Retro Game Of The Month ~- CONTRA -~ NES - Feb

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Just wrapped up Contra with using the default weapon. Had to use a continue and two more lives to do it though. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as you can run through a lot of places without having to kill stuff. The hardest part of the shooting was the tanks/cars with spikes in the snow stage (level5?). You could barely finish them off before they run you over. Everything else took a bit longer but you could dodge and repeat the pattern.

I tired Contra Force and I guess I don't remember that game. It had terrible lag and I couldn't make it past the first level without dying due to lag. It was nowhere near as smooth and enjoyable as the first two so I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tired Contra Force and I guess I don't remember that game. It had terrible lag and I couldn't make it past the first level without dying due to lag. It was nowhere near as smooth and enjoyable as the first two so I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Contra Force wasn't even originally supposed to be a Contra. They just tried to ape off the Contra license and failed terribly(it's notoriously bad). Best to jump to Contra 3: The Alien War. Super C is also an option but it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Leon

<Silver Donator>
This shit was named Gryzor on Amstrad and commodore PCs. Shit was probly the pinnacle of side scrolling shooters for its time on those platforms.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Contra Force wasn't even originally supposed to be a Contra. They just tried to ape off the Contra license and failed terribly(it's notoriously bad). Best to jump to Contra 3: The Alien War. Super C is also an option but it's not for everyone.
Yep, looked into it a bit more after I played it. I beat super c after contra. Didn't go into the super NES or other consoles but I've beat those in the past and maybe they'll be a part of a future retro month.