Retro Game of the Month?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Been a long while since we've done one of these. Any interest? I just started playing Front Mission 3 on PS1 emulator. Definitely as cool of a game as I remember.

^ best site to find retro ROMs and emulators. They've got literally almost everything. Look here for inspiration.

So yeah, nominations for game? Then in a week I'll make a poll.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm near to beating Ultima Underworld , which I never played before and it came out in 1992. It supposedly is the first true 3d dungeon ever and inspired doom?

Its a strange experience playing a game this old, but back then it was mind blowing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
How many of you guys have played Final Fantasy V? If there's a decent amount of the community here that hasn't played it, that would be a great one to go through. The nuanced job system means there's a lot of ways to play the game, which means we would have a lot to discuss. Members that have already played the game could do a Four Job Fiesta (class restricted) run, which can be even more interesting than playing the classic way.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually tried something like this last year with the NES, playing and mostly completing all the games the start with ‘A’. I eventually got burnt out but I’d be open to doing a game weekly or monthly.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Nintendo Switch Online gave access to a bunch of NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GB, etc. Lately I've been banging out Crystalis since its on there but I was playing through Super Marios Bros 3, Super Metroid, Dr. Mario, and others. I picked up some old ones and Turbografx-16 games on the Wii-U's virtual console also before that disappears soon.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nintendo Switch Online gave access to a bunch of NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GB, etc. Lately I've been banging out Crystalis since its on there but I was playing through Super Marios Bros 3, Super Metroid, Dr. Mario, and others. I picked up some old ones and Turbografx-16 games on the Wii-U's virtual console also before that disappears soon.

Crystalis, Kid Icarus, and Journey to Silius are pretty much the last NES games I still have to play. Hard to believe that's all that's left but I played everything else I had any interest in over the decades.

Szlia

Crystalis is very playable. I think one of two things are somewhat confusing in the progression, but as a whole it is pretty smooth. Kid Icarus is abominable as it is plagued by the dark side of early '80s japanese game design: cryptic stuff and dumb and imbalanced stuff just because it's "funny". There is a level select cheat code for it, so you can at least check what the game has to offer. Journey to Silius is neat, but very hard.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Crystalis is very playable. I think one of two things are somewhat confusing in the progression, but as a whole it is pretty smooth. Kid Icarus is abominable as it is plagued by the dark side of early '80s japanese game design: cryptic stuff and dumb and imbalanced stuff just because it's "funny". There is a level select cheat code for it, so you can at least check what the game has to offer. Journey to Silius is neat, but very hard.

Yeah, Crystalis looks really good. Always had an interest in it because I love the (similar) Startropics games. Also Crystalis had the balls to say "the world ended in a nuclear war in 1997" in like 1989. Always found that concept interesting, the "this is the far future of our world after an apocalypse happened" concept.

Kid Icarus was made by my main man Gunpei Yokoi and Nintendo R&D 1 alongside the original Metroid. Which is easily my least-favorite Metroid, but still, Kid Icarus kind of being a "sister game" to Metroid is enough that I pretty much have to do it.

Journey to Silius started out as a Terminator licensed game, and would have been MUCH better than any of the actual Terminator games we got. I guess the licensers mandated certain things out of a Terminator game and JTS wasn't meeting the mandates, so it got canned and repurposed into a different game altogether. I'm probably wrong but I think one of the mandates was that Terminator games needed to mostly take place in 1984, and JTS is entirely set in the future war. You can still see it in the game's visuals, with backgrounds right out of the Terminator future war and various enemies/bosses that look just like the machines from Terminator (usually with a different head or something to prevent a lawsuit). I hear someone in the ROM hacking community made a JTS hack that changes all the enemy sprites back to their original Terminator forms.