RIP Games for Windows Live

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/19/463...ding-july-2014

Games for Windows Live will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. Although it is available through Steam, Age of Empires Online requires features of the Games for Windows Live service. You can continue to enjoy all the features of Age of Empires Online as the service will remain 100% operational until July 1, 2014 when the server will shut down.
Won't be sad to see this fucking abortion of a service gone.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Makes you wonder who'd really bet on Microsoft solutions, if they don't set the world on fire they shitcan it and leave customers customers high & dry.

Rime

<Donor>
The worst gaming 'service' I have ever used. It made playing Fallout 3 a masochistic endeavor that I only slogged through due to my fanatical devotion to the series. THREE times before completing the game, GFWL erased my progress and I had to start over.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Because it was fucking annoying as shit, that's why. Try playing any of the Batman games on Steam, what a mess.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I never purchased a game that required whatever its called but why was it so heinous?
It was basically a completely unnecessary service from the start, Microsoft originally tried to charge PC players to use it ala Xbox Live on the 360, so if you bought a GFWL game on Steam or any other service, you'd start the game, in that service, then you'd have to get your code and put it into GFWL to activate the game. So basically it was like having Steam plus a crappy version of steam on every GFWL title. GFWL servers are shit, by the way, so games like Dark Souls, whatever Bioshock 2's multiplayer, whatever, all had to use GFWL rather than integrating Steamworks and Steams' multiplayer server infrastructure. And GFWL is easily hacked and has never had any support from Microsoft to police or ban hackers in any way. GFWL was a service Microsoft started thinking they could suck a subscription fee out of PC gamers to have, when they rebelled against it, Microsoft left it running and went out and recruited games to sell on the service and to utilize the service, but gave it zero support in any way from then on.

Then you have as mentioned above that game saves would be deleted by it (never happened to me but happened to lots of others) and now the fact that the service will be shut down completely, which will probably mean Dark Souls on my Steam account is no longer playable online after next year, you know, a shit load of people bought games through that service because, for instance, Grand Theft Auto 4 was GFWL integrated, so that impacts them as well.

On the topic of GTA 4, if you bought it on Steam, and then bought Episodes from Liberty City on Steam, you could never run them through the same client, because you couldn't activate EFLC on GFWL properly in GTA 4, rather you had to use an entirely separate install, its still that way today.

GFWL was absolutely shit in every way, the only problem with it shutting down is that its been up so long if you play PC games you probably have some titles on that service and now you're fucked out of those games.

This conclusion to this saga was foretold the moment GFWL was announced.

Caliane

so they are just shutting it down? no alternative to play those games? what horseshit.
Way to build confidence in Xbones always online future.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
What's funniest about this is that a couple weeks ago, they announced they would be closing the GFWL storefront, but that you would still be able to play games on their servers, you'd still be able to download your old content. Their exact words were something along the lines of "We continue to support the games already on the system"

Turns out, they only meant until April of next year.

Typical Microsoft.

Here's some original reporting for proof

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486186/ga...-of-its-misery

UPDATE: Games for Windows Live DRM and its related servers will be terminated on July 1, 2014.

~~~

The digital storefront known as GFWL is having its plug permanately pulled soon, and the related DRM is being patched out in a number of games :
Quote:
As part of the upcoming Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired, and the Xbox.com PC marketplace will be closed as of August 22, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows LIVE client software as usual. More information is available here.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_41014.jpg

Goodbye, shitbird. May MS stay ever out of PC gaming.

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
Fuck GFWL. Good Riddance. Playing any game that required that service made me rage. WH40k or any batman Arkham series through steam was a chore and a half. The dumbest thing is could link to your XBOX profile if you have one but, if someone turns on yourXBOXto play, it would boot you off your game on thePC. W.T.F. Happened to me a couple of times playing Arkham City, when my son decided to play on the XBOX since he couldn't get on the PC. I'd be flying along Gotham and, BOOM!, the game would kick me out. I couldn't even play WH40k single player without having to sign in. I don't know how it lasted this long honestly.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What's funniest about this is that a couple weeks ago, they announced they would be closing the GFWL storefront, but that you would still be able to play games on their servers, you'd still be able to download your old content. Their exact words were something along the lines of "We continue to support the games already on the system"

Turns out, they only meant until April of next year.

Typical Microsoft.
Ah right I thought I remembered reading that on reddit but then it was tagged as False Info or whatever because it was just the storefront going down and not the entire thing. But I guess in the end it was. Good thing, even though I guess none of the GFWL games will work after?

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Good thing, even though I guess none of the GFWL games will work after?
The digital storefront known as GFWL is having its plug permanately pulled soon, and the related DRM is being patched out in a number of games

Says so in the article hodj linked. Would have been a pretty bold move otherwise, some of these games aren't that old.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ah right but I know some games required GFWL for like cloud saving or just for the multiplayer, I guess all that shit is dying then, and they're just going to fix the issues where you can't even play the game at all.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It looks like whether a game gets the DRM patched out or not is on the company that made the game, not Microsoft.

So you can expect most of the games to never get the DRM patched out. Dark Souls I would think would definitely be one that won't be patched such that it will be remotely playable as intended after the death of GFWL.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Ah, yes, the service that made me swear I was American just so I could play DoW 2, because Xbox Live was unavailable in my country!

Never fucking again.