RetroPie/EmulationStation

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone ever set one of these up before?

This was a plan I've had for a long time, but finally decided to do it. I bought a RaspberryPi Model B+ kit from Amazon (came with case, wifi dongle, hdmi cable, power supply, tiny little baby heatsink, 8GB MicroSD card - $60) and went to work. Luckily for me, two projects exist that make this really easy:

The RetroPie Project | petRockBlog

EmulationStation

Got this thing working the other day and it's a blast!

It's hooked up to my TV with 4 USB controllers (I use PS3 + bluetooth). Right now it's running NES, SNES, Master SyStem, Genesis games flawlessly - with every game ever created on the RPi. I also have N64 "working" but the RPi can't handle it so well. I think the emulator for N64 is also shitty.

From what I've heard it can run PSX games pretty flawlessly as well, but you need to find a good BIOS for the RPi and the games take up a lot of space.

Didn't know where else to post this, seemed cool to me. My family loved it. Much better than those knock-off systems they sell at walgreens now. And you can save games!

rrr_img_83308.jpg

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Made one of these myself. And this year for christmas gifts I am making and giving out a few. Super easy to make and setup. And very cheap for what it can do.

As for N64 emulation, some games require you to tweak some stuff, there is a list on the retropie forum on what needs what by other users.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah with the N64 stuff I wasn't really that concerned - it's really a pipe dream for that stuff to work anyways, plus we have an actual system here with most of the games we want.

I already had to replace a library in Mupen to get it to even run, something in the latest Retropie installation broke it (seg fault).

I too thought about creating these as gifts, however my concern is that because they're linux based and require a slightly greater than average computer skill-set to do things (ssh, scp, linux, etc) I would be worried that I would have to fix/update these things all the time. Also adding a controller could be a bitch, stuff like that.

I still might do it though.