on expanding towns.
rrr_img_6995.png
rrr_img_6994.jpg
rrr_img_6996.jpg
rrr_img_6997.jpg
rrr_img_6998.png

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Fucking newbies. Here's a screenshot.

ZORK I: The Great Underground Empire
Copyright (c) 1981, 1982, 1983 Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
ZORK is a registered trademark of Infocom, Inc.
Revision 88 / Serial number 840726

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I dont recall paying 90$ bucks for Phantasy Star 2, but I played the shit out of that and all its sequels. I never got a hold of Phantasy Star 1 because of something like never being released in the US? To lazy to look it up. Shining Force Series took up a shit load of my time as well. Crystalis, too. Before the Genesis, it was all Dragon Warrior 1, 2, 3. Im sad that I just dont find games as addicting as those that I listed, anymore.
Phantasy Star(1) was on the Sega Master System, rather than the Genesis(I never played it either). The Genesis had Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4. PS 2 and 3 were fairly expensive cartridges at the time, they were like $69.99 as opposed to most Genesis games that were $49.99. When Phantasy Star 4 released it was absolutely ridiculous, it was $99.99 MSRP. I didn't end up getting PS4 until years later when it had been discounted, and never did beat it.

Phantasy Star 3 is probably my favorite console RPG of all time, so many branching paths. Have to choose a spouse, then you have a kid, play as that kid and choose another spouse eventually and play as their offspring. With all the choices of spouses, I think you can end up playing as 1 of 6 different characters at the end, each with their own unique storyline.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/02/th...asy-star-tree/

genesis-phantasy-star-3.jpg

PHANTASY_STAR3.jpg

Not sure why I liked the game more than even Final Fantasy 1-3(2 is the best FF BTW), but for some reason as a kid I liked the heavier sci-fi leanings of the early Phantasy Star games better than Final Fantasy, which didn't have a real heavy sci-fi element in the early games

Szlia

Sub topic: best cover art for terrible games.

Drop Rock Hora Hora on PC-Engine (Breakout clone... yep)

rrr_img_7118.jpg

Curse on Megadrive (terribad shoot-em up)

rrr_img_7119.jpg

Crell_sl

shitlord
Phantasy Star(1) was on the Sega Master System, rather than the Genesis(I never played it either). The Genesis had Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4. PS 2 and 3 were fairly expensive cartridges at the time, they were like $69.99 as opposed to most Genesis games that were $49.99. When Phantasy Star 4 released it was absolutely ridiculous, it was $99.99 MSRP. I didn't end up getting PS4 until years later when it had been discounted, and never did beat it.

Phantasy Star 3 is probably my favorite console RPG of all time, so many branching paths. Have to choose a spouse, then you have a kid, play as that kid and choose another spouse eventually and play as their offspring. With all the choices of spouses, I think you can end up playing as 1 of 6 different characters at the end, each with their own unique storyline.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/02/th...asy-star-tree/

genesis-phantasy-star-3.jpg

PHANTASY_STAR3.jpg

Not sure why I liked the game more than even Final Fantasy 1-3(2 is the best FF BTW), but for some reason as a kid I liked the heavier sci-fi leanings of the early Phantasy Star games better than Final Fantasy, which didn't have a real heavy sci-fi element in the early games
Phantasy Star 1 was my fist RPG as a kid. 2 was also awesome. 3 had great ideas, but the combat system fell flat for me. However Phantasy Star 4 is easily the best in the series. I put Phantasy Star 4 on the same level as final fantasy 7. Also, a Phantasy Star Generation 1 (you know, the Playstation 2 remake of PS1) was fan translated. You can find it at pscave.com

Also sorry no pic.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
That's what the American artists are good for....fucking up beautiful Japanese artwork.

Mire_sl

shitlord
My mom bought me Phantasy Star 3 for me at Compucenter for 109.99+ tax back in '91. She said that was the last video game she would ever buy me at a price like that.
Boy, was she wrong... FF3 anyone?

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I clearly remember that lol...Compucenter...that place was fucking expensive!

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember rolling into Babbages at our local mall to find Secret of Mana to be quite pricy during its time, like 69$ or 79$. However I was lucky enough to find a single copy a week later at our local Funcoland for alot less.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I remember rolling into Babbages at our local mall to find Secret of Mana to be quite pricy during its time, like 69$ or 79$. However I was lucky enough to find a single copy a week later at our local Funcoland for alot less.
Wow I had forgotten about Funcoland. That place was amazing for finding reasonably priced games during the days of 60 - 80 dollar cartridges. Years later, during the time they were going out of business, I drove almost an hour to one to pick up an NES lightgun so I could play Duck Hunt on the NES system I dug out of the attic.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Thread needs more Game Gear! A portable game system AND a mini color TV? OMG!
rrr_img_7178.jpg
rrr_img_7179.jpg
rrr_img_7180.jpg

rrr_img_7178.jpg

rrr_img_7179.jpg

rrr_img_7180.jpg