Retro Game Of The Month ~- CONTRA -~ NES - Feb

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Just wrapped up Contra with using the default weapon. Had to use a continue and two more lives to do it though. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as you can run through a lot of places without having to kill stuff. The hardest part of the shooting was the tanks/cars with spikes in the snow stage (level5?). You could barely finish them off before they run you over. Everything else took a bit longer but you could dodge and repeat the pattern.

I tired Contra Force and I guess I don't remember that game. It had terrible lag and I couldn't make it past the first level without dying due to lag. It was nowhere near as smooth and enjoyable as the first two so I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tired Contra Force and I guess I don't remember that game. It had terrible lag and I couldn't make it past the first level without dying due to lag. It was nowhere near as smooth and enjoyable as the first two so I gave up after about 15 minutes.

Contra Force wasn't even originally supposed to be a Contra. They just tried to ape off the Contra license and failed terribly(it's notoriously bad). Best to jump to Contra 3: The Alien War. Super C is also an option but it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Leon

<Silver Donator>
This shit was named Gryzor on Amstrad and commodore PCs. Shit was probly the pinnacle of side scrolling shooters for its time on those platforms.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Contra Force wasn't even originally supposed to be a Contra. They just tried to ape off the Contra license and failed terribly(it's notoriously bad). Best to jump to Contra 3: The Alien War. Super C is also an option but it's not for everyone.
Yep, looked into it a bit more after I played it. I beat super c after contra. Didn't go into the super NES or other consoles but I've beat those in the past and maybe they'll be a part of a future retro month.