Returnal (PS5) (April 30th)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I gotta' say...the PS5 controller is really fucking cool. I've only put about 20 min into the game today, since I really need to get some work done, but looking forward to playing more later.

Yeah they did a fantastic job with the new controller feedback features here. Including half trigger haptic feedback for firing modes :)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So initial thoughts:

1) Game is fucking gorgeous.
2) The way they are setting up this story as a rogue lite is cool as shit.
3) Sound and music (As noted in the reviews) is FANTASTIC.
4) 4k60 gun play is spot on.
5) Maps are huge and sometimes very confusing.
6) Online is quirky and fun - got a message that one of my friends is stuck in the Wilderness over a notification :p
7) There is a very deep system here - and can get confusing but I am only an hour in.
8) Protip: Do not ever try to Swim.
9) The atmosphere, Sci Fi Aspects, Story, and sense of foreboding are some of the best I have seen to date in a Sci Fi / Horror game.

I am looking forward to playing more. It really is a AAA game and not a traditional Rogue Lite Indie in every sense of the word. Now, with that said:

1A) I am old. It will most likely only be a matter of time before I get frustrated and play Rocket League.
2A) I am old. But I am not doing too shabby against the monsters thus far.
3A) I am old. I expect to beat this sometime in the year 2034 when there is a PS7 remake.
4A) I am old.
5A12 Niner) I spend 99 cents in actuality - but I honestly would not have been upset with a full price purchase. There is a quality in development here that goes beyond what we normally see and I think this company deserves to be rewarded.

Also, where are my HDR settings? Does it support it? It still looks very colorful on my OLED - but I only have SDR options....
GD it, I can just feel the money leaving my wallet the next time I turn on my PS5. I STILL HAVE TO FINISH LAST EPOCH, ASSHOLES. Plus I will get frustrated and have to replay areas about a dozen times because I die in these games, I always do: It's just part of how I play, and fuck these people for making a beautiful, atmospheric, super intriguing game with a great soundtrack and story that I want to play that I know I am never going to finish because the rules are set up against my personality and preferred playstyle from the start. It's like looking that super-hot crazy chick and knowing its going to end in heartbreak but you're going to walk over there anyway. FUCK.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I caved and bought it. Game is freaking amazing so far and this genre is not usually all that appealing to me. I’ve only played an hour but loving the story, atmosphere, and mystery of it all. Haptics and sound are incredible. Haven’t hit frustration yet with dying and ‘starting over’ and hope I never do. Working around the no saves right now by using rest mode and suspending my current run. Entry is steep at $70+ but it’s only ten bucks more than usual so who really cares.

• 1Like

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imo first game in history of gaming that put the control rumble to good use.. REALLY GOOD USE!

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This game looks amazing but I’ll have to pass. First I’m not great at FPS and this is apparently quite hard. Second I’m not a fan of rogue like games although how they weave the system within the narrative sounds cool. Third the game is $89 in Canada which is a bit much for something to take a chance on.

Guess I’m going to have to wait for Ratchet and Clank for o really what the PS5 can do. Luckily that game looks insane also. :)

FPS? Everything looked 3rd person from what i saw

spronk

FPS noob
ut must really love the game he msg'd me this morning on PSN telling me i have to buy it lol

i'm just not a big rogue-lite guy, and i get super frustrated playing dark souls type games where dying to a boss means you make zero progress and you have to refight all the trash back to them. game looks great but gamepass has sorta ruined me on buying games at MSRP, if I don't love the game I feel shitty for paying full price and Returnal feels like a 50/50 game for me on whether I'll like the actual mechanics or not.

If you are on the fence Gamestop is offering it as a G2L game until sunday close, buy it today and return it (opened) for $69.99 trade credit up until sunday afternoon. If you were nuts you could even probably finish the game in that time but i rarely play games for more than 2-3 hours a day anymore

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
FPS? Everything looked 3rd person from what i saw
I meant any shooting game, FPS, 3rd person etc...as I am old and slow and inaccurate whether with a controller or mouse/keyboard. Getting old sucks. :)

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Made it to the first boss and the temptation to use short cuts is there, but then you don’t have the items and power. Got the boss down the first time to 30% and died. (Again lol) so taking a small break. Boss seemed to have some familiar patterns so should be able to memorize those by the tenth death

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
My hatred of roguelikes is making it hard to really enjoy this. Gunplay is good, atmosphere, graphics, music, etc are all excellent, the controller's haptic feedback is fucking amazing and I thought that I'd never give a shit about that. All that said, losing everything but story progression items and weapon perks fucking sucks. I love the Souls games and Bloodborne - at least you can slow grind your stats up if you're stuck on something, and you don't lose your gear. Having your health reset every death on this is just a cheap ass way to make me grind out the whole biome again if I want to have max health against a boss. Maybe there's some stat related boosts you get to keep later on, but so far it's put a bad taste in my mouth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My hatred of roguelikes is making it hard to really enjoy this. Gunplay is good, atmosphere, graphics, music, etc are all excellent, the controller's haptic feedback is fucking amazing and I thought that I'd never give a shit about that. All that said, losing everything but story progression items and weapon perks fucking sucks. I love the Souls games and Bloodborne - at least you can slow grind your stats up if you're stuck on something, and you don't lose your gear. Having your health reset every death on this is just a cheap ass way to make me grind out the whole biome again if I want to have max health against a boss. Maybe there's some stat related boosts you get to keep later on, but so far it's put a bad taste in my mouth.
Getting buffed HP doesn't seem that difficult, granted this comes from only watching many playthroughs. When you're going through the first biome, just go back to your ship when you need to heal. Then pick up the healing items so they go towards your max hp. Lots of other stuff via parasites / augments that will boost your hp. Almost always worth clearing out the first biome (aside from boss) before taking a shortcut back to where you died.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Did you know going into it that it was billed as a roguelike?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Did you know going into it that it was billed as a roguelike?
I was told roguelite. I was assuming more stats carried over between deaths I suppose. I bought digital so they got their support from me. I guess I'm finally getting old, because every time I die with nothing to show for it I just think "well that was time wasted."

• 2Like

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I was told roguelite. I was assuming more stats carried over between deaths I suppose. I bought digital so they got their support from me. I guess I'm finally getting old, because every time I die with nothing to show for it I just think "well that was time wasted."
Agreed, stat progression persisting between runs would have been nice. There are however, other things that remain through death that will help.

Ether
Research
Weapon traits
Item pool unlocks (won't keep the item but it will show up in future runs)
Xenoglyph Ciphers
Consumable slots
Progression items tied to the story
Bosses you've defeated can be skipped
There are some permanent checkpoints after each act

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
decided to watch a bit of Cohh's playthrough to get an idea of it but now I'm having a hard time not watching it. Cool game

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Geez I suck. Been working on the first boss and finally had a decent setup going for a real kill attempt. Found the boss room for that cycle and was about to go in and give it a go but then noticed a star door on the map. “What’s this?” I thought to myself and proceeded inside the star door only to get completely stomped by some big beefy guys in a horde mode arena or something. It was awesome and deflating at the same time lol.

tldr: don’t go in the star doors

• 1Worf

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally defeated 1st boss after a day with a lvl4 electropylon and overload bolts. Whew!

• 1Solidarity