Xeldar

Silver Squire
REPORT: Legendary Rock Pioneer Lou Reed Dead At 71 - Business Insider

tom-waits-2.jpg

Good night sweet prince.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I like to pretend Lulu was just the result of a losing a really bad bet.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Uhhh what? Anybody that starts getting more into music is going to discover Velvet Underground, Heroin was a badass song.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i was talking about his legacy with the masses. lou reed isnt exactly a household name. i know his other stuff only because i have musician friends who talk about and play his other songs. on my own i only know his walk on the wild side song. Perfect Day i only ever heard on a duran duran cover album, Thank You (which btw is an awesome cover album, White Lines is fucking great). when i heard it on the ps4 commercial the first thing i thought of was Duran Duran. lou reed was a legit icon, but kids today or even older farts like me wont know that too well.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
RIP Lou. Looks like all those years of doing heroin finally caught up to him.
If you can live to 70+ doing smack and god only knows what else. You're winning as Charlie Sheen would say.

edit: And Chuk is right. LR is definitely not a household name, the real geniuses rarely are. I'm looking at you Mike Patton.

iannis

Musty Nester
Most musicians aren't that kind of household name. I'm pretty sure Lou Reed was happy with the fame he both deserved and earned, and I believe listening to his music that he achieved the artistic dream of shitting exactly where he wanted to.

When everyone else was playing acid-rock, talking flower power, masturbating over pictures of Paul McCartney, and generally being hippies -- Lou was keeping it real singing about Drag Races whilewearingdrag. Shit just doesn't get any more real than that!

Edit: Another man who's name you probably don't know but whose songs you've rocked the fuck out to: John Kay. He didn't have the lifelong career that Reed did, but when he was young he burned brightly.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
another name that comes to mind is Jim Steinman, made Meatloaf's career along with writing other artist's hit songs and he is virtually unknown to the non music world. when he dies i doubt he even gets a mention.