RFC EQ Emu Server

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you play on an official FoH EQ Emu server?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

incandenza

N00b
Is large scale PVP on emu servers actually solid? Assuming good server hardware and network connection, would there be issues with warping, lag, etc or is it fairly stable and responsive? How many players could you expect to handle in a single zone before problems occur?

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's crazy how often these threads get derailed by the 4 rabid pvp fanatics that frequent here.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nothing crazy about it at all. The average pvp EQ player is worth 5-6 non-pvp EQ players, so it makes perfect sense that 4 pvpers could take over something as simple as a thread ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ "Risk" Style

Server starts Old World only

3 Teams:

Fay Team- All Fay characters begin in Felwithe. Includes High Elves, Half Elves, Wood Elves, Gnomes, and Dwarves. Team Fay “owns” Felwithe, Gfay, Butcherblock, and Dagnor’s. Team Fay also begins the game “occupying” Crushbone and Unrest.

Dark Team- All Dark characters begin in Neriak. Includes Dark Elves, Trolls, Ogres, and Iksar. Team Dark “owns” Neriak, Nektulos, and Lavastorm. Team Dark also begins the game “occupying” Najena and Sol A.

Human Team- All Human characters begin in Qeynos. Includes Humans, Barbarians, Erudites, and Halflings. Team Human "owns" Qeynos, Qeynos Hills, and Everfrost Peaks. Team Human also begins the game “occupying” Blackburrow and Permafrost.

All zones not noted above begin as “neutral.”

If your team owns a zone, it is heavily stationed with NPC guards and "death squads" from your own faction that are hostile to all other factions. Travel through a zone owned by another faction will be possible but dangerous. PvPing in a zone owned by another faction will be very difficult due to NPC guard assist.

You can only "own" the zones you start with, but most other zones can be occupied. Occupied zones have guards from your faction at zonelines and a small "contingency" of NPCs from your faction somewhere within the zone. PvPing in a zone occupied by another faction will be challenging but possible. Succinctly- you can do it, but you better bring friends.

Top tier zones- Guk, Sol B, Mistmoore, and Kedge- cannot be occupied by any team (these are the big battleground zones).

Aside from those, just about every other neutral zone can be taken over and occupied by the teams. Your team can occupy a zone by finding the right contingency of neutral NPCs within the zone, defeating them, and installing a faction of NPCs from your own contingency. Another team can take over a zone you occupy by killing your NPCs and installing their own.

Occupying certain zones (or combinations of zones) grants your team advantages. Does your team hold the Karanas? You get the “Breadbasket” benefit, which gives you more NPC guards in every zone you occupy. Do you occupy Rivervale? All members of your team get “Blessing of the Vale,” which gives you a constant Regeneration buff. Occupy Freeport, and everyone on your team gets the “Trade City” benefit, which deposits a certain amount of plat in every team member’s bank each hour. Etc.

Each team has a color: Fay- Green; Dark- Red; Human- Blue. The server website features a big geopolitical map of Norrath showing (by color), which team controls which zones.

When one team manages to occupy every zone that can be occupied, that team wins and the server resets.

Limit of 2 accounts per IP- no exceptions. You can box (but with just 2 PCs), you can play with your wife, whatever you want- but you can’t have more than 2 connects per IP.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
EQ "Risk" Style

Server starts Old World only

3 Teams:

Fay Team- All Fay characters begin in Felwithe. Includes High Elves, Half Elves, Wood Elves, Gnomes, and Dwarves. Team Fay “owns” Felwithe, Gfay, Butcherblock, and Dagnor’s. Team Fay also begins the game “occupying” Crushbone and Unrest.

Dark Team- All Dark characters begin in Neriak. Includes Dark Elves, Trolls, Ogres, and Iksar. Team Dark “owns” Neriak, Nektulos, and Lavastorm. Team Dark also begins the game “occupying” Najena and Sol A.

Human Team- All Human characters begin in Qeynos. Includes Humans, Barbarians, Erudites, and Halflings. Team Human "owns" Qeynos, Qeynos Hills, and Everfrost Peaks. Team Human also begins the game “occupying” Blackburrow and Permafrost.

All zones not noted above begin as “neutral.”

If your team owns a zone, it is heavily stationed with NPC guards and "death squads" from your own faction that are hostile to all other factions. Travel through a zone owned by another faction will be possible but dangerous. PvPing in a zone owned by another faction will be very difficult due to NPC guard assist.

You can only "own" the zones you start with, but most other zones can be occupied. Occupied zones have guards from your faction at zonelines and a small "contingency" of NPCs from your faction somewhere within the zone. PvPing in a zone occupied by another faction will be challenging but possible. Succinctly- you can do it, but you better bring friends.

Top tier zones- Guk, Sol B, Mistmoore, and Kedge- cannot be occupied by any team (these are the big battleground zones).

Aside from those, just about every other neutral zone can be taken over and occupied by the teams. Your team can occupy a zone by finding the right contingency of neutral NPCs within the zone, defeating them, and installing a faction of NPCs from your own contingency. Another team can take over a zone you occupy by killing your NPCs and installing their own.

Occupying certain zones (or combinations of zones) grants your team advantages. Does your team hold the Karanas? You get the “Breadbasket” benefit, which gives you more NPC guards in every zone you occupy. Do you occupy Rivervale? All members of your team get “Blessing of the Vale,” which gives you a constant Regeneration buff. Occupy Freeport, and everyone on your team gets the “Trade City” benefit, which deposits a certain amount of plat in every team member’s bank each hour. Etc.

Each team has a color: Fay- Green; Dark- Red; Human- Blue. The server website features a big geopolitical map of Norrath showing (by color), which team controls which zones.

When one team manages to occupy every zone that can be occupied, that team wins and the server resets.

Limit of 2 accounts per IP- no exceptions. You can box (but with just 2 PCs), you can play with your wife, whatever you want- but you can’t have more than 2 connects per IP.
I forget which, but one of the PVP emu's I used to play on did something similar to this. It was pretty fun and was, imo, the best season on that server. A lot of the players whinged about hardcoded teams though so they never really revisited it. Honestly, as a more casual player on these servers I really preferred the hardcoded teams as I didn't have a crew to run with. That being said hardcoded teams with a super low population can kind of suck for the wolves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I forget which, but one of the PVP emu's I used to play on did something similar to this. It was pretty fun and was, imo, the best season on that server. A lot of the players whinged about hardcoded teams though so they never really revisited it. Honestly, as a more casual player on these servers I really preferred the hardcoded teams as I didn't have a crew to run with. That being said hardcoded teams with a super low population can kind of suck for the wolves.

This server 100% uses ideas that have been on some of the best emu servers (no need to reinvent the wheel) but nobody has ever put these ideas together like this.

The whole premise is sustainability. You've got to let the wolves get theirs, but you build things in a way that encourages pvp away from "home" quadrants. This prevents new players from getting run off the server almost immediately after starting. Each team has a pathway to get to the mid 30s in a reasonably (but not totally) safe environment. The higher you get, the more dangerous things become.

As you get higher the natural flow of the game brings you into a collision course with other teams.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haynar

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess what I would like to do is like a P99 without corruption. I don’t have time for neat tricks in any way.
Having seen it all.

The main element you need is oversight.

Trust, but verify. If you can’t see everything a GM/CSR person is doing, you can’t see if they have become corrupted. You have to be smarter than they are. You have to guess how they are going to get away with bad conduct, and figure out how to monitor it. Real time monitoring works better. Setting up seeing all GM commands used going to discord helps. Also, not letting GMs know what you can see, gets you seeing first hand when they start to do too much. Even watching when GMs use /corpse command. You have to watch it all.

There are a limited number of knowledgeable people running eqemu servers. Build a partnership with the kind of people you want to draw resources from.

Avoid anything pvp. It draws a higher percentage of the high maintenance type of players.

Then figure out how you want to spend your time. Do you want to spend 80% of you time chasing multiboxers? Then make it a single box server. The rules will dictate what you are going to spend your time policing.

Good luck.

H

Last edited:

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
I wouldn't mind seeing this, but not sure how much time I would have to play. Would be cool to see an FoR server though.