Retro Game of the Month March 2018: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Playstation)

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
where do you guys snag the rom for this? all the ones that I have downloaded seem to be "corrupted files" when I try to load them on my psp. I have one of the 200X model PSP's and I went ahead and installed the 6.61 update and then the Pro-C software on it, but I can't seem to get a copy of SoTN to play on it. The ones I have downloaded I dumped into the "games" folder as it was just single BIN Files, but I didn't know if I needed to put them in further folders or really what to do with them.

I tried to buy this shit online and found out that my PSP was too old to properly access modern Wifi and I don't have a PS3 to connect it to, so figure this is my only route.

thanks in advance

Janx

<Silver Donator>
where do you guys snag the rom for this? all the ones that I have downloaded seem to be "corrupted files" when I try to load them on my psp. I have one of the 200X model PSP's and I went ahead and installed the 6.61 update and then the Pro-C software on it, but I can't seem to get a copy of SoTN to play on it. The ones I have downloaded I dumped into the "games" folder as it was just single BIN Files, but I didn't know if I needed to put them in further folders or really what to do with them.

I tried to buy this shit online and found out that my PSP was too old to properly access modern Wifi and I don't have a PS3 to connect it to, so figure this is my only route.

thanks in advance
Cant get epsxe and play it on PC?

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
While I'm waiting for my replacement copy of Dracula X Chronicles I decided to take out my PSP for a little spin. It's been years since I used it and I was surprised to discover the battery cover had popped off and the battery itself is swollen to the point where I can't fit it into the system any more. Sucks that I've got another part to replace if I want to stick with my plan of playing SOTN on a handheld.

Edit: Poked a tiny hole in the battery case to let the air escape, still doesn't work. I can use the system while it's plugged into the wall, even with no battery connected, but unfortunately the cord is a little finicky and if I rotate the jack even a little bit the system instantly turns off. Darned shame.

Last edited:

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
I will look into epsxe for PC. I actually own it for ps1 just didnt wanna dig out the console from storage. I had a lot of travel for work coming up where it would have been great for airport / plane time but I didnt start looking into this until the day before I had to leave

Will look into epsxe for the compy though, thanks

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

thanks in advance

Vimm's Lair: Preserving the Classics is best for classic ROMs

Therage

Vyemm Raider
As a heads up you can get it on Xbox live. I got this on the store for like 3$ six months ago. I played it then. Not ashamed to say this is the only game on my Xbox and since I beat it haven't turned it on.

The game is great. They have continued the good castlevania legacy on the Gameboy versions. I played a few of them after sotn and they continue the sotn legacy for the most part.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just beat it. Man the voice acting is soooo bad I love it. Totally forgot how out of place the music during the credits is.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The dialogue I heard the most (of course) was the intro with Richter by far as I learned the moveset in order to start with slightly higher overall stats.

It doesn't make a real difference, but hearing the "What is a man?.." speech over and over was oddly kind of worth it haha.

Siliconemelons

The dialogue I heard the most (of course) was the intro with Richter by far as I learned the moveset in order to start with slightly higher overall stats.

It doesn't make a real difference, but hearing the "What is a man?.." speech over and over was oddly kind of worth it haha.

You cared way too much to do the intro perfect lol - can't you do a rain and a few kicks and he's dead? It's just avoiding the fireballs and jumping around...

I say that likes it's simple, it's not- I have done it once just for fun and never cared to do it again any other playthrough lol.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I started SOTN over on Friday on an emulator. Well, I actually started it over several times due to emulator issues and wanting to beat the Drac without dying. I put a couple of hours into it and was having a grand time when the game crashed on me and forced me to restore my game. That soured the experience because I can't really enjoy a game knowing it can freeze up on me at any moment so now I'm debating starting over yet again on my PS3. Having said that, I played enough to remind myself of several things I love about this game (I took notes):

- The attention to detail is very impressive. There are tons of little things they could easily have gotten away with not doing. Dracula's life bar, for instance, is being clutched by a skeletal beast, adding some flair and atmosphere. Most of the following is just me fawning over details, by the way.
- Enemy death animations are great. When you beat Dracula at the beginning, the screen turns into a sepia-toned photograph which then burns up. But besides that, it seems like every enemy has its own specific death animation (or more), adding a ton of spectacle when they could have easily gotten away with generic explosions for every enemy.
- The color of your cape changes depending on which one you have equipped. I've always loved games where equipment changes reflect on your on-screen sprite. While I didn't make it far enough on Friday, you do eventually get a cape whose color you can customize (awesome), as well as a cape whose color changes and a cape that's essentially transparent. Also, the color of your cape ends up also being the color of your bat's wings when you get the bat transformation. I love all of that.
- While this technically just counts as competent game design, I like how the first enemy you encounter after Death steals your equipment drops a sword for you (short sword), and the next enemy drops a different sword (red rust). Right off the bat you learn that you will acquire a variety of weapons with different stats and advantages/disadvantages.
- The character portraits during dialogue scenes are gorgeous.
- There's a long corridor with pillars and windows in the background, and while you're advancing and defeating enemies you can see a giant floating eyeball looming outside the windows in the back, trying to peer inside. It's a detail that can fairly easily be missed altogether, but it does a great job of adding to the creepy atmosphere. (See image below.)
- In that same corridor, you encounter Diplocephalus, a large reptilian creature whose tail ends in the form of a maiden (who flashes her butt crack when defeated). The enemy designs in general are fantastic, and they didn't shy away from including a little fan service.
- If you explore, you will find a telescope you can look through, foreshadowing your meeting with the oarsman. As far as I know this changes nothing, but it's a nice detail. Heck, I'm even impressed with the behavior of the birds just under the floor in the same room.
- In the underground cave, there are pools of water covered in a thin layer of ice which crumbles away when you step on it. Yet another detail you wouldn't necessarily notice unless you were paying attention.

saturn-jdiff3.png

I guess I'm just doing a lot of fanboy gushing here, but there are few games that consistently impress me as much as Symphony of the Night does. Heck, I didn't even mention the outstanding soundtrack! In a way I almost regret starting to play it again, as it's giving me doubts that Bloodstained will be able to achieve the same level of attention to detail. Anyway, if I decide to start over yet again, expect another update full of more observations.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Played for just a little while today, first time ever. Harder than I expected!

Siliconemelons

Played for just a little while today, first time ever. Harder than I expected!

jump- attack before landing, then attack instantly again once landed. The jump does not need to be a "full" jump.

This helps you get past the weak ass weapons part of the game... I forgot if this only works with 1h slashers... - it just a natural thing I do now when playing so I really dont recall the limitations to this animation "glitch" exploit. Not only do you get 2 hits, but it lets you use slow / high dmg weapons better... that is... well until you get the above mentioned sword in the library (or inverted?) - I say though beat the game once through without that sword, it really does almost break the game.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
The weapons that were mentioned earlier were the shield rod (normal play through I think?) and the alucard shield (inverted). Shield rod when you mash circle/square uses some of your MP to summon the shields power with each one having a different effect, alucards being pretty much invuln and anything that touches you takes 255 dmg/sec.

I remember having this and I would ask my parents back then if I could use the modem so I could lookup the latest castle images in the hopes of figuring out where I had missed different paths. I think my only dislike of the game is the way they did the map exploration %, some of those stupid squares were almost impossible unless you moon jumped (? whatever his repeatable high jump was called) in the perfect place you couldn't even come close to maxing out the map.

Also, the soul steal spell is OP as fuck.

And that giant zombie raining, tentacle having, laser beam shooting circular brain thing was badass

Janx

<Silver Donator>
For those new to the game, some weapons have special moves (fireball motion, tap button fast, back/foward button etc..). One of my fav early weapons was the Chakram that drops from the big guy with the buzzsaw/chain thing. Farmed up two of those one for each hand then could send out 4 ranged attacks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I started up my PS3 and saw that my digital copy of SOTN was linked to my long-since-expired PlayStation Plus account, so I dug out my original PS1 disc and started over yet again. I'm not sure what I did differently this time, but the beginning of the game was a lot easier. Enemies that took two hits when I played on Friday now took one and I was able to breeze through much of the beginning.

Here are a few more delightful details:
- You can buy a "reversible" cape from the librarian. That's not just flavor text, you can actually turn it inside-out by accessing the "system" menu. Neat!
- There's a point where several spear-wielding enemies are safely surrounded by impenetrable rock walls. However, by pushing a crate against a hole that water is running out of you can flood their enclosed area, causing them to panic and drown.
- Speaking of water, initially you take damage when immersed in water. You can walk safely in knee-high water, but if you duck your head goes under water and you start to take damage again.
- Despite being a 2D game and looking all the better for it (most 3D PS1 games have not aged well), there is some good use of polygons to create more immersive backgrounds, such as the inside of a chapel where stained glass windows shift in perspective as you move through the room.
- There's a confessional booth where you can sit down and be visited by a ghost of a priest or a confessor. These can be either "bad" where they will cause spikes to protrude from the walls and damage you, or "good" where the priest has a chance of leaving you grape juice to add to your inventory.
- There's an adorable mouse who scurries and hops around in a crawl space.

Siliconemelons

I always wished that the bosses had higher difficulty... but mostly because I want "more sotn!

For that, play the Gameboy Metroidvanias - even circle of the moon, great games.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Just like I do every time I play this, I accidentally beat the game when I just meant to access more of the map. I guess it's worth seeing the alternate ending, though. Feel kinda bad for Richter.

If anybody makes the same mistake I did and forgets about the metal grate under the library, you can get Soul of Bat there via Mist form. Remembering that would have saved me some time.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I always wished that the bosses had higher difficulty... but mostly because I want "more sotn!

For that, play the Gameboy Metroidvanias - even circle of the moon, great games.
I don't know if it's because of the initial stat boost or not, but most of the bosses I've beat have not put up much of a fight, compared to what I remember.

Also, like an idiot I went and spent money on a bunch of spells, having forgotten that you can access them just by doing the proper input. I learned this by accidentally doing Soul Steal, which I hadn't bought (but which is also the only spell I care about). It was a waste, but, on the bottom left of the map where the Ferryman takes you, there's a candle that's a little high up that gives you $2,500. It's pretty close to an exit on the left so this seems to be a good place to grind for money if one were so inclined. Are there any better spots?

I can also vouch for the handheld Castlevania games. I've beat most of them except for what I think was the last DS one. They've got great collection-based mechanics that are pretty engaging.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Dawn of Souls is worth it if you liked aria of sorrows- and the Alucard et al mode is cool. It's also a fun story- even if it's a wash just to make another game.

I didn't care for portrate of ruin- but I did like order of ecclecia

POR is worth a playthrough but imo not a replay or a 100%