Returnal (PS5) (April 30th)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I found a way past this boss; I am just not going to turn on my PS5 for a while. I have several Real Life frustrating things going on, and I am not going to pay full price for an alluring but ultimately frustrating and unsatisfying digital companion piece for them. In this case, art shouldn't mirror real life.

spronk

FPS noob
Saw a few hours of Lirik and another person streaming the game today, pretty glad I didn't buy this. Just doesn't feel like the kind of game I'd enjoy playing, although visually its drop dead gorgeous.

The mystery/story layout of the game is sorta interesting in that X-Files/Control kind of way, but I REALLY didn't like the story. Like... at all. I think I'd probably be super pissed at the ending if I played. I didn't watch a lot so I probably don't really understand it all.

I really didn't like the bullet shooting hell aspect of the game, I know thats a real Housemarquee brand of thing to do with stuff like Resogun but I don't like that kind of boss fighting. Just curious if people found this like Doom (2016) in combat.

One thing is, I would NOT use rest mode to "save" your game. If the game patches and your PS5 has auto patch on, it will patch the game and shut it down in the middle of the night and you will completely lose your progress, lol. Why they didn't put in any sort of save mechanism is baffling and annoying, i don't have time to deal with that kinda shit anymore in games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

The lack of save is indeed very odd. Maybe it has to do with the way the world is generated ? But still, it feels like a technical hurdle that should be possible to overcome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I think the devs made a statement saying they've seen people requesting the feature, but dont have anything to say about it yet. And the number of "ITS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD" fucking weirdos in the thread was wild. Like we don't live in a world where literally every roguelike (and even Rogue, I think) had Delete on Death Autosaves so you could stop mid-run (or if you PS5 crashes you can pick it back up as well).

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man this game is hard! I can’t even get past the fist biome. I’ll get some good weapons, high integrity, and the astronaut toy, and still wipe to the Phrike boss on phase 3. On to cycle 293762 haha

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man this game is hard! I can’t even get past the fist biome. I’ll get some good weapons, high integrity, and the astronaut toy, and still wipe to the Phrike boss on phase 3. On to cycle 293762 haha
The worst part about phase 3 seems to be when Phrike does the expanding radial attack, but then teleports right to you for a bitch slap, gotta have dodge ready. =)

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This shit is hard. I felt like I blew through Demon's Souls, but this game is giving me a run for my money. Still haven't beaten Phrike and I don't have a strong desire to keep playing. Maybe this weekend I'll give it another real go.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
sxo02cq7z5x61.jpg

• 1Worf

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Cohh's first ending run lasted about14 hours or so. Just say no to like 99% of malignant items

Last edited:

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I wanted to pre-order, I waited.
I wanted to buy when it came out, I waited.
After reading this tread and watching a few streams, I'm glad i did not buy this. Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks amazing, but I'm not a huge fan of roguelike games. They are made for people who want to have perfect runs. I still want to play it but not for $70.
I think it'll go down in price or eventually be free on PS+ (may take a while). or i'll pick up a used copy somewhere.
I wish you all luck that picked it up and are playing it, just not what I look for in a game

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
lol if you hook up a keyboard to your PS5 you can type in dev cheats for Returnal, a patch is coming today I think that disables these cheats haha

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
ppl reporting latest patch (today) corrupting saves, may wanna turn off auto patch

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well shit. I played today after the update and actually finally beat the fist biome boss. Put it in rest mode when I got to the new biome. Am I screwed or should I just not log in until the new patch is out? I never got any errors when playing earlier today.
Edit: looks like I’m ok. My save file doesn’t show 0kb. I copied my save to the cloud, turned off auto sync save, force quit the game and then deleted/reinstalled to revert back to the safe patch. Lost my current run but better than losing my 12 hour game file that I just now managed to beat Phrike lol.

Last edited:

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
lol if you hook up a keyboard to your PS5 you can type in dev cheats for Returnal, a patch is coming today I think that disables these cheats haha
They need to keep those cheats in so game journalists can finish the game LOL

• 1Worf

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I finally beat Phrike. Figuring out that the dash is literally invincible really helped. I kept trying to dash around things, but just dashing through them was the key.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am in an abusive relationship with this game. Beat biome 2 boss on first try (for some perspective Phrike took me like 12 tries or something embarrassingly bad). Hit up biome 3 and got obliterated by some flying drone things shortly thereafter. I’m deflated that I’m “starting over”, but at the same time I can’t wait to try another run tomorrow.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am in an abusive relationship with this game. Beat biome 2 boss on first try (for some perspective Phrike took me like 12 tries or something embarrassingly bad). Hit up biome 3 and got obliterated by some flying drone things shortly thereafter. I’m deflated that I’m “starting over”, but at the same time I can’t wait to try another run tomorrow.
At least you can skip directly to biome 3, if you want. No need to fight the bosses again, but could be useful to farm up items / HP in biome 1

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Got to Assault rifle level 4 - gained about as much health as I could, have the perfect artifacts, ready to rock Phrike.

After an hour and and getting a little tired, mistakenly go through the gold door - get my ass kicked, died.

I am too old for this shit.

This game makes Dark Souls look like story mode in Witcher 3.