RIP Yogi Berra

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Surprised there's not already a thread about this. Am I the only one around here who was a fan of Yogi? Not as a player, because damn he was old. Just a fan of listening to him speak.

Yogi Berra, New York Yankees legend and Hall of Famer, dies at age 90

Anyone got any favorite yogi-isms? My two favorites are "He's so bad off, he don't even know what he don't know" and "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
"Make sure you go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

Or something like that. Man was a genius with a turn of phrase.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Never heard of the guy until I saw it on the news. Totally thought they were saying Yogi Bear.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
10 World Series rings is unfathomable in this day and age(and he actually played in 14)

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dude was 5'7", won 3 MVP's, and hit more home runs than Frank Thomas, Darryl Strawberry, Mo Vaugn, Cecil Fielder, Gary Carter, and George Brett. One season, He had 656 plate appearance and struck out 12 times... He wasn't just another guy on those 10 World Series teams, sometimes, he was THE guy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dude was 5'7", won 3 MVP's, and hit more home runs than Frank Thomas, Darryl Strawberry, Mo Vaugn, Cecil Fielder, Gary Carter, and George Brett. One season, He had 656 plate appearance and struck out 12 times... He wasn't just another guy on those 10 World Series teams, sometimes, he was THE guy.
Not quite

Frank Thomas has 500+ career HR, Yogi is like 350-ish

But I get your point. Yogi had good power, and also stayed productive for pretty much his entire career...his production didn't go into the tank after 10 or 12 years like a lot of guys (Mo Vaughn, Cecil Fielder, Darryl Strawberry from your example all hit 90% of their career HRs in about a 10 year span)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Two of the more impressive Yogi stats.

Over his 19 year career, only struck out 414 times and never more than 38 times in a season

At a time when they used to play a lot of day-night doubleheaders, Berra caught 119 of them (meaning both games). There was one season in the 50's where the Yankees played 22 day-night doubleheaders. He caught 21 of them.

Sterling

El Presidente
Durability/playtime stats in general were pretty strange back then. Bob Feller had 279 complete games pitched. Cy Young had 749!

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Durability/playtime stats in general were pretty strange back then. Bob Feller had 279 complete games pitched. Cy Young had 749!
I heard something interesting yesterday. When Berra first came up, he was there to see Ruth's farewell (the last time Ruth was seen in public). On the field that day honoring Ruth? 85 year old Cy Young.

Sterling

El Presidente
I heard something interesting yesterday. When Berra first came up, he was there to see Ruth's farewell (the last time Ruth was seen in public). On the field that day honoring Ruth? 85 year old Cy Young.
I always get a kick out of it whenever at the big events they bring out the alltime greats. Whatever you want to say about the game, baseball has awesome history and some real legendary personalities.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I always get a kick out of it whenever at the big events they bring out the alltime greats. Whatever you want to say about the game, baseball has awesome history and some real legendary personalities.
History in baseball is second to no other sport, the legends are near mythical.

RIP Yogi, American icon.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
RIP

rrr_img_110493.jpg