Retro Game of the Month February 2018: Secret of Mana (SNES)

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I was going to but the more videos i watched made the gameplay look too clunky and worse than the original. Reviews arent very good either. Then finally I downloaded the free ps4 theme and they butchered the music on it, so probably not.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I was excited about the remake, but very discouraged after reading this.

They included a clip where you can hear how badly they mangled the overworld forest theme. It literally sounds like they accidentally played 2 songs at once. Just awful.

It's also a crying shame that they didn't take the opportunity to update some of the more problematic mechanics. The fact that shops still don't tell you whether the equipment they sell is stronger than what you have equipped is a crime.

The graphics don't bug me, though. It's still really colorful and I like the character models, even though they're basically polished PS2 models. Very weird that the mouths don't move when they talk, though.

I'll certainly pick it up when it's on sale at a heavy discount, but I'm in no rush.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I also never realized there was a Final Fantasy Adventure remake available on mobile. It looks pretty great and I would consider paying the pretty hefty price (by mobile standards), but I've seen no mention of it being compatible with Bluetooth controllers. Having to use an on-screen virtual pad is pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
FFA was a great game, I loved it to death. I knew they made a remake in Sword of Mana, but after watching some youtube videos of it, I was discouraged. Seeing that new version is amazing.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I own and (as far as I remember) beat Sword of Mana, but I never realized until a week ago that it was a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure. It just felt like its own thing, like Legend of Mana. I started playing it for a few minutes and it's already too story-heavy.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So I played through this again, or most of it anyway, and boy has it just not aged well. Enemy AI is often pathetic, the ring menus are clunky and annoying to use, the higher charge time weapon skills are pretty questionable to even exist, most encounters can be won with just spell spam locking up animations, etc.

Still will always be one of my favorites, but boy was it rough to play in the modern era of games.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
So I played through this again, or most of it anyway, and boy has it just not aged well. Enemy AI is often pathetic, the ring menus are clunky and annoying to use, the higher charge time weapon skills are pretty questionable to even exist, most encounters can be won with just spell spam locking up animations, etc.

Still will always be one of my favorites, but boy was it rough to play in the modern era of games.
My thoughts exactly. I did continue a previous save file yesterday for an hour (had to use a guide to figure out where I was and what I had to do next), and the weird thing is despite the pretty big flaws I still find myself charmed by SOM. It's clunky and awkward and confusing but it still manages to feel good and it still keeps me wanting to play more.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
most encounters can be won with just spell spam locking up animations

I mean I've done that too, but it's flat out cheating. One of the reasons I prefer SD3, since you can't cast with the ring menus you can't stunlock. Although having to cast from the pause menu is so annoying that I've only ever used Angela once and just stick to pure phys parties + Carlie.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This month has been kicking my ass, so I've had hardly any time to work through SoM. I might continue playing it into next month in addition to whatever the next game happens to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user